Aremis' New Hardware! Not what was wanted, but it'll do

As usual I had to make a compromise. In fact the largest compromise possible. Its not the laptop I wanted.

I’ve been hyped for an oryx for almost 2 months now. Welp, I went to go sign on to finance, and not only was my report rejected by Klarna, the company that HAS my report either won’t give it to them, or has a folder with my name on it and nothing in it. I literally never use credit.

Aight so whatcha get?

An MSI GS63VR.

Specs:

Core i7 6700HQ
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB Ram @ 2666
128GB SK Hynix M.2 SSD
1TB Seagate HDD @ 7200RPM
1080p IPS display @ 60Hz.

Compared to the oryx:

Core i7 8750H
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB Ram @ 2666
250GB NVME SSD
2TB SSHD
1080p IPS display at 60Hz

So yeah its 2 CPU gens behind, not the best GPU for the mone-

The price was reasonable

700 Bucks.

It has some case damage and the one antenna mount is knocked off the wifi card. I know the owner, he knows I check this stuff, he instantly dropped the price 100 bucks. I only wanted 20 off for the wifi card price because the case has to push the terminal wire onto the card to get it to work. No bueno.

So other than some fuckery with the case because a monkey opened it, and the one terminal on the wireless card, it runs fine. Looks like it was stolen, actually, and then not even used for a gaming machine very much, pawned, then the last owner had it for a year.

Opened it, looked at the board, did drive checks, everything checks out!

I’ll test it, poke things, but I think foer the moment until I get some new drives (because I still want NVME and I believe its capable of it, also a bigger second drive), I think I’ll leave it on windows for a bit. It has W10, I might as well stream some dark souls or something, right?

Heres a video on the machine.

Not an Oryx. I’m still getting an oryx, though, just not right now. Maybe in a year. And by then there may be an i9 available and the 20 series nvidia chips, and maybe AMD, who knows.

For now, the laptop is still at the shop. I could only pay for half at the moment, and what I have on me otherwise is getting used for christmas. So it can wait a bit, I’m still doing good on muh thinkpad.

But hot damn 700 bucks. What a deal. I bet I could find one new old stock open box and it’d still be over 1000 dollars. And the MSI I was even looking at that was at best buy I think was even similar spec to this one, just six cores. But 7700HQ, not 6700HQ. Or whatever the first gen six cores are.

Oh well. Time to eat dinner, hit a wax dab in celebration of voting accomplishments, do some dick flips in Tony Hawn Pro Skater 4, and go to bed at 4 AM or something.

Night.

4 Likes

Never thought I’d see the day.

Good on you.

3 Likes

Top kek. I’m still annoyed about Klarna, but I’ll just buy outright in a year when I have a better job sorted out. Hopefully that happens soon.

The MSI will be fine. I hope XD

I have more to say but brain has turned to mush. So other wise cool that sound like a fun night.

I also have a 6700HQ based system.

1 Like

It helps me not want to die. Thats all it is.

1 Like

Not too shabby, a pascal GPU is what you’d want in a modern laptop anyway. :+1:

2 Likes

Oh no I am totally in the same boat there. Got beers in tonight. Total brain shut down for the weekend.

I wonder how this 1060 will compare to my 580… Eh. Its probably the same tbh. Or at least damn close.

I wish the machine had MXM. That would have been killer.

Frankly, that is probably your issue. You want to build a history. I would get a single credit card and keep a lowish limit (say, 500 or something) and don’t spend money you don’t have in the bank at the moment.

I got rejected when I tried to finance my first car because I didn’t have a lot of credit history.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Get CC, use wisely. Have bills you can pay off go-to them. Run a small balance if you want, your score will rocket up

Does the score really go up faster by carrying a balance?

Mine did across all 3 bureaus. It could really good when I put a bunch on it then paid off over time. I think your high watermarks do affect your score.

1 Like