Anyone owning Fractal Design R6? Power button issue

I just received a Blackout R6, to build a system in for a family member. I’m a bit underwhelmed I must say, after all the hype surrounding Fractal Design cases. Like the side panel closing system, in theory nice, but without the thumbscrews the panels rattle. So it feels gimmicky.

Anyway, the power button does not move like the R3 I used to know, so it does not have a switch that has a long travel. It moves down just a little bit, but there’s no click, nothing. Also the button wobbles inside the casing, just a little, but it makes it feel cheap.

I tested it using a multimeter, and it works.

So my question is, is it supposed to look and feel like this, or is there something wrong? I’d rather not build this system and have the button fail in a few weeks.

Can any owner please chime in? Thanks

I dont have an R6 but ill take a look at my meshify when i get home. I know the reset didnt have a click but not sure on the power.

If it goes bad they have a usbc 3.1gen2 upgrade kit as a side note as well.

I noticed the upgrade kit, but I thought it only contained three colors plastic covers, as well as the usb3.1 connector? You have to reuse the old cables for the other connectors, including the power button. Correct me someone if I’m wrong.

BTW, just tested the reset button, it’s a cheapo bubble button, it clicks.

1 Like

I assumed it was an entire drop in, wow it really is just reuse your shit (thats really sad imo for what they charge for it)

It’s the USB3.1 connectors and cables that make it expensive. I looked into a rear slot connector and cable to use the onboard USB3.1 if the case doesn’t come with one. Also costs 25-30 EUR.

BTW I don’t want to start disassembling the front button section yet, in case I break something. Do you have any experience with Fractal’s service? Would they send a new button or would they require me to return the entire case?

Yeah but they are doing that in crazy volume probably not all that expensive (going to guess all new cases will have it so the economy of scale should kick in pretty hard)

If the case is new… contact support.

Tell them the switch is broken. Probably can get one sent… or they’ll want to replace the whole case… who knows

2 Likes

What do you mean? have you out this on a train? The side panels don’t rattle. There’s a little movement on the back if you physically try to move the side panels there because of the type of closure mechanism. If you want to secure the side panels further you can put the screws in.

It doesn’t have long travel but does have an audible tactile click.

2 Likes

The power button on my Define S is also a bit shit. Sometimes i have to press it a couple of times for it to work. Had that when it was new but i was too lazy to send it back(already built the system).

I have two r6’s. The travel on the power button is very short, but it has a audible and textile click. And how do you get the side panels to rattle? After I click mine on they are rock solid. No screws needed.
It sounds like you might have gotten a bad one. I’d contact support.

2 Likes

Thanks. I disassembled the button array, it really is the cheapest construction imaginable. The button is shot, it has almost no travel and pushing it does contact but no click. I’ll ask support if I can get a new power button.

Sending back the case would cost half a new one… I hope support is better than the product construction…

Edit: FD is sending me a new button assembly, should arrive next week. I hope that all goes well, at least I can report support works fast.

As far as the side panels are concerned, the top right connector (or how do you call these ball & slot connectors?) rattles, leaving about a mm of space for the panel to rattle. The top left one on the other hand needs extra force to get the panel off. Maybe I did get a Monday’s case. I carefully checked the rest for bent parts and such, but sofar that looks OK. If the new button fixes that, I’ll live with the rattling right panel.

Have an R6. do not have the issues you describe. I’d suggest you RMA it, maybe you got a dud.

Thanks to all for your input. Because of this I contacted support and have a new button underway. I’ll post again when it arrives and how the replacement went.

4 Likes

I bought the USB-C replacement top panel. The kit comes with three covers for different case colors, plus one specialized cable to connect the USB port to the motherboard.

I am not using the white or the black versions, since my case is gunmetal.
If anyone wants one, let me know.

OK, forgot to reply, but better late than never. ahem

Button arrived, nicely padded with a bag of harddisk grommets. Seems someone else’s replacement parts ended up in my envelope. Replacement went fine, button works great. Since I would be dismantling the front connector panel anyway, I decided to splurge on the USB-C kit too. That went fine as well except one screw on the switch seems not long enough and doesn’t fully tighten. I didn’t want to ruin the thread so I left it like this, it’s very solid anyway. The cables of the kit as well as some of the original cables do seem a bit on the short side though.

Anyway, exceptional service from Fractal, as in prompt reply and sending of replacement parts, and no fuss about warranty either. Nicely done!

1 Like

Maybe that was their plan all along… “random” defect that helps the user decide to buy more accessories.

If so they’re botching it up badly, I had quite the search to find a store that had a kit, and in stock too. Luckily, good price too.

I was gonna reply cause I have an R6, but then I realized that I haven’t touched my power button since i built the computer. My computer booted up when I plugged in the power. I’ve never touched the power button. Cause I put my pc to sleep, and I have the bios set to wake the computer from sleep with the keyboard.