Are all case fans created equal?

Looking at new fans.
This one

and this one

I see the CFM is better on the cheaper fan. I am not sure about Static pressure but I think I saw on another site the cheaper fan boasted a higher SP as well.
The question is, is there something other than
"quit"?
Or is there something to the higher priced fans?
should I just look at stats? I am just looking for 2 high air flow fans and 2 high SP fans

Oh man, you're in for a ride.
At the basic level, case fans have 3 specs you should look for, CFM, Noise, and Static pressure. Static pressure is usually difficult to find or meter, not many people test it. Airflow as marketed is almost always in an open, unrestricted environment, ie. not at all like when mounted in a computer case. To further complicate things, different fans will have different direction of airflow, some are very focused, others just "throw" the air in the case. Thats before we even talk about SP or noise.
Noise seems simple, the lower the db the quieter the fan. Well, yes and no. The sound profile of the fan can change a lot too. A fan with a mild or low hum at 30db will often seem quieter than a high pitched fan at say 25db. So not only do you want to look at total noise measured in db, but also the sound profile. I suggest watching a video with the fan so you can get a rough estimate of the noise.
Finally, static pressure. While it may not seem like a big deal, depending on the mounting position and the use of the fan often a SP optimized fan is a better choice than airflow. Pushing air through HDD cages or drawing in from restricted intakes severely impacts airflow optimized fan's performance. For example, in my old R5 case I had much better performance in temperatures and in acoustics simply by switching from airflow optimized noctua fans to SP optimized Gentle Typhoons.
Word to the wise, manufactures will always test the specs on their fans, CFM, SP, etc. under BEST CASE situations. Dont take their word for it, take an independent, third party's opinion on the issue. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
So what fan is right for you? well, out of the two you posted, go with the corsair. The cooler masters are cheap, break easily, will make a lot of noise after not a lot of time, and generally do not perform well. The corsairs, while perhaps a bit expensive, will perform better and last longer. Are they the best bet? probably not! Will they work? Yeah, its a fan, dont sweat it too much.

If you'd like, post a little more about your case, components, and intended use, as well as if you care about noise and all that and I'd be happy to help you choose some fans that fit your needs! I've got a bit of experience in the department.

7 Likes

In general yes, in practice no. But honestly any air flow is better then none and the differences are not going to be game breaking even if you get higher end fans.

Major Differences:
Air flow (its source effects it i.e. how restricted)
Control
Sound
Features (RGB ECT)

No proper testing standards so go on recommendations or trusted reviewers or just what looks good in your build :slight_smile:

The Corsair fans may be overpriced for what they really are but I like the look and I've not had one fail on me. Though I don't actually like the new LED fans and prefer the older style.

On the flip side for my "server" builds that run 24/7 I tend to re-use server grade fans re-cycled from old servers. I just dismantled a CISO 6500 Catalyst which had run for years in a server room and the fans appear to work perfectly still. They may not have the design of a "gamer" fan but they are significantly more powerful.

I was tempted to just mount the tray by my desk for summer cooling.

I have an old NZXT H?

It has 3 HDs in the front Thus the need for SP fans and the need for AF fans in the bottom and exhaust. I suppose I am going for the corsair as I do have a bit of congestion in the case. was just wondering if I could trust the stats.

Any fellow Arctic enthusiasts?

1 Like

I've got 4 Corsair SP fans in my main system on two rads and they fine in that application. I like the Noctua fans even better but they are not to everyone's taste.

I'm following this thread too because I was looking to upgrade the stock fans on my Enthoo Pro and I'm totally lost when it comes to fans and their performance.

HEYAAAAA...
Arctic are extremely cheep and extremely good...
In my country I can buy F12 Arctic PWM, TC or whatever for dirt cheap...

Yes and no...
AF and SP as numbers are meaningless... Those numbers are taken from the fans in laboratory conditions. In the second you put something in front or behind the fan - everything changes.
EXAMPLE: I have a Fractal Design case. The Fractal Design old SSR2 fans are really quiet. They barely push any air through those thick air filters... But they are quiet and look good and are 140mm...
On the other hand, I have a pair of Arctic F12 fans. Silent... SILENT... They are running air through a dual tower air cooler and don't even care.
Here is a nice old video:

Don't masturbate...

Best advice i can give you - Arctic F12, daisy chain them (PST model can do that easily)

$25, you have perfect balance...

PS: Forgot one more thing - 20dBa can sound many different ways. So a fan, that is 25dBa can sound way quieter, although it is not, than a fan, that is 20dBa... My point being the numbers give you a rough estimation... But they are not really the most important thing.

2 Likes

My new chassis only comes with a single 120mm LED Fan, so since I bought a CPU cooler from Arctic and was impressed with the quality for low cost($30), I went and found 2 x 120mm F12s and a 140mm F14 for a total of $17 and change.
They even have a model that has a built-in PWM circuit that detects any other fans in the daisy chain and controls them in unison.

I'm not sure if someone has mentioned it. But for Fans there are two important things.

High Static pressure (SP) fans, these are the fans you want to mount to heatsinks, radiators etc where the fan needs to force air past the fins at a high rate and not be subject to 'reflected' air slowing it down. These fans are also usually the noisiest due to the high pressure and associated turbulence.

Then there are high airflow fans (AF) these are your go to for case fans when you are merely moving air through an unobstructed opening such as in your case fan mounts. They are a lot quieter and efficient for that specific task.
You can use SP fans for the case if you want to go mad, but the downside is you are effectively turning your case into a dust pump at that point and it will sound quite a lot louder.

I disagree with you, buddy.
Define series, H440, Phanteks Evolve series, InWin cases, BeQuiet cases, and that awfully, awfully restricted H320... Those cases all need heavy static pressure fans in order to get any air inside the case. Especially the H320. It have very limited intake openings.

Yup, that's the PST series... PST stands for PWM Sharing Technology
They also have Thermally controlled fans, so if you don't want to oversaturate your PWM header - you can directly attach a probe somewhere...

1 Like

Most brands of fans are very consumer-crappy and expensive for what they are.

I would recommend professional industrial fans, for instance:

Cheaper and much much better quality and quieter operation in the long run. Sintec bearing glassfiber blades, 26 dB at full blow. It's just better in all aspects than consumer fans from Noctua or Corsair or Cooler Master. It's the last fan you'll ever buy for a case.

4 Likes

That's why I said that, if your case is different, obviously you need to take a different approach.
Either way, AF series fans from corsair were designed as Case fans, SP series was designed as radiator/heatsink fans that sit right on top of a surface.

But see @Zoltan 's post above if you want to go to industry standard.

EBMPapst is a long time premium manufacturer of electromotors. The motor assy of one of those fans is sooooo much more premium than the motor assy of consumer fans. Yeah yeah marketing wank about the shapes of blades and performance but you have to buy in fecal brown because it's so premium... lmao... one look at a pro grade fan like a Papst, and you know consumers are just being ripped off. Find any professional grade industrial appliance, and I bet you it has a Papst fan in it somewhere lol, because that's what keeps working at spec for forever. The sound signature is completely different, there is no high pitched spectrum, it hardly makes any sound at all, but when you go really close, you hear how low frequency the sound is that the solid motor makes. Plus those fan blades are really solid industrial carbon reinforced glassfiber, precision engineered, precision manufactured, precision balanced, flow optimized to a point where Noctua and the rest of the bunch are still dreaming of. The difference is huge, and the price is lower because you don't pay for freebies to youtubers and other marketing wank.
Oh, and it's not made in China, it's made in Hungary and Germany. Yeah there's a difference lol

Case in point, there's this monster from Papst: :grinning:

Some videos to enjoy

Does it come with Goulash and Kartoffelpuffer?

At least for the big metal fans I can vouch. We have one runnig in the cabinet over our fridge. It's been running 24/7 for at least 15 years now. Still dead silent.
Those are indeed a different kind, not for PCs at all. But if the quality of Papst fans is on the same level throughout their catalog then they should be a no-brainer.

Papst makes fans to order. One of the most popular ranges is their fans for beer coolers lol. They have more fan models than any manufacturer on earth, and all are the same quality, even though different materials and specs etc. There is just no comparison between consumer fans and Papst fans, once you've had Papst fans, you know what crazy nonsense Noctua fans are, and what even crazier bullshit Corsair or Cooler Master fans are. If you really need to go dirt cheap, you can go for Arctic fans, those often are better than other consumer fans, but at least they are reasonably priced at the 5-6 EUR they're worth, but if you're going to spend over 10 bucks on a fan, Papst are the only fans that are worth the price and are available in all kinds of models and specs. If you buy a Noctua, you basically buy a 5 EUR fan in a despicable colour with a price premium that goes towards empty marketing and freebies to youtube and other media reviewers. But hey, everybody does with his/her money what they want, if you want to finance plane tickets for promo videos and freebie products for Linus by paying extra for 5 EUR fans, it's not like it's the end of the world, it's just consumer behavior like any other form of consumer behavior, it's not even your fault,... well, except for people who are informed of course lol...

1 Like

No, but they are spec'ed 119 mm x 119 mm x 25 mm, because they are the same as 120mmx120mmx1inch fans sold by less precise manufacturers. The fact that they are advertised on Amazon by some vendors as 120 mm x 120 mm when they are not spec'ed at that size, just proves the whole point of why Papst manufacturing is just superior to China manufacturing... it takes a bloody Prussian to go and remeasure what those Asians actually mean with "120 mm" or "1 inch" lol... they probably had a really heated discussion on whether it was acceptable to give such an imprecise spec as "119 mm", when the actual value was several thousandths of a millimeter higher than that, and those bloody marketing people wouldn't allow the precise measurement on the box... but they still get people fired if they don't get the exact size right in production, up to the thousandth of a millimeter.