Anyone here like to cook?

I don’t cook much anymore, usually only after I’ve been to a restaurant that everyone is raving about and I need to prove to myself that even I can’t make something that bad.

That and most the stuff I make takes anywhere from 4 hours to 2 days to make and with major heart problems that kinda restricts what I can really do anymore, had a cardiac event in May just making oatmeal. Still fun to make something that people can’t stop eating that is way too spicy for anything that is not an Unholy abomination such as myself.

I make a 5 alarm chili that can put people in the hospital if they aren’t used to spicy food.
and a spicy summer sausage that’s you cant stop eating but its a sure cure for hemorrhoids (flaming arse) (wild onions, Philippine jungle peppers, and daves insanity sauce added)
those jungle peppers are brutal (i would rather put a hot coal in my mouth than eat one of those little B*******)hot

otherwise known as siling labuyo or birds eye pepper
the site says they are milder than a habenero (but dont believe it)but when found in the wild and dried the heat is concentrated.

2 Likes

I like it when other people cook.

1 Like

I have a hard time finding the right Pepper to grow, ghost peppers taste good but are too sweet and most everything else I have tried taste bad and they all seem to have the same spicy but will destroy you digestive system quality. Lived in Mexico for a few years when I was growing up and they had Tree Chili’s that would grow between 3 to 6 feet tall but haven’t been able to find those in the U.S. Look and taste like a bolivian rainbow chili, well the peppers do the plants look quite a bit different but they were deffinately up there on the scoville scale. They didn’t have the gut destroying qualities you get from Habanero or viper chili peppers but they were drastically hotter than a bolivian rainbow chili.

1 Like

@sycpuppy i would recommend a ghost pepper blueberry hot sauce good on pork beef and game birds and noodles (pizza if you are brave like me) i grow a Anaheim & ghost pepper hybrid lots of flavor and a really hot pepper i pickle em a lot

I absolute hate cooking. I wish I still had my wife or ex-fiancee to do it for me.

I have a similar issue w/any bread actually. I’m an unfortunately ‘winner’ of a worst-case bout of Menetrier’s and had to have most of my stomach excised. So it’s a volume/motility thing rather than a blood sugar thing. About half an Olive Garden breadstick and I’m uncomfortably full for most of a day. So I avoid bread and am cautious on pasta.

Pizza and spaghetti are the things I miss the most. I do still eat spaghetti, I just have a bunch of sauce w/precious few noodles.

I’d love try making your sauce if you don’t mind sharing the recipe. I’d also like your low-sugar blueberry jam recipe as my son is a blueberry fiend.

TIA!

I just recently got into canning my own stuff. Being on Keto, it is insane how many COTS products have added sugars to them.

Solution: make my own. It’s fresher, and without all the bad shit in it.

I am experimenting with making Keto jams/jellies.

1 Like

This is my first time making home-made ramen noodles.

Dachi kombu broth with miso paste and home-made garlic-chili-ginger-scallion infused oil, wakame seaweed, roasted cauliflower, quorn chicken style pieces marinated in home-made teriyaki sauce. Oh and overcooked soft-boiled egg because my wife’s phone didn’t set the alarm properly.

3 Likes

Made some potato soup.
Water some hamburger and a bag of red potatoes.
Then open fridge and see what is available
Last week I bought something called vodka sauce, half was still in fridge.
Also found some Velveeta cheese…through them in.
Carrots, onions and celery and a bunch of spices including those leaves you put in soup.
simmered on stove a day and a half.
Not a single burn on the bottom of the stock pot!

Try making your own vodka sauce, I almost always make all my sauces from scratch and it’s so much better freshly made.

2 Likes

Next time:
Boil the egg, then let it soak in rice wine and soy sauce for a few hours before making the ramen itself.
The flavors will soak in the egg and color the white… It’s amazing… You can add spices, ginger, garlic, whatever…
But the basic marinade of soy sauce and rice wine is fine as well…

1 Like

suregel pectin packages for low or no sugar jams and jellies
has the recipes in the box.
the key to jams and jellies is exact measures example 1 cup sugar means full but leveled off with knife or spatula.
you can make them no sugar but add stevia or splenda to sweeten ( But i prefer the fruits natural sweetness with out the added sugar.
as soon as i dig out the sauce recipe Ill post it!

If the jam does not set you can add more pectin (But i just use the unset jellies as syrups for waffles or use them in other recipes (cake batters for instance))

this recipe makes a large batch of sauce
use fresh herbs for best flavor

1 gallon (pureed tomato)
2 15 0z cans of tomato paste (I used Contadina)
8 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
4 tomatillas (diced)
2 tbsp fresh parsley
4 tbsp fresh basil
1/2 pound of mushrooms
1/2 cup marsala red wine
1 large vidalia onion (diced)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
barillo extra virgin olive oil.

saute the garlic, onions, and mushrooms in olive oil and Worcestershire sauce until tender, In a large pot put the tomato puree, tomato paste, red wine, and tomatillas
cook slowly on low heat.
(Use a flame diffuser to keep from scorching sauce in the bottom of the pot)

add the sauteed mixture to the pot and simmer for approximately 4 hours.

this sauce is slightly tart and works for both pasta and pizza.

to sweeten it more for pasta do not add sugar add 3 tbsp of crushed rosemary at the start
and only use 2 tomatillas.
the longer this sauce cooks the better it will be
if you wish to add pepper use fresh ground black and white pepper near the end of cooking or just before serving.

added note If you are using an electric range watch the temp closely!

1 Like

i know what you mean about cardiac events Ive had 4 of them and am currently sporting an implanted monitor and under dr’s restrictions ( surprisingly not cholesterol related) but due to excessive stress and high blood pressure.

doesn’t stop me from cooking though! if anything Ive been cooking a lot of heart healthy and low carb dishes.

I made Coq au Vin (rooster in wine stew). Just like Mom used to make.

3 Likes

that looks really good!

anyway got cookie cutter hands (sore)
made so many cookies the past few days that my blood sugar goes up just looking at them :rofl:
oh well the kids and grand-kids love them so they wont last long!

1 Like

on to the odious task of transcribing all the old hand written recipes into digital files.
making wifey happy as many of the older recipes are a bit hard to read and the paper is disintegrating due to age.
then it going to be organizing them!

1 Like

spam post is spam
@Gnuuser hmu if you want unlock