Return to Level1Techs.com

Aren't you supposed to quit at quitting time?

When someone makes a comment:
Put your palm by your face and rub your nose in it
Or my fav:
“What’s that on your chin?”

0 Likes

If I was more organised I would be able to leave on time, so I don’t blame anyone when I finish a bit later than others- though my colleagues are pretty prompt at leaving on time when their shifts end :man_shrugging: no-one would have a go at me leaving work on time- I’m the last out of the building anyway (I lock up after the late shift)

0 Likes

The job I’m at now is salary. It’s the first salaried job I’ve had after only doing hourly before, and I’ve been with them for almost two years now. Somewhere during the first year I mentioned, sort of in passing, to my coworkers that I work 8 hours and no more, and leave when I’m supposed to. They didn’t say anything bad, but I got the impression that it wasn’t what’s expected. If you want to show management you’re serious, you work more.

I helped once after hours and got burned because I didn’t know how it was supposed to work to get compensated. Turns out you just leave an hour early until you get the hours back you worked.

Anyway, don’t feel bad for wanting to be paid for your work. After being hourly for so long I expect to be compensated fairly for my time. I’m in at 8 and I leave exactly at 5, with an hour unpaid lunch. If my coworkers want to give the company free time, that’s their problem.

2 Likes

But at work some seem to take offense to this habit of mine. Any thoughts or advice?

I once got marked down in a performance review for not going to lunch with my coworkers often enough.

I’ve always been a “bad cultural fit”.

Going freelance was the best career decision for me. I don’t make as much as I could working for some tech behemoth, but all of the other benefits outweigh the money, for me.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s not about your quitting time, but the lack of shmoozing that they’re hinting at. “Team player” and all that.

That would be me. lol Scoring low on agreeableness “helps” with that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreeableness

1 Like

Team player, french for do what we all do whether it makes sense or not.

1 Like

Pas très gentille…

0 Likes

You may be right. Actually, I’m fairly ‘agreeable’ but I’m an introvert’s introvert. After 9 hours of dealing with a constant stream of people and all their demands, I’m ready to go home and decompress. So I hit the pavement with gusto.

@imhigh.today I tried eBay as a side gig for a while, and it wasn’t a good fit for me. Too much extra paper work and doing ‘customer service’ sucked.

2 Likes

That’s what I figured.

The skill of being liked or at least respected by colleagues and managers seems almost more important than the ability to do the job well. If you can nail both, so much the better.

But being too isolated from the “group” seems to stoke insecurities and resentment. Understanding this, sometimes an extra nice person from the group will make efforts to include the loners into the socializing.

1 Like

This again is not correct and is a narrative pushed by management for free labour and employees who won’t stand up for themselves.

And don’t kid yourself, it is free labour.

If you do extra hours, which is fine, take your toil.

Half of my work has the work extra hours mentality (with no toil) and the other half of the employees were all on the same page, we’ll work extra for more money or toil. We won’t work for free.

Now that we have newer employees in replacing the retiring ones who had the must work for free mentality the other half are coming around to the idea as well that working for free is silly.

No one is strict about if they do an extra 20 minutes here or there, but anything over an hours means there leaving early Friday, taking toil next week, or putting in for overtime.

4 Likes

By toil I presume you mean Time Off In Lieu? As in: you informally agree to an extra half hour or half shift one day, in exchange for the same (or more) time off another shift/day?
It might be called something else in other places

2 Likes

Yup we have that where I am. Standard hours are 8-4:30 but you can come in a 7 and leave at 5 as you please for overtime pay or time in lieu, just tell them which first.

Most take the time as the tax on the OT pay wipes it out anyway.

0 Likes

First of all, what do you do?

I can think of two scenarios, where you might be required to work passed your hourly schedule.

If its food service your might be required to stay on the clock if you’re facing a rush of customers. Wait staff typically does not have control of their clock out time.

Here are the scenarios.

Establishment is facing a rush, they could keep you on longer. Depends on how scummy your boss is.

Someone didnt show up to work. This would typically make things messy. You could ask to go home but you could be turned down.

Is all of this legal? Absolutely, and you could get laid off if you take clock out time in your own hands. If you are paid by the hour. Kinda hard these days to get wrongful termination cases won.

0 Likes

Yes, exactly that.

Tax might take a chunk, but you always make more money. My work will general favour toil as its costs them less.

