Apple's Fall onto the Newton Designs, Pretold by Jobs himself!

I found this rather funny actually.

Apple has been falling backwards for, oh, 2-4 years since the skip off the Pro Tower and the shutdown of the mac mini. Technically since they jumped off powerpc, in my opinion, and grabbing on to common technology, in turn, trying to make themselves the center of power like IBM and Xerox back in the day and make the future of computing theirs.

I own apple products now and I couldn't recommend apple more to anyone but not new, certainly not from a store, and definately not off the fanboys on craigslist trying to sell you core 2's for 2000 bucks. But it makes me sad to see the last of the corporate Unix companies falling flat. Honestly, I love macs. If I could just use a mac for everything I would. Stream games, record games, do all my code, video edit, everything. Manage my phone. If I could use OSX I would. Sadly, OSX is just as much a turd as the new MBP.

It saddens me, but I am also curious to see the old hardware. I would LOVE a powerbook Duo with a motorola 68K. OS 9.0.2... That would be very fun. See how things developed from there forward... But some fanboy always has to ruin it for me waning 7 grand for a 35 dollar laptop...

Apple is fun if you can't get the weebs off of your back. Apple could be better if they would just stop hiring these weebs and change company heads. Sadly Apple is just as much a pile of shit as Valve, the Used Games market, the cell phone companies and operators... Its all a corporate sham at this point.

Live frugal guys, thats all I got at this point.

5 Likes

He makes an interesting point.
It is hard to pick where it went wrong for them.
I am not sure that changing their computer architecture and OS is the cause, that is most likely coincidental. Nothing wrong with BSD based OS, it's a solid platform.

it is probably as simple as it is put in the video. The people running the show now consider innovation to be the addition of a gimmick, or the "invention" of something that already exists. Or, the crafting of a $300 picture book. And the fanboys eat it up, which unfortunately provides validation.

Nothing like the iPod, Woz's floppy disk drives, using spare logic gates to make other logic gates, things that put them ahead of their competition by leaps and bounds.

As long as hipsters are foaming at the mouth to get the net ipad 4.01s+ or what ever crap they are flogging, things won't change. It has to hit them in the pocket big time, and then its probably too late.

He was the one that invented the branding that made those funboys for Apple. If you create such great brand loyalty then you can sell to your fanboys any gimmick as innovation. And Jobs himself did that as well while in apple. Apple products even during jobs (the second time) were overpriced from what they offered. It is just that he knew exactly where to draw the line so that it will not piss apple fans off. And in the beginning of apple he had Wozniak to actually make the innovation.

The current apple CEOs seem much less capable on that part and end up with actually inferior products even for some fanboys.

I feel they went wrong when they tried to hire Linus Torvalds as chief kernel engineer.

His only request was to switch to a Linux kernel instead of BSD. They refused.

Something amazing could of happened but they squadered it.

They now are stuck in tunnel vision chasing consumer trends and alienating enterprise and power users.

1 Like

That would have been great for Linux, but i bet they didn't go with it because they couldn't own it.

Fragment

I agree Apple lost what made them stand out was the PPC/RISC processors. Nowadays, they are just another PC with unfortunately mediocre specs for the cost.

However, at the same time the development of the RISC processors wasn't efficient enough at that time to hit the desktop goals they wanted (3GHz G5) or make a mobile version for the PowerBooks. Intel had the processors already in production.

Even if the 3GHz dual or quad G5 came out, the Xeon of the time would have thrashed it. On a notebook level, the C2D was way ahead of the G4s. No one would be willing to continue buying Apple products at a large markup that were considerably slower than the x86 counterparts.

It's just unfortunate that they have lost the pro market. I have no real need for a workstation but the G5 and older Mac Pros were something special and I loved using them on a daily basis. The nMP is designed for external expansion which will take up more space than an internal solution and hasn't been updated since release.

The nMP is what got me back on a laptop as that is essentially all it is to me, a closed box I can't really swap out the internals of. Then the nMBP has sent me back into the Wintel world.

Of course they wouldn't own it. But they don't fully own the kernel they use either.

Jobs wanted a bit of his baby (NextStep) in OSX. "Not invented here" syndrome has plagued Apple for a long time. Since Jobs left it has only gotten worse.

If they keep doing what they have been doing they won't have a business market. Look at how much of a pain they made it to switch iPhone users, not business friendly at all.

The world of computers could have been an amazing place.

People can say whatever they want about Steve Jobs, but he was an incredible business person and marketer. I am not going to say that he is a "visionary" because he did make a lot of mistakes early on at Apple that ultimately got him kicked out of that company. But I do think that when he returned to Apple in 1997, he was much wiser than he was when he left.

He is definitely right in that video. When he left Apple in 1987 or so, the management really messed up their own product lines and branding. They were releasing too many products that were competing with themselves. Steve Jobs really cleaned that up.

Current Apple under Tim Cook's rule has been stagnating quite a bit in their products. It is almost like Microsoft and Apple have reversed roles.

WTF are you talking about? IBM has AIX, HP has HP-UX, FreeBSD is used by storage developers, Sun/Oracle's Solaris (which is where much praised on these forums zfs came from) is still very alive. Calling Apple last (or first) anything is just absurd.

I wouldn't even consider them a corporate Unix company. They never really targeted their machines at corporates and only ever played at a server offering.

You cannot have a ¨Walled Garden¨ without walls...

I absolutely feel what you saying. I do like my MacBook Air very much, it's my second MacBook. Before my Air I had the 13" Unibody MacBook and I loved that thing.

When my MacOS crashed in September I installed Linux and are very happy with it.

Just for fun, i installed Yosemite just to see how it is to use MacOS once again and it was so really disappointing. (Once you go Linux you never go back)

The only thing Apple really got going and has impacted the whole market is the unibody-metal-casing for laptops.
But now every other company makes laptops with full metal casings and better hardware as well so there really is no logical reasonable argument for using a MacBook except I like Apple Hardware and Software and wanna be/use the ecosystem.