Aremis' New Build

For now only the start, but power supply is coming tomorrow, and I wanted to sell some more before I bought the CPU, but I might just grab it. Still deciding.

So here’s my new build. Finally x.x

First off the mobo. It had a cover over the back plate area that covered the VRM cooling, so I took that off, as well as the stupid little metal plate they glued to the top one. For the SSD I’m just using the 128GB M.2 I have laying around spare to boot. I’ll eventually get a 1TB NVME drive to stick in the other slot. As well, trimmed the pad on the SSD heatsink to only cover the controller. Don’t wanna cool the memory!

Case! Came in the mail today. My dad thought it was huge. Footprint wise, sure, but not really over all.

I have one of the updated H100i V2 kits with the new seals, never used for AM4 but has the AM4 bracket in it? Guessing the last owner got a new one after his previous one exploded. Either way, this was traded for a GPU. I don’t like the socket mount I don’t think, so I think I might get a Kraken X62 later on. The Block mount is kinda jank though…

It’ll do fine for right now I think. Only held in with 2 screws, but I don’t mind. I could move one of those fans to the back, but atm I want to try a full push pull on the water block and see how it works out.

And this is just a fit test.

Specs of finished product

HAF EVO XB Contaning:
Gigabyte Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming
AMD 3900 X
H100i V2 (AM4 Kit)
64 GB DDR4-2133 (2X32GB)
Nvidia GTX 970 (EVGA ACX 2.0)
Nvidia Grid K2
EVGA 750w Supernova G+
128GB Kinston A400 (I think?) (Boot)
60GB Kingston A400 (Scratch)
3TB WD Green (Linux Home / Windows Game Storage)
500GB Dell HDD (Mac OS Storage)
250 GB WD Blue (Mac OS Storage)
1TB WD Black (Video / Mediia Storage)

I will be getting these parts later to either Add or Upgrade:
Radeon RX 5700XT
64GB (4X16) DDR4-36 or 3800
1TB Samsung 970 (NVME)
Probably some fans tbh
Maybe a bigger PSU

So you might be wondering, ok, why the K2? Well, general plans for right now are to run VM’s for stuff. I have these K2’s doing nothing right now, so I figured throw one in! For what I’m playing right now, I’ll just dual boot, but the K2 is built for VM work so I figured I’d play with it. Eventually when I get my 5700XT I’ll go out and grab a single slot GPU of some sort (Probably a GTX 9800 Katana because I can get one easily) and keep the 970 in the system. The 9800 will be my host card, the 5700XT will go to windows when I don’t need it for compute, and the 970 will go to OSX, all run in VM’s.

The over all point of this machine is to get rid of other X86 machines I don’t use, unless its collectable or otherwise special to me. The only processors I want in my house are a 3900X, some arm chips, and everything else needs to have a specific purpose. Sparc can’t be emulated easily, nor can PPC. I’m sure I could run a PPC emulated environment, but I’d be better off doin it on the real hardware. At least until I get a talos, then all my PPC machines can buzz off too (Then just a sun Ultra 60! But that’ll be an upgrade from my sun blade). By the end I should be doing well off.

More pics tomorrow when my PSU comes in.

Edit: Just want to insert here that I just ordered a 120mm fan, 2 80mm fan’s, and a pcie wifi adapter for laptop chips. I have so bloody many I figure I might as well throw something in for a backup connection. As well, I don’t want my storage baking. I realized I have had a mac pro and it cooled everything so my hard drives actually performed really well. So I should proooobably cool them.

Edit 2: Cancelled the wifi adapter I think they’re made in china on demand. I’d rather not lol. I’ll figure something else out.

Edit 3: Fuck it I’ll just order the processor I’m ok.

Anyways more later.

9 Likes

Nothing beats a ethernet cable :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol I have ethernet, the wifi is just a backup.

I’d go with the 3600 over the 3800, it’ll be easier to run and cheaper too, some chips don’t even like to run infinity fabric on native 3800 without a divider or out of synch

plus remember when Wendell did some testing and found the OS was throwing errors out when running 3200 on zen+ even though it was “optimal” for speed, purely speculation but I’d wager something similar would happen on the edge of it’s “stable” performance

1 Like

PSU came today!

Never realized how heavy these can get. Its gotta weigh 2X as much as my antec 500W.

I kinda just made the cables work. The case is designed to have you stuff the cables between stuff underneath so cable routing isn’t a problem… I’m wondering though if SFX is a better choice for this thing. I don’t remember my friend’s PC being this difficult with the PSU going in. I guess this one could be longer?

Dunno

Side view. Its not pushing on the HDD tray very much, but it does make me wish CM would cover the PCB there…

Lastly, need to figure out air supply for the K2. I THOUGHT I couldi have it be bumped right up to the fan, and that would have been perfect. Well, not gunna work. I’ll figure something out I think.

CPU and some fans come tomorrow.

2 Likes

I am vibrating waiting for this mail truck

Well

It works

Sorta

@THEkitchenSINK recieved some of my ram and turns out… it doesn’t work in ryzen systems.

F
U
I
N
T
E
L

So now I have to either fisd some ram tonight, somehow, or wait, which I’ve been doing for years atp.

Edit: bought a 16gb kit of some ballistix. That’ll do. I’m a little let down that I had to buy more crap, but I’ll pick it up tomorrow morning so nbd.

1 Like

OOOLala. That is a spicy meatball my friendo.

1 Like

Fank you

Just getting some little things done

2 Likes

Yes let the ghetto flow through you

welcome to the HAF XB EVO club.

cable management, it’s much easier work in the case if you mount the motherboard onto the panel and take the motherboard tray out as you figure out cable management. Route your cables with the motherboard off, once you have all the cables routed, then install the motherboard.

