Apfs...?

Can someone explain why this is a better system than HFS? Is there enough info out yet? Apart from the OS differences themselves which I think I know enough about, how would this perform compared to say ZFS, EXT4, NTFS, etc. in terms of performance, reliability, etc.?

1 Like

HFS is over 30+ years old. It was beyond time for Apple to move to a more modern FS to accommodate new advances in Block device and I/O like nanosecond time stamp granularity rather than the 1-second time stamp granularity in HFS+. I believe a recent update put the FS on iPhones about 2 months ago. Its adds support for full disk encryption, single and multi-key file encryption, snapshots, clones, a higher number of files on the system due to a switch to a 64-bit inode ( 9 quintillion = 2**63 ) and a copy-on-write metadata scheme

2 Likes

HFS is really old dog shit. Its probably one of the worst file systems still in use to day.

As long as apple doesn't release something super buggy and broken, there is almost no way that it can't be better.

3 Likes

+100000000

I spilled my drink on that comment