Argone's Everything Everywhere All At Once Blog (1 year linux, lab, gaming, photography, and more!)

I had a medical issue yesterday. Which lead me to the Emergency Room. I was in the middle of doing something on linux prior to going to the hospital. I was setting up a network share. sudo mount -a worked initially but broke on a restart (today). So I had to enter emergency recovery mode and remove the fstab. It was an easy fix. I forgot to install cifs-utils. After I installed cifs-utils, it restarted fine with the fstab entry.

4 Likes

Hey, @Argone can I request a new feature to this?

Can you keep editing the first post, with like-

Bugs:

• a :white_check_mark:
  • b :xbox_x:
  • c :ballot_box_with_check:

and if you find them

solution to a
solution to c
3 Likes

So I have ssh running with all the proper keys. Fantastic!

1 Like

New bug and issue list I have had. Second post is now designated the bug and and issue reply.

2 Likes

Anyone got any ideas, on how to re-enable a display in popos? It says I canā€™t enable them after disabling due to hardware limitationsā€¦

Not necessarily

Do they not provide a Debian package on their download page?

This is standard. Particularly if the output is HDMI. I believe you can change this with pulse.

Are you using network manager or systemd networkd

No they do not.

About the amd drivers. I tried force installing the amd drivers for ubuntu 20.04lts. it broke my install. I couldnā€™t install anything via apt after that. I had to enter recovery mode and uninstall all the packages i had installed previously.

I did this. But it is extra annoying tinkering.

network manager.

This might helpā€¦

You donā€™t need them. What reason do you need to run AMD GPU PRO?

You are aware you do not need them as they do not yield performance boosts save in niche professional software cases right?

There is an expression we use on the Foss community. Embrace the jank. Its both good and bad

Seems they do

You seem to not understand. I need a media player app. To support direct play. Not the server deb. I prefer to direct play/stream to allow for non transcoding irl of content. It is under apps and devices. I already have the plex server running.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been able to use DLNA with VLC for that. Iā€™ve always used Kodi and yield no transcoding.

However I long since switched away from Plex. I canā€™t speak for the music oriented development its had for a year or two now.

However is transcoding taxing your server? Most Plex servers have the ability to handle a few streams?

1 Like

No. But I already pre transcoded it to preserve space and bandwidth. i.e. h264 to h265. If it does transcode it is going back to h264. All while increasing network bandwidth use. i.e. going from 10mbps h265 to 20mbps h264. Especially for access outside my lan it is an issue. I got the xbmc version of the app working on linux with wine. But the newer apps dont support windows 7 so it is an issue. I am running on the pre 2020 software for it.

Lol you made a grave error doing that transcoding my dude

A lot of devices donā€™t widely support all h265 hevc formats.

Transcoding would have to happen for silly things like 4:2:2 or not being able to handle 4:4:2

You likely should have left it h264 as a person who has been in your exact shoes

As for clients that can do this. Iā€™m not entirely sure. I knew I was able to with DLNA and VLC but Iā€™m not sure Kodi is the same way. You will need to tinker around a bit

Wait you are running xbmc in wine? On Linux?

Xmbc became kodi

Not really. My family that watches off my plex have no issues. They all use direct play and have no issues.

So why is it an issue that you canā€™t direct play on your desktop? Iā€™m not fully understanding the problem and forgive me if it seems a bit ā€œfirst worldā€.

As for direct play Kodi aka modern xbmc (none wine) has a plugin and as long as you have libx265 you should be able to direct play

I think its called kodiplexconnect or something similar

A quick search confirmed this

Because windows and mac have a native app. Linux does not. The one problem you have with plex is that watching via the browser, it doesnā€™t support direct play. With linux without wine, you have no option for native app like found on windows and mac. Browsers donā€™t support it.

Am I speaking English? Legitimately I think Iā€™ve said the below three times now friend.

Yes of course there isnā€™t a native ā€œappā€. They donā€™t care to develop one because the open source community already made one. Its the plex add-on for Kodi

My point is, you responded to my issue part of the topic. To me it is an issue with linux. A feature I had working with windows or mac easily is not even in the realm of possibility for linux. You started this convo, i just was stating why it is an issue for me on linux. Direct play is not easily achievable on linuxā€¦ That is all.

My roku, chromecast, and nvidia shield support it. I am thinking about getting a second shield to solve this problem.

I never said you didnā€™t say it. You just said for one h265 is hard to play. You also asked why canā€™t I play it on linux. I said because there was no native app; browser only. You also said I made a mistake with transcoding. Not the case. I had a full nas, now I am 50% full vs 100% full.

Iā€™m now entirely confused

Is this a client issue or a Plex server issue

If its the latter well thatā€™s trash on Plex part because emby and jellyfin both have direct play support on Linux without apps (you can use whatever client and even Firefox for direct play) and some how part of me doubts that Plex will not. Iā€™ll have to dig in and really get into the details on my own time

If that pans out to be true then its not an issue with Linux, its an issue with plex which sucks and Iā€™m sorry thatā€™s occuring

100% client issue. Not plex server.

You can defend linux. But I know the issues, lack of software support by many companies. Because people are afraid of linux. Which leads to no development. Which is an issue with people being afraid, developers not developing/porting.