Anyone know their way around lazarus free pascal?

Hello sir/madam,

I have gotten my ear with info that I could “easily” make gui applications with free pascal lazarus editor. Do you have any other tips n tricks other than follow the wiki.

If you want I will add you to nxtgc.ddns.net/cred.html

1 Like

Oh that brings back memories. That is a quite nice IDE to build GUI applications. BUT unless you’re using Pascal already, learning Lazarus is a bit much to build GUI’s. It’s Pascal anyway, not something widely in use anymore, I’m not sure at all if Lazarus has held up over the years, have not been following. If you’re not finding much info, no surprise. Pascal overall is niche of a niche now. They used to teach it in schools when I was younger, they switched to C++. I’ve yet to come across an Open Source project written in Pascal.

There is a far better (more modern) way to do GUI these days - by using QT. It is a ‘full stack’ solution. There are also other alternatives, like GTK, for which you can build GUI with a builder called Glade, and then build logic on the resource in any language you’ve got bindings for. I use that approach when I need to go cross-platform, since I don’t use C++ anymore and don’t generally like introducing QT into my projects.

You’d find more resources going with those solutions.

1 Like

The universal gui is of course web browser

That does not fly when you need to make a quick and lightweight system application. Electron is a hell of a hammer, but not everything is a nail.

And c/c++ do not fly when you need to easily make a portable, sandboxed application.