I'm getting one in the new year to test, probably going to move a non vital VM server on it (WSUS for workstations) and see how it goes. Your experiences would be valuable.
Hi, I have 750( 400 gig only), two p3600s and a p3700, the only problem with 750 is low endurance compared to server versions. I use it in htpc ( no other drive) and after few months of light use i managed to chip away a good chunk of estimated life of ssd. I know that its only estimated value but TBW value seems low.
I personally wouldn't use a 750 in production servers. There's a reason Intel has enterprise cards, and the 750 is squarely marketed at the prosumer market, and not at SMB/Enterprise.
wow,. So any reviews on the DC series . I swear the first tastes of 750 were enterprise segmented but I must have been mistaken.
Regardless I'm still going to drop one in an elderly host, My latest gen 13 2U Dell 530 behaved really well on 2.5 consumer SSD's on the Perc 8xx raid. I have extreme variability on workload, and i could easily be in a situation where a total 750 failure could be recoverable vs money vs productivity vs time. If I was in a set it forget it budget I would not make that move. But this is a big year for SSD and I need exposure to enterprise load for education. Some stupid poorly coded stuff has been introduced to our enterprise workload which is equivalent to TDWATERHOUSE for the trisate area. My code has been optimized for a decade and does not even hit disk. So I could free up chassis for backup/DR with workstation SSD. Best advice still holds, IT depends. It is irresponsible for me not to accept the $1000 750 SSD.
If the write endurance is not a limiting factor ( 70GB per day, which is still a lot) then there is no need for overkill. Its great ssd, as you said its nothing vital so enjoy it :)
I've been thinking on that write endurance number a lot lately. I've been bitten by it before on SSD 1.0 deployed to workstation. I don't think I'm scared of it but I'm scared of my diligence to pull them out of service in 2 years after I promised myself I would.
Not much moving in storage in the first few weeks of the new year. Samsung with their new ~4TB 2.5 sata drive coming in at 50cents a GB is big news. 10TB spinning helium Seagates are incremental over WD's 8TB He, but those are probably a year away from retail channel, at least they put pressure on the market for a price drop.
I'm going to wait this out another month. I'm not really waiting for tech to solve a problem, I'm waiting for a happy economic accident. If PCIe SSD hit cheap enough and reliable enough I can move workload to them and re provision chassis drive slots to backup, thus postponing acquisition of new chassis one or two years with no ill effect. Then spend that CAPEX budget on building more capable DR solutions.
Same short term plan applies though. Get a 750 / p3xxx or equivalent PCIe drive and begin testing workload and storage reallocation + hold off as long as possible acquiring new mechanical drives.
In the mean time I have 2 Host servers that need 10Gb network card/Virtual Switch upgrades and maybe one RemoteFX graphic card install for VM workstation upgrade. So that is 2 maintenance windows so no lack of things to do. One day soon (spring) I'll wake up and Enterprise PCIe SSD will be $0.25 a GB.
There will be some alternatives released this year so prices might drop.But still i would wait before buying consumer grade ones on release to avoid firmware issues (i have 2 x 840 evos gathering dust ;( ) etc, intel has some experience with nvme other companies on the market might not. Also nvme m.2 drives might get cheaper (sm951 is getting cheaper in uk) but it needs proper cooling .
If you are need some server 10g nics , they are so cheap so you wont loose much, Im waiting for a pair of those for testing
Don't forget about xpoint either.