ARM Laptop: Pinebook Pro: A72, 14" IPS 1080p, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, m.2 NVMe, USB-C

Watch a youtube video.

If it’s hardware accelerated it will work.

If not, you’ll be dropping frames like snoop.

1 Like

False alarm I guess, video works fine.

No sound though.

The pinebook internally doesn’t have a lot in it. It was said by someone that had one that it was easy to tip over

1 Like

Is that the Pinebook or Pinebook Pro? The Pro feels fine to me.

1 Like

Did it came with Debs installed? Thought it would be Manjaro.

Came with Debian.

I’ll probably end up swapping to Manjaro once I get an NVME SSD in it, I’ve never really cared for Debian or Debian-based distros.

I do, actually. Debs XFCE has made some real wonders to my old dell laptop. But YMMV as always.

1 Like

I think I just prefer the way Arch works more than Debian.

I do like XFCE though, I even used it on Fedora.

Lol, so it turns out switching to the ‘rock’ account instead of the ‘root’ account fixed the lack of audio.

Are there any reports of battery life? With 10,000 mAh I’d imagine it’s great.

It seems pretty decent. I haven’t really gone at it, but it seems to be at least 6 hours with mixed usage. At idle the big.LITTLE setup really shines, I could probably have 12 hours or more with something just running.

you logged into root. No sound in root nor any acceleration.

Use rock/rock instead.

Also, I suggest you use Ubuntu with KDE: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8119

2 Likes

Yeah, I realized my mistake the next day. Everything was much smoother after switching to the correct account!

I’m currently waiting on a microSD card to test out other Linux distros. I’ve never used Chromium so I figured I’d try it for a little bit. And if Manjaro comes out with with a Pinebook Pro variant I’ll probably go that route.

I’ll be making a review thread on this forum at a later date once I’ve used it some more.

Sure. A Manjaro preview should be out next week. A trackpad / keyboard firmware fix will hopefully be available early next week.

2 Likes

@Luke_PINE64 Awesome, thanks for the info! Aside from a couple small kinks this thing is basically perfect.

I pumped out a review on my unit if anybody wants my thoughts on it:

2 Likes

Cheers for the review!

I very nearly bought one of these a couple of months ago, but didn’t purely due to other things i was throwing money at.

Very keen to hear long term use comments…

Thanks for the review and feedback! … as well as the shoutout :wink:

3 Likes

Hey, haven’t seen anything further on this, did this happen? Would love to see a L1 impression / teardown of the PBP. @wendell

Sending this from my PBP, love this device @Luke_PINE64, you guys really nailed this product. Thank you!

1 Like

I sent Wendell a PM about sending L1T mine, but I never heard back.

I don’t know for sure since I don’t use it, but by the sounds of the news you will have a better chance of messaging him on twitter.