Apple losing me as a customer

I only used headphones while traveling long-distance. I didn’t like dealing with a wire hanging out of my pocket.

Then I got a pair of Beats X bluetooth headphones over a year ago and have used them ever since. They work great, sound OK, get 8 hours of use from a charge, and most importantly when I’m not listening to anything they work as a fugly necklace, nothing to get tangled or lost. They have that W1 chip also.

Lots of people have large investments in high-end cans and many still use wired headphones to this day, I see them walking down the street. Those people have a right to be pissed off, removing features is never a good thing. But for me, personally, I don’t care.

When traveling I use a pair of wired noise-canceling bose headphones. (They are AMAZING for airplane noise.) But my ipad and laptop still have headphone jacks, so that’s fine. I don’t watch movies on my phone, even though it’s a kinda ridiculous 6.5" monstrosity now. The iPad is 10" and the laptop is 15", much better for movies.

I mean I get it and sure keeping it there maybe useful, better than an adaptor.

At the same time, my headphones already have a 1/4 adaptor, no one complains. If your going around with a portable amp setup, you don’t give a crap about an adaptor either.

I’d say the ligitimate complaint maybe charging and headphones at the same time. But honestly I think that’s just a chicken and egg problem that will go away in a few years.

Removing the headphone jack and introducing the W1 chip has arguable jumped the progress of wireless headphones a huge amount, there’s so much choice now that never existed before and they only get better.

1 Like

I didn’t know that, but I have to admit- regardless of what spec sheets say about pixel count and GPU speed, apple phones have always amazed me with great screens and great animation. I have whats considered one of the ‘snappiest’ Android phones (OP6) and I still feel even older Iphones have a more fluid (and maybe gives one the illusion of being snappy?) experience. The snappiest of androids still have stutters and IMO maybe not as well executed animation (and I play around with the settings in developer settings), Apple is just so smooth.

That said, like I mentioned, because of the ‘gun to head’ ecosystem/walled garden, I cannot bring myself to buy one. Genius on Apple’s end, just look at their stock and value, they know a thing or two about business strategy, I must be in a small niche where I want compatibility. I still curse out load when using the Amazon Prime video app and can’t cast it to my TV- honestly I think I hate Amazon much more than Apple in that regard- IMO Amazon goes further out of it’s way to corral users deeper and deeper into their ecosystem.

2 Likes

Solution. create a bluetooth adapter for wired headphones

thats if the headphones have a detachable 3.5mm plug, harder if it has a 2.5mm plug

I agree, it has more to do with OS than anything though.

If you go to developer settings in android and turn off all animation scaling it with greatly increase speed and performance of your phone though.

1 Like

Thats what I do:

I’ve played with 0, .5, 1, 1.5 etc, the algorithm or whatever it is Android uses is just not there compared to Apple. To be more specific in my case, my OP6 does not lag, its snappy AF (I got to play with a Samsung S9 that has the same SOC and it had some stutters, I blame the OS)- its the perception of smoothness that I seem to see a difference with. This could all be subjective, I’m not a gamer, I do not know where I stand on the FPS perception ‘gifted’ chart. I’ve seen reviews of the Razor phone with its high refresh screen and how it is apparently smoother than any other Android phone, so maybe its simply the default FPS android goes with, or maybe its the quality of the screens (lag), I donno.

All i can suggest is that if this is purely based on some preconceived hatred; i was there many years ago. There’s a reason Apple has such a rabid fan club. For all the bitching and moaning you hear about the decisions they make, their hardware and software integration DOES work and if you haven’t experienced it first hand (for a few weeks at least), you can’t really “get it”.

I’ve used a Mac in school before. It was for a semester in some extracurricular class. Didn’t really ‘blow me away’. The finder was nice. But the thing that impressed me the most was VLC, as I had never heard of it before, and its awesome abilities.

I’ve also done development of C code on windows back during my first programming class. I was like Visual Studio is neat and it can do all this stuff but good lord it is a massive program. Do I really need that to code?

Then the following semester when they introduced us to Linux, we all had a linux mint VM set up to play with and I remember asking if we could code on this and they laughed and said, “You’re in the land of compilers”. So I was like ‘hot damn’! That night I went home and installed Ubuntu and had lots of fun and pain learning how to get sound to work.

We had assignments where we had to code in Vi/Vim in front of the professor so he knew we could use the tools. It felt awesome.

The next semester, I really fell in love with it more and wanted to do more stuff, so I gave arch a try and ran that for a year.

So I guess the long and short of it is, I totally skipped the ‘apple phase’ some people go through.

3 Likes

Not sure how much you would have used it in school. I did find (as along time windows and Linux user) that having a personal mac for a few months i started finding myself saying “oh, that’s cool” a lot.

Apple for me was after DOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris, etc…

1 Like

I think its definitely more appealing to the ‘older’ folk. The ones that have been around since the inception of the desktop computer.

I didn’t jump into the game until around 2013. And before that my first computer ran Windows Vista. Up until then I really just used a Windows 7 laptop for class work, documents, youtube videos, and the small flash game here and there.

If I had known what I could actually do with computers, I probably would’ve been where you are now.

To be honest, I wouldn’t mind using a Mac at work here. Everything $Company has is some shitty HP with garbage VGA to everything.

1 Like

It seems to me so far that as suggested one of the things is that it tends to just work nicely together. Little features like airdrop, universal copy paste, handoff, integration of apps across devices, among other things like that work. Linux doesn’t have this, for a desktop OS it is behind apple by years and has never caught up. Similar it seems from windows.

This coming from someone who’s used Linux for over a decade, its great but subjectively I can see where apple just does it better than both Linux and Windows in many areas.

1 Like

Windows is catching up though.

And it is important to notice the differences so things can improve.

1 Like

So is Linux. They have a lot of polish to go though, and some things on Linux i think will always be significantly behind.

Just saw this on youtube:

Apparently others are feeling same frustration I am.

1 Like

this one does it for me. will never give them $0.01

1 Like

This is FUD. They did not actually do the thing everybody is saying.

1 Like

None the less - Apple has proven that they will gradually do everything in their power to stop you from repairing their devices yourself.

This is what the video is about and if you watch to the end he acknowledges that it hasn’t happened yet but Apple’s track record shows that it is probably to come.

I disagree. Apple simply doesn’t care about making their products easily end-user or third-party repairable. They care about design. Cosmetics, thickness, weight.

There’s a difference between not caring about something and actively fighting it. They don’t do the latter, and the touchID repair story from last year supports that conclusion.

1 Like