Apple is copying Microsoft and the PC world once again

You would still need something kinda powerful, not going to work with a shitty dell Inspiron but something with a decent i7 or i5 would work fine and still be lighter than having a dGPU.

This is your use case, might be different for other people.

I never said it was, it's just an interesting one. Especially if they could get this to work with most modern laptops. It would probably be cheaper than building an entire new system or buying a gaming laptop, which are hella expensive.

This is kinda irrelevant. Having a monitor with a GPU inside has nothing to with gaming on the go. If somebody cared about playing games on the go they wouldn't be looking at this. This is for somebody who just needs the power at one specific point, which makes alot of sense to me.

But what if you already have a non-gaming laptop and don't want to buy a new one? Or simply an older gaming laptop that can't keep up anymore?

Let's wait and see what the benchmarks say.

I could see a monitor mounted gpu being useful with two requirements, of course Apple won't meet either, but whatever. First, it would need to not be over priced. It should cost no more than the combination of a decent psu and a decent monitor. Second, you should be able to swap the gpu with basically any desktop gpu for upgrades further down the road. That would make this product a good way to turn a laptop into a multi use device for laptoping and gaming desktoping. I still think that a laptop with a decent dGPU would be the most logical route as it wouldn't force you to only game in one location. Being able to take your laptop to a friend's place, on a plane, in the library, or whatever and still be able to play some games is really the main appeal to me of a decent laptop. Otherwise, it doesn't need to be anything special. Just something that I can do basic tasks on without being tethered. Regardless, you would need to get a laptop that supported this feature, a monitor which supported it, and a dGPU to add to it. Should come out costing lower than a high end gaming laptop (assuming that they don't overprice the monitors to hell), but it has that massive draw back of not being able to game anywhere but right there. So you aren't really comparing this to a gaming laptop so much as you are comparing it to a cheap laptop + a gaming desktop. And the gaming desktop has many advantages over this. It is an alternative that I could see having a place in the world, but I wouldn't personally use it and I don't know anyone who would.

At first it would be expensive but it will lower with time. Especially if the PC market adopts this type of technology.

Ehhhh I don't know about that. I don't think that would ever happen. It's possible though.

You are still missing the point though, if you care about gaming on the go this does not apply to you. That's like saying everybody should get a laptop over a desktop because it's portable. If you want a desktop you aren't concerned with portability, if you are looking at a product like this you also don't care about the portability.

I'm hoping more companies adopt this and make it less proprietary.

And would be WAY more expensive. Think about somebody who would need the desktop, a monitor, mouse, keyboard, windows license ect ect.

This thread is so much clickbait..

These little external boxes with GPUs in them use Intel's Technology... Not Microsoft.

As for Microsoft and Apple copying each other.. If anyone took the time to read that article.. The external GPU is powering the 5K display.. Not the internal iGPU..

All Microsoft did with the surface book is take the Thunderbolt interface, slap a keyboard on it, and made a mobile implementation of it. Also it's worth noting the iGPU of the Surface book powers the display.. NOT the nvidia chip.

Business is like sport. You have to take ideas from other areas in your field to succeed.

But honestly 5k. Who would need 5k pixels?

Like I was saying, this product competes against a cheap laptop and a gaming desktop more so than a gaming laptop. Once you factor in the prices of the external gpu, the monitor (which will be significantly more expensive than a normal monitor and likely WAY more expensive than what we enthusiast tend to find with the Korean brands), and the laptop, I am not so sure that the price would be much lower than a gaming desktop and a cheap laptop. As far as future upgrades go, having a full fledged desktop would allow for much easier upgrade with typically more ram slots, more powerful cpus, more storage options, etc etc. Also allows you to get a new monitor relatively easily, but with the added cost of having the dGPU integrated support, that would be much more expensive of an upgrade than when all of the components are separate as in a desktop.

The thing is though, I don't think this would be as expensive as you think it would be, in relation to getting a desktop instead. Desktops are expensive when you factor in all the peripherals and such that you would need. IMO this is way cheaper than building an entirely new system.

I am saying that the first company to have this tech widely available (not the first to demo it) was Microsoft. I am not saying that they are the reason that this thing is possible, I'm not saying that they came up with the idea of an external GPU, I'm not saying anything other than that Microsoft did basically the same thing first. Which is not a debatable claim. It is a fact. And now Apple is doing a slightly different variation. And I understand that the dGPU will power the monitor not the iGPU. That was a given. Two displays, two graphics adapters. Pretty straightforward.

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't mind companies copying each other as it is the only way to get any real progress, but I find it amusing that people always think of Apple as great innovators when they basically polish things invented or first implemented by other companies. They have a history of this and are still claimed to be the most innovative company by many people. So another example of it happening made me laugh.

Then we will have to agree to disagree because there is literally no way to spec out a build with components that literally don't exist on the market. If this sort of thing is ever adopted by the pc laptop world, then we can revisit the value aspect of it. Until then, we are just throwing darts in the dark.

See that's the thing.. They didn't invent the technology.. All Microsoft did was show it off. So how are Apple copying Microsoft?

It's not their technology.. Apple has been using Intel for years.. They could of implemented the technology any time they wanted.. iMacs have thunderbolt interfaces.. All they needed to do was tweak OS X to support it. That was it

I literally said they didn't invent it. But first Microsoft used this basic tech, and now Apple is. Sounds like copying to me. Don't know why your panties are so scrunched about this.

^

Dude.. Cause this thread is massive clickbait..

Microsoft showed it off technology that's not theirs.. Just cause Apple is going to implement it doesn't mean they are copying it..

You know what's copying? The iPad Pro. It's was the same product as the Surface, but used iOS.

By your logic Microsoft copied Apple because they were the first to implement the thunderbolt interface..

Does Microsoft even use Thunderbolt for anything? I've never seen it. And if they did start adopting it, then yes, I would call that copying. But I am aware of the iPad Pro copying the Surface. That was really obvious. The stylus thing was also amusing.

A lot of OEM's Workstation Boards have it. ASUS for example.. Which once again, is only supported on Intel Chipsets.. Which is used in Apple and Microsoft products.. The OS just needs to support it..

I understand that Intel invented it. I understand that it can work with Intel hardware on the pc. What I am saying is that Microsoft hasn't integrated it into any of their own products. There isn't thunderbolt on the surface line or anything.

I was referring to the chipset. When I said in Microsoft and Apple products..

ASUS WS boards have thunderbolt. Apple has been using thunderbolt in Macs for years.. A tweak in the OS and it will support it.

I thought that was the point.