2 Likes

to put my 2 cents into this:

when i started at my current job i was in the office around 07.30/08.00 was doing an hour lunch break with the guys and then working until 18.00/19.30 sometimes 21.00.

mostly because i needed to get as quickly into the job and the product and the tools and whatnot as possible. just as it was in my old job.

in both jobs this happened:

• boss noticed it
  • boss asked whats up
  • told the above to the boss
  • boss encouraged me

meanwhile:

• some of the guys were suspicious of what i was doing
  • some of the guys told me to chill / take it easy
  • some of the guys thought it make them look bad

so if your behaviour is accepted by your superior but not your team, i guess thats mostly to a different attitude that the team has than you. try to use that.

i dont know what you are working, how your workflow is and what can be done but try to use that difference for your teams work and workflows, maybe you need to be creative about that but since it seems to be an issue right now, try to fix it and improve while doing so.

at one time at my current job, i was in the office by 07.00 and doing a bunch of stuff pro actively, doing an hour lunch break and leaving by 16.00 since my co-worker showed up between 10-11 and worked till 20/21 so we had people working and being available from 07-21 which wasnt needed really but came in handy very much.

its all about using different aspects of your attitude and your teams attitude to the advantage of your team / department, maybe aks your boss or vp or whatever about it to find a solution or a workaround or something.

2 Likes

If you are leaving “right on the minute” it means you quit working and started packing up some time before the end of your shift.

Yes, the end of your shift, feel free to leave, but if others are finishing the tasks and maybe putting in the time to catch up or whatever and you work in a team environment then expect people to be annoyed.

I’m not saying to put in 80 hour weeks or whatever, but make sure you’re not ALWAYS the first one to leave and not ALWAYS out the door “on the minute”.

Especially if you’re not getting things done at least as well or as fast as the others in your team. If you’re a gun and making them look stupid fair enough but if you’re not… and leaving before they are… you might look like an asshole.

Definitely if you are not arriving on or before time, it will make you look like an asshole. Because if you’re ALSO getting there “right on the minute”, it will take you a few minutes at least to start work… lets say 15 min to get settled and stuck into it… that adds up…

Spending say 5-10 minutes after is not much out of your day and makes you look a LOT better in the eyes of everyone else.

1 Like

That is factored into the work time where we are. You finish at half 4 but you have stopped working around 4:20 to be able to clean up, clean your area, your self, change clothes and then ready to go on time.

1 Like

Some jobs that may be the case. Some maybe not.

Also in my post above i’m talking about perceptions other staff may have and why - not necessarily what the letter of your employment contract says.

Following the contract to the letter of the law may not make you look good in the eyes of your co-workers if they are putting in more effort.

3 Likes

I think some companies “require” employees to arrive 10 mins before shift to allow for uniform changes, slight lateness, etc.
I get the impression it is done because those companies deal with less than reliable workers, possibly even paying them so little that the employees give less than 0 effs about the job.
End result is an hours effective unpaid overtime every week.

2 Likes

My problem currently is more like I usually work about 1-30minutes longer than what Id have to generally put in a day. But then there are some days where ‘everybody leaves’ hours before the usual time and then I often times go with them to do ‘social stuff’ with them, or I leave after sitting there 2 hours alone. And then there are some days I get in later, because of one reason or another. That’s mostly fine. But it added up to a few negative hours over the months I’ve been working there. Less than a day, but still. Although, I also didn’t take a lot of time off yet and my boss actually pushed me to allocate time off (and I’m like thinking to myself ‘Do you want a day off I’ll trade it for a positive sign on that number.’, but I didn’t suggest that yet, because maybe I’ll figure out how to balance that out again).

I also don’t really know what to do with the ‘time off’. Sure enough I also like having nothing to do sometimes. But now that I have to manually allocate the time as opposed to school, where the time off was dictated. It makes me feel like I should have a plan for said time off. I really don’t though. I have a plan for 1 week this year. That’s it. The rest I have no clue what I’m gonna do. Probably nothing special. Witch is why I really have no idea when and why to take it.

So I should get up earlier in general. Working 1 hour earlier on most days would give me much more freedom in being able to come later some days, when I have to do something on business hours or whatever it might be and not feel bad about it.
Getting up in the morning isn’t really my strong suite. But I should still work on making it to work on a ‘more sane time’ the majority of days.

0 Likes