Aorus Master x570 Perfect UEFI Settings

@wendell

Thank you for getting back to me!

So that I don’t missunderstand anything:

• You took the Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 AIC (ah sh**, just realized you were using a Alpine Ridge AIC) that was featured in the previous Threadripper Thunderbolt 3 video that had its firmware loaded on it, plugged it into the X570 Aorus and connected the TB and USB Header cables and it worked without any BIOS option change?

• Booted up Linux and TB worked*? (*no hotplug tested)

• Is there a possibility that ASRock/Gigabyte maybe make TB Header cable “DRM” shenanigans changing the pin layout around or is this highly unlikely since TB3 (without USB) hotplug seems to be working on the ASRock X570 Taichi with the Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC?

• Any ideas/gut feelings why Thunderbolt hotplug is working, USB 3.x and USB-C -> display out causes BSoDs?

• Would you be interested in following this topic up? I know that Windows is bad, but since I’m very interested in creating HDR content I’m presently limited to macOS and Windows (and right now I’m not halucinating about turning the Ryzen 3700X desktop into a Hackintosh).

I can’t offer much (most disposable income is currently pumped into the DIY move from Intel to AMD for most purposes) but since my “dream” home workflow is planned around this I would spit up anything I can to resolve the darn USB 3.x hotplug BSoDs.

It’s on my to-do list to try to help with this but it’ll be a few weeks before I catch up. My aic has a slightly modded firmware. The header is not drmified on any way. It’s just an enable/toggle/reset. There is a post on here where someone used Titan ridge with a jumper wire and it was fine on a Mobo with no header (no hotplug)

1 Like

Ahem, where is Coll & Quiet on the Master?

FYI for any Master owners here, I’ve noticed a serious jump in performance (and better boost behavior) with the newest F5I BIOS. It’s even a noticeable jump over the previous F5G I was running. Not sure if Geekbench is a decent indicator, but I’ve run that, the CPUZ benchmark, and just compared the numbers to what I was getting before. They’re all up, and it appears that even though I didn’t win the silicon lottery with my 3900X, I’m seeing more frequent boosts into the upper 4.5Ghz range that I was not seeing before, even with my ram running at 3600mhz. Also, newer versions of HWinfo64 beta are showing the core voltage spikes are MUCH better now, using the Ryzen Balanced power plan.

Following the original recommendations I did this after flashing the new BIOS:

1. change CPU voltage from Auto to Normal
  2. change CPU clock control from Auto to 100.01 (not sure if this is needed anymore, but I had this set before, so…)
  3. set XMP to on (3600CL15, stock timings)
  4. change infinity fabric from Auto to 1800mhz
  5. disabled gear down / power down
  6. change DDR voltage from Auto to 1.350V

Geekbench says single core score is 5937, multi core score is 45012. That run was with no monitoring software running. Once I fired up HWinfo64, the second run scored 5924 on the single core, 45419 multi. I’m guessing that’s within margin of error. CPUZ consistently scores over 540 single core, over 8400 multi core. When I first got this board, it wouldn’t break 530 single core, so it looks like pretty quick progress is being made here. I used to have to drop my RAM speed to 3466 to get single core performance that high.

TLDR: get the latest F5I bios. It’s good stuff!

Temps are also awesome, because HeatKiller!

3 Likes

I have the Xtreme - I will look once my CPU comes in :slight_smile:

Nice. I posted an update regarding my x570 Master + a 3800x experience the other day because Wendell said to in the vid! But I put it in the wrong thread!

It’s here

Oh and yep been rocking F5l since @GBMatt put it out for us to check out - Best one yet tho still some things I think might need fixen - But the performance is great!

Added mem oc results - this board is a lot of fun

What does this setting actually do? I am running 2700x on Aorus x570.

Where is BGS in the Master UEFI? Recommendations of enabled or disabled?

Has anyone compared performance with memory overclocks with geardown enabled vs disabled?

@wendell ? When you got time! See above (looking for BGS) and also can’t find Cool and Quiet in UEFI.

I think (Don’'t quote me here) the ASUS equivalent for CPU Core Voltage -> Normal is “Manual > Auto” which sets it to a fixed 1.375V on my 3600X.

LLC is a little aggressive though, at load it doesn’t drop enough to control the temps. And that’s at the lowest LLC level.

For lighter loads, it correctly boosts with this setting, but don’t expect good temperatures under load.

Man that Chipset Name is giving me PTSD for a certain button on my Galaxy S8 :wink:

Should I buy the AORUS Master?
Or something else?
3900x with upgrade path to 3950x

2 Likes

Hi, welcome to the community.

