Are the Kingston Hyper X Cloud IIs still King?

No, maybe he's just misinformed. Or maybe Kingston's own website is wrong, which is where I got leatherette from. I've worked as a developer for a marketing site before, so I know sometimes specs on company websites can be wrong.

Did the Cloud II's get improved in any way, or did they just add the inline USB for virtual 7.1? If that's the only difference I would almost just say save some $$ and get the original Cloud's.

In the datasheet is says leatherette.

Comfortable — 100% memory foam on headband and
leatherette cushions

Page 2

To OP, I think the current best combination for gaming at sub $100 is the Philips SHP9500 and the VMODA Boom Pro. The Philips sound spectacular for their price, and the VMODA BoomPro is easily a tier above any built in headset mic. It's also removable so nothing's permanent. Current price for the combo is ~$86, so it's not only cheaper than the Cloud II, it's also better.

EDIT: Forgot the review links

3 Likes

The best

WOW... That guy's review has me sold, and saw/read some things from other people. The only concern I have is that material. It's durability (that material, headphones seem to have solid build quality) and my skin can get very, very oily.. It's just like that naturally. I suppose it's because my mother never breast fed me as a baby. I'm not sure. But anyway, V-Moda BoomPro + Those seem like the best option at this point. Fuck the Cloud IIs...

However. There's one big problem. Canada. The difference in price is staggering. $160 here, vs 60 over there, with the exchange rate is just shy of $100 CDN. And sometimes in the U.S. it is around 70. Still way, way cheaper.

BUT... NOW. This is where it gets interesting. Newegg Canada is selling what looks to be a Newegg exclusive? And the price...?

Apparently they're an exclusive black? Now you may be asking me: "Well why the fuck is he still worried?"

Because they're some sort of SHP9500S variant. What the fuck's the difference?

According to Philips themselves, absolutely nothing.

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?40437-Difference-between-SHP9500-and-SHP9500S

Hmm, well. I JUST bought them. Along with a V-Moda BoomPro

:D

However, I did just read that person's post on Philips' forum. Less gold? Cheaper wire? WHA? No adapter? No bag? Shame... Guess they cheaped out a little on it?

1 Like

Still say the clouds. I don't use the 'leather' ones much, but they're pretty comfortable, and have put many many hours into the cloth ones. As like you I have relatively oily skin but I haven't had any issues with the headset.

I agree with a different poster though, the original clouds are your better bet with the 3.5mm instead of the USB. I only got the 2's after my dog ripped a cable out and I screwed up the device trying sauder it back.

Oh, well there you go. I can't say anything about those headphones or modmic but I will say that my ant lion modmic beats out the quality of the clouds mic pretty good. But when you're playing halo with buddies as long as they can hear you clearly who needs great quality?

Meh. I'll have a better mic, and well... better headphones this way. Would be great if the Clouds were the ultimate one-piece solution to buy. But they really aren't. Pleather? That flakes off and sticks to your head. Like I've learned with my shitty-ass MDRXB500s. Total crap, actually. I just got $200 headphones for $64. I think that speaks for itself. I'm really happy!

1 Like

Yeah I had those issues in the past with other headphones. Like I said I don't use them with my clouds because of that reason, the cloth ones are super comfy though. I just like having the single wire for everything when I'm playing Xbox. Usually on my PC I use my ear buds or 50x's.

Open back headphones and a mic are not a good idea to mix. Sound bleed will be an issue.
I'm in Australia a hot country I've had zero issues with the ear cups with around a years daily use of the cloud II's.

I think it's mainly pinching pennies to hit a lower price point. Hell, gold doesn't make any difference in sound, it's just good for oxidation resistance and looking pretty.

The BoomPro "solves" the first two issues, and the other ones I think are kinda moot.

I own open headphones almost exclusively and I've never had a problem with sound bleed. In the Z-review video of the BoomPro I linked above he actually plays music in the background at apparently a rather loud level and his voice was still clear and defined.

FUCKING NEWEGG! Bought both things simultaneously, and they're still processing my transaction for the V-Moda. Fucking slow-ass motherFUCKERS!