If you are having issues with power cables, I’d suggest you to unscrew the psu, and move it back so you have space to plug in the cables. Once you get all your cables, you need to do cable management.

Be very careful when working with the sata connections on the hot swap bays. They are very easy to break. Luckily CM sells replacement pcbs. I broke the plastic cover a while back. The plastic cover for the port gives pressure to keep the male sata cable connected to the female end. A janky fix was to use hot glue to keep the pressure.

I ran into similar issues when I built in the case for my first time.

If you ever need help with it, hmu on discord and I can run through it over video call

Actually, I rationaled this shit and decided something was goofy with my water cooler because I had the same thought and checked and it was around 1 volt give or take.

And I can’t even have boost on because this board is fucky. Apparently thats a thing that can happen rarely. So I’ll be returning this board and spending the extra 40 or 60 bucks on an asus x570-p or an asrock steel legend eventually. For now, I can live without boost to have 36 degrees.

Anyways, the mount was bad. The pipes were coming at a bad angle and causing bad pressure. I adjusted it and its somewhat better now. I may need to fuck with it some more. I still can’t run with turbo though.

I usually watch buildzoid and GN for board recommendations, he usually tells you about wonky stuff like that or if a boards sensors are fubar
Haven’t kept up on x570 like I did b450 and x470

Well I mean the only thing here is I can’t have a turbo. Oh no how horrible whatever shall I do. I don’t often have 3.6GHz, let alone 3.8. I can be happy with 3.8 ghz if it means 32 deg C (if my pump is correctly mounted and my bios isn’'t freaking out, btw, reflashed to F42G because the F50 VGA bug hit me today, luckily I has flashback) with a cooler that sorta fits somehow. Its not quiet… but it does the job. Its quiet enough.

Last round of this magic.

Got my last 2 fans today in the mail. They were delayed but got here faster than I expected. So I decided to tear the whole system down, get everything perfect, and then never open it again till I get another card to put in or a better CPU cooler, which is the next upgrade as far as I’m concerned, and I’ll explain why in a little while.

First off, I wanted those fans in.

When the board was out not much happened, the bottom cable setup is kinda messy, decided not to show that lol.

Board back in, some cables moved around. Mostly I wanted to comment on how well planned out this board is. I’m genuinely impressed.

Reasons I decided to keep this board:

1: USB C on it.
2: Runs fine without turbo, which I don’t need in the first place to be honest I’ll just keep looking for a perfect board in my price range for later.
3: All the fan headers are exactly in the perfect spots.

Theres one on either side of the PCI cage, 2 pump headers on either side of ATX Power, theres a CPU_OPT right next to the CPU_Fan plug, and off in the far bottom right corner is one more fan header. I’,m used to OEM boards where you just kinda deal with what you get. This turned out perfect.

Cooler no longer jank mounted, fans inside the front cover sandwhiched to the frame. If I get a new cooler I think I’ll do a 280. Take advantage of the space, etc. Anyways, For now I just have the fans that came with the H100i. My next immediate upgrade is going to be some noctua fans with high CFM at low RPM. These ones rattle a little.

Cards in. I had the power cables coming from the side but decided airflow wise that front to back was better.

Stayed straight enough I think. Out of the way at least.

I know cable management around the pump doesn’t matter but…

IDK I’m proud of this.

And I feel kinda clever for this…

And on the other side…

A small USB board that I yoinked out of a business machine 10 years ago exactly, give or take a few weeks ;3

Which then allows my pump to be plugged in without a cable out the back of my machine. As well, a bluetooth USB dongle for dat steem controller.

As you probably saw earlier.

I like it a lot.

Do you like my snek?

Now for some temps.
On reboot I ran Furmark and wanted to show my temps being able to normalize and temps with some random shit happening. I decided Tarkov unzipping an update would be good enough, as well as in game temps from doom!

This is typical idle temps

During furmark, takes very little time for the chip to get hot, but can run stable at full heat full load, at least I can do stuff in a browser if I need to.

Temps Returning

Temps when CPU cooled off

Temps during a pretty busy scene in DOOM (2016)

Temps during a tarkov update unpack. I haven’t updated in a while so there was 2GB to undo. I figured that was a good enough bench without going out and specifically getting the 7zip bench because… I’m lazy.

Performance is what you’d expect. Fast, snappy. No lag or slowness anywhere. Just can’t have my turbo, and honestly, most of the time I’m lucky to have 3.2GHz, so I’m definitely satisfied with 3.8GHz

/thread.

Edit: I never explained why I am getting a new cooler next.

I think theres a bubble in my lines that gets in my pump and after a while it decides to climb temp. If I unplug replug the pump, bang, goes back to normal. Now as my temps above are what I’m dealing with, I want a whole 5 degrees off of that, if not mole. So my plan right now is to get a H115i Pro or a CLC 280 and possibly some phanteks fans. I’m leaning on the 115 because of the quieter pump. New cooler, bigger heat exchange, less problems, less heat, no bubble.

4 Likes

How is the build?

Pretty much what I expected / wanted to be honest. Stays under 65C, even when gaming / streaming, and takes everything I can throw at it. I was a little scared that it would do what the first 6 core intel chips did where the first 2 cores were good and the rest weren’t as powerful. None of that here.

EDIT: I want to say that I expect these things from my old machines because either it would be too old to run something, some firmware would cause an issue, or it would do some dumb shit because it was a pre-built.

Windows has yet again let me down, however thats because their display tech is fucking ancient. It couldn’t differentiate between my GPU’s and either the DE would crash on loop between the 2 cards, or it would blue screen on loop. So I’m doing my full linux setup today. I would have last night but something came up.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.