Apple I understand now

Keep it clean, people.

1 Like

Apple. Form over function.

Hope you're enjoying the apple ecosystem, if it makes you more productive then sure go with that.

wifi is balls compared to ethernet, which is what anyone needs if they want to do anything serious with. Just dicking around on the internet; yeah you can get by with wifi for that.

Exactly what am I going to be doing that I would need Ethernet over wifi with. When using a MacBook?

Also I haven't found anything that limits my functionality.

Well Apple can definitelly be great for certain people.
I have worked with Mac´s in the past, and i did like them.
They are pretty nice for graphic designers and such.
The main reason for me not to buy a Mac for daily use,
is because they are a bit expensive for the hardware they have inside.
BUt other then that, for certain workloads and tasks they are pretty neat.
Mac OSX felt pretty stable to me.

I believe what you're talking about is called CEC.. Unless there's some fancy soy-sauce thing happening with your stuff? Pretty much all new TV's and receivers will play nice.

Vizio Display w/ Yamaha RX-V740; one remote, can confirm

I get it too..... buy all our stuff , keep buying , you got enough apple stuff? course not

keep buying
buy more
buy apple stuff
I finally get apple now
buy
buy
buy

buy buy apple or
Bye bye apple

Not quite. I can manage all the settings of the receiver as well. It also allows inputs to become outputs letting me use one cable to the TV, even if I'm using the antenna it will pass audio from the TV's "input" to the receiver as an audio out. Theres more to it as well but I dont really use the other stuff.

1 Like

I like to bash on Apple even though the last time I used one of their computers was back in the early 90's, at the computer computer lab in my elementary school.

Note: I have a 2nd gen iPod nano which I will miss when it finally dies.

I'd be cool with a MacBook Pro, but I'm not rich so I'll stick with my favorite unix knockoff - Linux - and rock that till I make it big.

Well, heres what I typically do:

1. do a lot of downloading/uploading to a file server (30+GiB) constantly, doing that over wifi is a nightmare. I do this quite regularly, as I rip blurays and upload them to my file server. Laptop can only max out at 22ish MiB/s (176 Mib/s) when as I get the full throughput over ethernet.

2. need to test network throughput and latency of networking equipment.

3. Online communication, calling over wifi is balls. Bearable on my network because latency is usually below 30ms between packets, but I much prefer sub 1ms latency.

4. remoting into other computers over the internet, whether it be SSH or teamviewer (for the old people I help). Again, latency is king.

Those are just some of things I do which I heavily really upon ethernet due to its superior qualities. I really only use wifi when I have to.

If you only use the macbook for basic usage (browsing the web, reddit, L1, etc) then yes it makes since since you don't really notice the impact.

I used to use the macbook pro for building iPhone apps etc,,, but it is old now and I still got it... it runs great for internet browsing, checking email , watching online tv streams, and garage band still does its thing. Other then that it is a scrap piece of aluminium.

Apple forces shredding of fixable electronics.

Yup, as someone who works at an e-waste / refurbishing company I can't tell you how dumb this is.

2 Likes

A lot of choices and very efficient indeed.

Just leaving this here.
1 Like

There's just too much morally wrong with Apple.

The blood-money is not worth the Fantastic Ecosystem:tm:.

But to be fair thats my bias.

1 Like

Yeah, I quit network engineering when I got out of the Marines. I pretty much use the MacBook for taking notes, Xcode for my programming class, really just college stuff. The Apple Watch replaced my Fitbit and really works well tracking my exercises and other smart Watch features etc. I thought I would hate the iPhone compared to the galaxy notes I have always had but it's all the same to me. I am not an expert on Apple products right now so it's pretty much a learning experience but so far it's going pretty smooth.

it's not diamonds but I get you on that. Just quit buying any kind of electronics and your good then.

How is that different then any other piece of tech.

Have not needed a connector yet, also that video is really biased because he doesn't seem capable of figuring out new things and is scared or change.