ARM Laptop: Pinebook Pro: A72, 14" IPS 1080p, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, m.2 NVMe, USB-C

World not smaller … our audience got bigger :smiley:

6 Likes

Hi @wendell,
DM or email me ([email protected]) and we’ll arrange shipping of an early production unit as they become available. Poke and probe away at it, its yours to keep.

11 Likes

Hey man. Thanks for checking into the thread and spreading some good info and gentle corrections.

I’ve been jamming out on my Pi lately was hoping for something more mobile, this laptop looks like a much better alternative to all the hacky Pi kits.

3 Likes

I have been interested in this one. I have a feeling it could become a nice little programming box to drag around.

1 Like

Pleasure. I may be wrong (will need to actually check the PCB - fun fact, I don’t have one as everything goes to community devs) but there should be an unexposed USB 2.0 header on the board … so you could actually hack something into the laptop (like a USB modem, GPS, etc.,). Same is true for the current regular Pinebook – saw a guy at FOSDEM with a GPS hacked into it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It looks as if there is a decent amount of tearing going on in this video. I assume thats just a compositor issue, is this correct?

2 Likes

Correct. Old video and this is already sorted.

4 Likes

There is something I like to point out that I should have mentioned last week.

This laptop is $200…and it has a 1080p display.

No really, HP and Dell still sell $400 laptops with chummy 768p displays.

3 Likes

That’s an excellent point. I don’t expect it to do flawless color reproduction or more than 60hz, but I’m overjoyed that we will see that many pixels

1 Like

@Luke_PINE64 Is there a newsletter I can subscribe to when the Pinebook Pro is ready for sale? I’d like to get one to play with and see what I can make it do.

2 Likes

We’re rebuilding out site (the current one is horrible and outdated), and we’re creating it with the explicit intent to offer up-to-date news on upcoming and existing devices as well as showcasing partner and user projects.

For now, however, I suggest check out the News section (stickies) on the PINE64 forum.

5 Likes

This is great to hear. The current forums look pretty ancient, lol.

Thanks, I’ll be sure to keep an eye out. Pretty excited to get one.

I’m so getting one especially after seeing the NexDock 2 on kickstarter for the same price :smiley:

More interested in the phone… The world needs this !

https://liliputing.com/2019/04/first-look-at-the-pinephone-dev-kit-running-kde-plasma-mobile-postmarketos.html

1 Like

Do you know if or when it will be possible to pre-order it?

I’m curious about that as well. With basically the two choices for phones being Google spying Android and the non-repairable expensive iOS devices the world needs a 3rd player.

1 Like

Librem 5 is gonna be a phone running Pop OS so Pinephone would be a fourth player probably :slight_smile: which is great!

The Pinephone (perhaps this should be talked about in a different thread?) is a bit of a different story. The Pinebook Pro software is 98% complete, so the laptop could come out tomorrow and most users would be perfectly happy with the state of software. Audio works, suspend works, battery works, Wifi/BT works, audio jack works … even USB-C digital video works…

The Phone is a different story. The nice picture you linked, that we and KDE tweeted yesterday, is a look into the future and a promise that this is a priority of ours and of the Linux Phone OS community. But its at a whole different level of development.

Updates for both will be quite regularly posted, so don’t worry, there will be AT LEAST a 2 months heads up for signing up for both devices.

[edit] I should have a Pinebook Pro unit more representative of the end-product at the end of the month. If you wish, we could have a live stream and you guys could pose questions live about the Pinebook Pro, have me run things one it … etc.,

5 Likes

Looking forward to a review from wendell :smiley:

I know this device isnt for me (as I am never satisfied :stuck_out_tongue:) but it is still very cool.