Apple I understand now

Thats okay, since you are using apple products after a time where you feel like you really know it then that view can become even more valuable to what apple does right versus what it does wrong. What it does wrong currently is where a lot of people (but not all) draw the line.

I actually don't throw out my electronics. I just shelf them. No place good to recycle them around here.

yeah I still have a ton of old electronics. I need to find a center for them. I was more referring to the issues of slave labor that makes all of this stuff and how Apple incorporates themselves in other countries to avoid paying taxes. Those issues are not Apple exclusive. This whole thread btw is mainly me coming to terms with the Apple bashing I have done in the past vs getting to a place where I have spent time with their products. Prior to now I had just messed with my wife's Mac mini and hated it. Now that I have played around with my own stuff and seen the ecosystem at work I have to say that I get the wow factor that people have with their products. It doesn't replace my main rig and I love my tab s2 so those things are going no where but for college and and the go stuff I'm likeing it.

Hey good for you and I hope that you not needing any connectors continues. This is a good example of "Apple innovation". They make up some bs excuse to remove the existing port (probably for aesthetics) by doing that they have royally screwed their customers who have bought/supported their usb and thunderbolt base connectors because they don't support them anymore. But hey guess what, you can still use your old devices with their new computer by buying their new and improved connectors

You might ask "But why didn't they just included the old ports to their new computer?" Exactly. Why didn't they do it. Its not efficiency, its not innovation. 1 reason, those dongles are retardedly expensive and it prints money for them.

I feel like you misunderstood his video. One of the reasons why he doesn't use apple products is because he feels that instead of the product helping him it actually makes his life more difficult (e.g. the above dongle example.) and that basically summarizes my feelings/opinion about apple product.

I hope you have Apple Care because they do their best to make their products irreparable.

First, there is something unsettling about using the same brand for everything. It would make me feel like I'm living in some type of dystopian society, especially if many people were doing the same. Like i'm living in Brave New World or something. These companies are tracking everything, think how much of a complete picture apple probably has of your life.

While its possible to game on Macs, it is by no means an ideal solution.

Iphone screens break way too easily. 3 things i want from my smartphone: durable, expandable memory, and ideally a removable battery. How many of those things is an iphone? none.

That they don't work well unless paired with other Apple products. Like i'm thinking about getting a smartwatch soon, who knows, Apple's might be the best, but it doesn't work with android.

There is so much misinformation on Apple products. My sister wanted to get a macbook, and like salesmen were telling her apples can't get viruses...

1 Like

Good evening, L1T. Allow me first to apologize for this interruption. I do, like many of you, appreciate the comforts of every day routine- the security of the familiar, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any bloke. But in the spirit of commemoration, whereby those important events of the past, usually associated with someone's death or the end of some awful bloody struggle, a celebration of a nice holiday. By taking some time out of our daily lives to sit down and have a little chat. There are of course those who do not want us to speak. I suspect even now, orders are being shouted into telephones, and men with guns will soon be on their way. Why? Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this world, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you. So if you've seen nothing, if the crimes of this world remain unknown to you, then I would suggest you allow the post to remain unmarked. But if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I ask you to stand beside me.

I liked the movie :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too. Great movie!

I second!

so we're going to blow something up or what?

Im sure apple can glow something up. We others will need to code and share out of the box.

and yes, great movie. However it was horribly advertised. I remember seeing trailers for it and thinking it looked like garbage.

Speaking of planned obsolescence, an old Core Duo macbook runs Windows 10 and Ubuntu better than MacOS... So if you want to run up to date software, you must run something other than MacOS.

I'm sort of meh, on apple.

In regards to most of their stuff, for the average user they're ok.

They make the OS, and the hardware so they know what to expect. Having a standardized platform allows them to push the limits a bit, sort of like they have done with consoles in the past. If you know all these devices have parts x, support features y, and run os z, you can do some optimization that you could not reliably do on generalized hardware like the regular "PC" market.

Apple has always seemed to focus a lot on usability for non-tech people. Unfortunately if your familiar with windows or something prior to using a mac, some stuff seems ass backwards or downright broken.

