Are there any Ryzen motherboards with decent SATA controllers?

I’m parting out a build for a super small VM lab box, but looking to save the single PCIe slot from the Mini-ITX board for a 10g NIC. Meaning, if I want to implement a RAID array I’d need ot use the onboard SATA controller, but nearly all of these are AsMedia AFAIK and they don’t tend to perform well under load in a RAID configuration. Anyone know of a SATA controller that could be capable of saturating at least 1GB/s read/write speeds in a Raid 10 or is at least stable?

Plan is to use 2-4 SSDs as a local datastore for ESXi, might swap to AHCI mode later for testing with FreeNAS

if the itx mobo has a m.2 slot you can get a adapter to add a sata card of your picking… the internal sata controllers are ok on asrock and gigabyte from my experience i have no experience with with raid on the internal sata controllers though ymmv

i am using the gigabyte b350m itx

Asrock AB350 ITX uses an AMD SATA controller.

If it’s a rebadged Asmedia, my OS can’t tell.

My ASUS x370-PRO uses these:

$ lspci | grep SATA
02:00.1 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] X370 Series Chipset SATA Controller (rev 02)
0e:00.2 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)

And the ASUS x570-PRO has these:

$ lspci | grep SATA
06:00.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
07:00.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
0d:00.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
0e:00.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)

I have no idea why the x570 has more controllers when the x370 has 8 ports and the x570 has 6 ports.

Although there’s some other weird stuff in the Linux dmesg log that makes me think the x370 actually has nine ports, with one assigned to its single M.2 slot. Maybe the x570 has eight with two assigned to its two M.2 slots. Just in case someone plugs in a SATA M.2 card.

Anyway, as for speed, my x370 does a weekly btrfs scrub on six drives and reports:

Rate:             737.28MiB/s

I think it could go faster since that’s six drives at about 120 MB/s. They’re just 5,400 WD Reds.

Actually I know it can go faster, because I forgot I have a pair of SATA SSDs in there too, in their own array and their scrub is fast:

Rate:             1.08GiB/s

so those numbers are from the x370 board, I think it meets your requirements.

1 Like

Those rates are encouraging, but I need a board in Mini-ITX formfactor :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.