I hit an end of life of my desktop, sadly before I could save up enough money for something solid, so I thought I'd build something based on AMD's new APUs. Here are the answers to the questions in the sticky:
- Budget: Around $500.
- Where do you live, and what currency do you use? Poland, PLN (1 USD ~ 3.73 PLN)
- Do you need or already have peripherals? (this can add to costs) Already have them.
- What will you be using your future computer for? Mainly for work (programming, so compilation and stuff), but also some gaming.
- Do you overclock or want to get into overclocking? Yes, if possible.
- Do you plan on going for custom watercooling now, or in the future? In the future, if at all.
- OS. Do you need a new one? Would prefer Linux (Ubuntu or Debian), but I have Win7 laying around if needed.
This is not my first build, but I've never built anything APU based. About the budget, please keep in mind that I live in Poland and since PLN price is dropping like mad $500 could be worth more (right now it's ~1800PLN, in December I would get ~1600PLN).
Sorry for the lack of PcPartpicker list, but many parts are not listed there. So here it is:
- CPU: AMD A10-7850K (3.7 GHz, 4MB L2, 95W)
- CPU Cooling: Zalman CNPS80F (because I already have one and it fits the case)
- MOBO: Asus A88X-PLUS A88X
- RAM: 1x HyperX Savage 8GB @ 2400MHz DDR3 (so I can upgrade later to 64GB)
- Case: Linkworld OB1217TLBZ LI (TFX PSU)
- PSU: SeaSonic SS-350TGM-TFX (350W, 80+ Gold)
Let me know what you guys think about it. About the case - I wanted something slim because later I would put SteamOS on it and move it to the living room when I get a new one. I was thinking about modding it to have a glass pane on the side and using PCIe raiser to get some graphics in it (so my main build later could be strictly for programming).