However, at some point in the past few years, Apple stopped being a computer company. Their focus has been on iDevices ipads,iphones and even reworked their desktop/laptop os to be more iDevice-ish (reversing scroll direction to match scrolling on a phone for example).

I think it sort of makes sense from a business standpoint, instead of selling you a device/os every couple of years. Now their devices seem to be more of a vehicle to get you to use the app store + iTunes, which they get a cut of every purchase made there. So instead of getting money in spikes and slowly trickling between product launches, they're getting a steady stream of cash between product releases.

Unfortunately, they've disappointed the crap out of power users the past few years, and seem to be on a downward spiral as far as desktop/laptop hardware goes.

The trashcan mac pro might be pretty, but has very little expansion, and was a bit behind as far as hardware goes at launch. Sure you can add a lot of functionality through thunderbolt, but it makes moving it around annoying and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a high end machine.

I'm not sure where they got the crack they were smoking when they cranked out the new Macbook (touchbar) with only USB3C/Thunderbolt3 ports and a max of 16GB of RAM, but it must have been some Grade A++ shit.

only in the price you pay.

I am just gonna drop my 5ct here.

IF you are a software guy -> check out MacOS.
IF you are a webguy -> check out MacOS.

The point is not the hardware. (yes it is too expesnive). No, it is all about MacOS. You got a UNIX distribution that is very similar to the magic of Linux, without all the $&(*@ stupid bullshit. It is a polished UNIX operating system, which is great if you are into coding and serious about automation.

Windows is great for playing games.

Yes the hardware has been increasingly unnecessarily locked down in the last 6-8 years; nonetheless, mac os is a delight to use. It's not for everyone, but there's no reason to knock the engineering for the greedy decisions of upper management. Probably 80+% of recording studios in America use macs. In Europe its closer to 50% (stats btw come from an avid rep I spoke to). I much prefer Mac os for audio; however, I also don't pretend it's made for gaming. CoreAudio is far easier to use that asio or whatever else. Every other time I boot into win10, my audio interface fails to work. I have to mess with the sample rate and HOPE there is not a forced update that will break it all again. In OS X, that's not a problem. Plus, there is a real terminal. I spend more time fixing things in Windows than anything else.

Also, the ecosystem really does work well. Anyway... that's enough from me.

Or you could just install linux.

My thoughts are the benefits of mac OS will never exceed the the price tag of the hardware, or work need to over come that price tag when if you were going to put in so much money and effort you could just make linux do just about anything you need it to do. KXstudio is righteous for audio with graphical jack sessions and what not.

Same here. except every time.

The thing about apple products is people like to snatch them from you. I had two ipods both stolen out of my book bags, my house was broken into and my ihome was stolen, not my computer or tv but my ihome. I still have a macbook but I don't know for how long.

1 Like

Not better than Avid, but Avid is professional grade. You can't even use it without a professional video card, last I checked.

They couldn't run it overnight and you could come back the next day?

Idk a/b the OS on Apple's phones but I feel that macOS for desktops is good IMO. However, they get a bad wrap b/c their hardware is overpriced and being that the OS is unique to that said hardware it comes outdated and with less features when compared to its retail Windows counterparts.

Or you could just install linux.

My thoughts are the benefits of mac OS will never exceed the the price tag of the hardware, or work need to over come that price tag when if you were going to put in so much money and effort you could just make linux do just about anything you need it to do. KXstudio is righteous for audio with graphical jack sessions and what not.

I have to say, that Linux would be the only other operating system I can see myself using, if for some reason I had to leave MacOS. Many of my favorite tools are also available on Linux. In fact, the best stuff usually comes from Linux in the first place. (tiling windows manager, i.e).

Linux is really the hackers operating system. But sometimes you are in rush, and you just want to get work done. I like tinkering, but not really with my Operating System. I don't change color schemes, I don't do crazy stuff. I value tho out-of-the box, "it just work experience" of MacOS.

But heck yes, I could definitely switch to Linux if I had enough time to make it work for me.

Yea for Linux +1 :slight_smile: