Anyone have the Fostex T50RP_V1 from Mayflower Electronics?

I've been looking into getting a new set of headphones for music/movie consumption instead of using my Sennheiser HD 598's. The 598's are great for gaming and streaming for the sound stage, and simply being able to hear how loud I'm talking.
However, I feel them lacking in the some of the music that I listen to. I mainly listen to 80's rock and metal and watch a ton of movies, so I need some more bass in my life. Also, I got a nice tax return to blow. $$$
Can anyone personally recommend the Mayflower Electronics Fostex T50RP's Version 1's? I recall Logan saying he likes them for heavy rock.
Anyone have any experience with them? If i get them, I'm getting it with the headband upgrade and the Version 3 pads.
Or should I just get the version 3's, or something else entirely in the same $250ish price range?

What do you guys think?

Bump

I got them, with the v3 pads and headband too.

First of all, these have the most freakin comfortable pads ever. They weren't kidding about this - the HD598's (I have those too) are fairly light, but the pads press against your head, which you get used to fairly quickly. These have zero stress, even though the headphones are considerably heavier. They're like pillows. I actually feel comfortable trying to fall asleep in these, compared to the HD598's. Logan mentioned them having considerable clamping force, and the adjustment was hard at first, but it loosened up. I had neither of these issues when I got them.

The sound won't seem as distinct as the HD598's, mostly due to the fact that they're not as open, and they while they are comfortable they do feel more closed. However, these cans EXCEL at texture. Omigosh, glitch and industrial sound so great in these. I'm not as big of a fan of rock/metal, but it does sound pretty good. People describe planar magnetic drivers as sounding "fast," and it definitely benefits when listening to rock.

After using the T50RP's for so long, I am starting to understand why Logan doesn't like Sennheiser's. They're soft and kind of muddy. The only downside I can think of for the T50RP's in this case is that they're heavier and also quieter. You'd definitely benefit from getting an amp for these. The V1's have less bass than the V3's, apparently - I haven't used the V3's myself, but personally I'm not that much of a basshead, and I've really grown to like these headphones.

P.S. If you're looking specifically for more bass, I would probably go for the V3's, as it's not really that much of an improvement over the HD598's, but I would ask for input from someone else who has the V3's.

1 Like

Nice! I might actually get the version 3's then, if you say the bass on the Version 1's isn't much more than the 598's. And I already have the Objective2 with ODAC Rev. B | Tek Syndicate Edition, so the amp shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks!

As a user of the T50RP V1 with the V3 headband pad and memory foam ear muffs, These are the best headphones I have ever used. I've owned these for over 2 years now and they're hardy as fuck. I've dropped them so many times on the hardwood floor yet they're still in brand new condition. I would HIGHLY recommend getting these headphones with the v3 pads like Logan did. If you go on Mayflower's website and order the V3 pads with the V1 headphones, they'll ship it to you pre-installed. No work needed. I would recommend getting your own headphone cable too, I use Pistol's favorite brand (v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/). Like Jeol above said, you definitely want these with an amp too. I got the basic amp/dac combo from mayflower for ~$220. Completely worth the purchase, as I've also owned this for over 2 years. I'm going to be travelling the U.S. soon and I'm taking these babys everywhere. They'll last forever. Also one thing to take note, If you get the V1's with the V3 pads, they'll add more base than the V1's had originally. Balancing out the treble a little more. Since I've owned bass-boosted headphones before from Sony, I've had a bad experience with not being able to hear all the sounds in my music. But it all comes down to personal preference. Good luck with your purchase! You won't regret it.

1 Like

How do you know that you will like the dac from mayflower their are so many dac's out their you can try. If you have a store near by go and try out what they have. They let you try before you buy I know. And if bass is what you want just add some bass through the E.Q. that is what it is their for. Seriously e.q. software is good enough to tailor your sound.

If you have a chance to try out headphones try out the grado sr225's they are perfect for metal and rock. And have a more open soundstage for grados. Like the RS 1000's.