Return to Level1Techs.com

Aren't you supposed to quit at quitting time?

I mean it’s called quitting time for a reason. But some of my co-workers have been making comments about how I leave right on the minute, and I think I just got dissed by one for doing so. I generally show up for work on time, and if I am late, it’s not more than a minute or two. If there’s a crisis, I will stay late and help out, but usually when it’s time to leave…I leave. Promptly.

The team I work with is generally considered a pretty tight, so I’m leery of making waves, generally pissing people off and causing a “management issue.” At the same time I don’t want to be taken advantage of or steamrolled.

It seems silly to me that since I’ve been talking to these people all day that staying an extra five or ten minutes shooting the breeze will make a difference. But at work some seem to take offense to this habit of mine. Any thoughts or advice?

2 Likes

I stop working on the minute but I dont care if it takes me a minute or so to get to my car

at my current job I work until I’m told to go home

1 Like

I am salary so I quit when I am done for the day.

Normally in early to work on stuff without distraction. Sometimes I leave on the dot, sometimes later. Every now and then I leave early. And I take my lunch when I feel like it.

0 Likes

I usually leave a few minutes early but I’m typically much more early coming in to work so I don’t feel bad.

1 Like

If leaving work when you are supposed is a problem you have a shitty work culture.

10 Likes

Hmm…just to be clear, management has said diddly about my “bad habit.” It’s my co-workers that appear to have an issue with it. It’s almost as if they’re offended by it. I’m not real good with social cues, so it’s possible I’m not reading the situation correctly.

In spite of management seemingly being OK with it - or at least neutral-, I don’t want my co-workers to make sufficient waves to get the higher-ups involved.

0 Likes

But co-workers are a part of the culture… they shouldn’t say shit about you leaving on time.

2 Likes

Assert dominance and make eye contact as you punch out.

10 Likes

LOL. This ain’t Fight Club. I don’t feel like getting a new ‘job’ at the local penitentiary.

0 Likes

You eyeballing me , boy. lol

1 Like

Stare at their forehead when they talk shit to you about leaving on time, they’ll stop immediately

3 Likes

2 Likes

If your on salary and are consistently working late your earning less than everyone else.

Your work colleagues should not be encouraging working late. I wonder if they realise how much money there losing out on.

If I work late enough times I take a day extra off…

0 Likes

Do you like me boy?

0 Likes

Its the statement made just before an old man beats your ass. He did not like the way you were looking at him.

0 Likes

Why so hostile?

0 Likes

I swear…

0 Likes

If you’re paid by the hour, you punch out and walk out the door precisely on time.

If you work a salary and are a higher-level employee, you’re typically expected to work as long as necessary to get the job done. If that means you work 57 hours a week instead of 50 hours, that is completely normal and just how it is.

That doesn’t mean stuff like Chinese 996 (9AM-9PM, 6 days/week) are OK, or the 85+ hour crunch times Epic developers were expected to work, etc, are OK. And Japan’s culture of very long hours but not actually producing anything followed by forced drinking is particularly poisonous.

As a salaried high-level employee in the US, you get the job done, and whenever that is, you walk out the door. If it’s a slow day I leave at 4PM. If the house is burning down, I work all night.

3 Likes

Not completely, salaried employees have fixed weekly hours, while you might be expected to “get the job done” you should also be expected to take those hours back at another time.

An employer who isnt letting you do this is an employer taking advantage of a workforce.

Like i said, if your working 5 extra hours a week consistently, adjust your salary appropriately so you understand what your actually getting. Then realise you probably need a new job.

2 Likes

Of course you should always evaluate your compensation versus the time you put in. Higher-level jobs should make more money.

0 Likes