Apple announces self-service repair

Wow, this was something I really never thought I’d see. I’m cautiously optimistic about this, but if Apple is transitioning to a repair-friendly mindset, I might have to change my attitude towards their products.

We’re still not getting schematics from them, but this would be a huge step in the right direction, and a massive about-face in Apple’s attitude towards customers repairing their own devices.

Though, the announcement is fairly vague on details, so we’ll see what happens.

7 Likes

Not convinced until we see their “calibration” machines widespread availability.

3 Likes

Marketing has already scored. Mission accomplished.

4 Likes

I only buy products I can reliably repair. If they prove that they’re following up on this, I might buy one when I need a phone in 2025.

Do not think I’m so easily fooled.

Yeah, what’d repair.org say? you can’t bank on promises?

Apple is signalling a good thing here. We need to support this move as a good thing, but make it clear that their history of anti-consumer and anti-competitive practices make us not trust it.

2 Likes

^ This

2 Likes

I believe you are referring to this:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-lounge-one-more-for-the-road-edition/166891/32694?u=biky

No. And neither do you by what you are saying:

Of course, if they follow up, I will change my opinion. But I will still be doubtful of it until I see proof and not just marketing or promises without action.

I got the same email in my inbox, but yeah. I don’t really read the lounge…

2 Likes

Thats why I reposted it here.

1 Like

And I just returned my 2021 MacBook Pro because of Apple being so anti-right-to-repair :facepalm:. There’s other philosophical problems though, that was just a big one.

Exactly. This could be just a quick hit to satiate people, but then they never expand the program.

2 Likes

See the light at the end of the tunnel? We’re almost there…wanna buy a new iPhone to light your way?

I’m too old for stuff like that to take seriously. Corporate marketing bullshit to manipulate people to like you.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if nobody really buys into it, because the people I know IRL who buy Apple stuff consistently buy it because they aren’t computer people and they want a computer they think is more reliable so they never have to mess with it.

So not many people are going to make use of it, and then Apple is going to use that as an excuse to get rid of it later on. And people will believe it, even though the real problem is that the program wasn’t expansive enough to be useful to people who actually fix computers.

This is just my bet, of course.

1 Like

Marketing works. The goal is to change people’s mind about the company. Create doubt, accept alternative views other than the one you got. That’s the whole point. It’s subtle brainwashing over years…

Just accept facts and acts. If my phone repair shop next door tells me he can do all Apple repairs, battery replacement and memory upgrades no problem, consider me impressed.

Until this point, Apple hasn’t delivered and is just playing mind tricks on people. That’s neither promising nor benevolent, it’s just business.

I should clarify when I say “buys into it” I mean that literally. Regular people aren’t going to be buying these Apple tool sets to fix their own stuff. And then a couple years from now Apple can use that as an excuse to say “we tried that and nobody wanted it so we’re getting rid of it”. Until we see something more meaningful, I’m willing to bet they’re setting it up for failure so that they look like the nice guys now and in a couple years they have an excuse to go back to their current narrative.

Ya time will tell.

Doing this now would be a 180 in the direction Apple pushed in by lawyers and lobbyists.

In other words: I do not believe any part of this.

2 Likes

You aint fooling me Aypple, with your magic talk.

Louis rossman was pretty level headed about it

This is how you express opinions.

Not shitting on apple continuously.

1 Like

Saw this story earlier and was like

I hope they do it well but after years of reading tech news stories and companies always doing the worst thing possible, I’m a little skeptical. >_>

10 Likes

I think Louis had a really good way at looking at it instead of being aggressive against it or making preconceptions

To quote him.

"
I mean what I said at 14:49. Do this right, and we can start from scratch, let bygones be bygones, and I will give you all the credit in the world. No shade. I am serious. I have no problem giving Apple credit. Do this right. If they do this right, I will buy and use a Macbook as my daily driver. Not even meming.

Don’t make a meme program that is functionally useless just so you have a headline “look we made parts available shutup about us being anti repair now.” Make it a real, usable, viable program, and you have my 100% support. Don’t make me eat my words like August 2019. You know where to find me, if you need any help in making this program usable, functional, & viable, I will offer Apple my full, unwavering support. This program being a success would be a MASSIVE step forward for tens of millions of people and I’d be humbled & honored to contribute to ensuring it is a success.
"

I wonder if Ive leaving has anything to do with it. There are some elements in the new laptop chassis that foreshadowed this. Pull tabs on the batteries and more serviceable screws.

1 Like

As everyone else have already said this is a step towards right direction, but only time will tell if it is just marketing talk or something more tangible.

4 Likes