Depending on your needs, that might be a bit overkill.

I just bought X570 Aorus Pro and that or even cheaper such as Elite should be able to handle those processors, if I am right.

I am quite satisfied with my Pro and would’t hesitate to upgrade to either of those processors. It got Intel Lan, two nvme slots, and rather VRM that should be able to handle anything I throw at it.

But then if there are something you require that lesser boards don’t have, that should be solid choice. Anyway, good luck!

Greetings, all! New to the forum and found this thread which very much applies to me. I will be building my 3900X + Master board today and have been taking notes on all the recommended BIOS settings. Thank you for that to all who have contributed.

A memory question: What RAM kits do you all recommend for a 32GB @ 3600MHz setup? I’ve been debating RAM kits for a week and have yet to come to what I feel like is the best decision. I picked up a 4x8 Corsair Vengance Pro kit (18-19-19-39) as well as a 4x8 G.Skill Trident Neo kit (16-19-19-39). My fans, keyboard and AIO are all Corsair so I figured going all Corsair might make sense if performance is satisfactory (having only 1 RGB controller app to contend with seems like a good idea), but I’m a little concerned that the C18 kit will perform meaningfully poorer than the C16 Trident kit. I also wasn’t sure how far I could reasonably expect to lower and tighten the timings of either. Both kits are on the QVL so I expect no issues there at stock settings, but I’m hoping for the best performance possible. For me that means ideally something like 16-16-16-36. Possible either kit can do that?

Also, should I also be considering 2x16GB kits? I know the memory topography for this board is daisy but I wasn’t sure how much it matters in my case given I’m only trying to lower and tighten timings (as opposed to pure overclocking).

Any thoughts or recommendations will be greatly appreciated, as if I can’t reach timings in the neighborhood I’m hoping for, I’ll be looking to buy something different and send what I have back.

Thank you in advance.

@ Dreams-Visions
First, Welcome! and what a conversation starter you presented (good thing).
I’m going to throw down my couple cents and then I’m sure others will have thoughts too.

Of the two kits you have on hand now, I’d lean towards the Neo primarily because it is AMD specific and on paper has better timings out of the box. Honestly performance wise, outside of benchmarks I don’t think you’d notice at all. So, as one who can appreciate a “theme” build and keeping a brand loyalty in play - I don’t think you would go wrong using the Corsair kit. Do note that there is no performance relation or gain by doing so in this instance (all Corsair).

Now the real point of potential contention with other opinion contributors… The question 2x16 vs 4x8 …? Personally with 32GB I’d go with 2x16 but again its a personal preference that I typically justify by the fact that 2 dimms are easier on the mem controller (IMC) than 4 though, this seems to be less of a point of contention with the Zen2 cpu’s and the higher end boards as the Master. Also, interleaving advantages might be a thing as well when using 2x16.

Yeah should be fine even for a 3900X.
With a 3950X it will likely also be fine, with some good airflow in the case.
Because that will add roughly a 25% ish more current draw over a 3900X.

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughts, Delta! With the most recent update to Ryzen DRAM Calculator (1.6.1), I’ve gotten some pretty solid timings for this Micron E-Die.

i.redd.it/nyiof5d8zwi31.png

I’m leaning towards keeping it (to save myself from some serious paralysis of analysis), but I’m definitely considering some of the highly-recommended 2x16 kits and 4x8 B-Die kits. Just not sure if the performance increase will be meaningful.

I’d say be happy with what you have. Unless you’re just chasing benchmark scores you’ll not notice the difference. Enjoy the new build!

Hi guys, I’m new to this awesome forum and I just discovered this thread. I just ditched my iMac and I recently got a 3900x and x570 master 32gb 3200c16 ram, noctua d15s. I followed the settings above and worked pretty well and I’m seeing 4.525ghz boost on a few cores.
I just have a few questions:
btw: new bios F5, updated windows 10, PBO disabled.

• is it normal for it to pull 1.4+ volts (though not always)
  • my temps seem high 45c - 55c idle, reaches 85c+ full load, (or I screwed cooler install) 30c ambient.
  • also I’m using storeMi, does it add significant overhead and temps?

I’m still pretty new to Windows PC so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Decent. 1.4v is fine, i wouldn’t sorry about it esp. if pbo is off. You could try the 3 dot method if you have the spare paste. Crank the fans and see if you see better 1t boosts? Just in case it might be thermal.

3200 ram should have a fair bit of headroom.

Also experiment with disabling cpcc in uefi. Sounds weird I know but try it?