Apt-get not working behind a vlan

Im trying to setup a simple print server on a vlan using Ubuntu Server 18.04. I have the netplan working. I can ping on the vlan, I can ping out to the internet, i can even use spider to get out of the network and access http pages, I can also ping the servers which apt says are unreachable. The only issue i have is apt… every time i try to use apt i get nothing… it says it cant reach the servers.

Here is my netplan config:

network:
version: 2
renderer: networkd
ethernets:
ens33: {}
vlans:
vlan.40:
id: 40
link: ens33
addresses: [192.168.40.2/24]
gateway4: 192.168.40.1
nameservers:
addresses: [192.168.40.1]

I’ve been working on this for two days… and I just cant see the problem. I’m just hoping someone catches the issue or just give me an idea I havent thought of. BTW no firewall and no IPTABLES have been set into this setup. I figured i would get it all working before added more things. I also tried turning off all offloads as i’ve heard those can strip vlan tags. I have several other devices on this vlan which operate fine. I have my trunks laid out and i know this issue isn’t on the network side of things. I tried the Ubuntu Forum but didn’t get a single response… I thought about setting a bridge up… but i just dont think it should be required for a simple single IP over vlan.

1 Like

Well I reworked this with a bridge and sure enough it came up. Sorry for the post.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting and solving! Well done!

1 Like