Anyone got a recommendation for online backup?

Depends on your definition of online. Anything available through the internet is arguably online. I am not suggesting building a rackmount server with a bunch of drives, just a dirt cheap, used, low power PC, with 2-3 drives, something you can shove under a desk or something.
It really depends on your “data loss threat model”. If you are not worried about your house catching fire, getting flooded or burgled, than you can shove that PC under your own desk/closet/whatever. If you need an off-site backup, you would need to shove it under someone else’s desk, but maybe they would not mind paying for the small amount of power it uses, if you offer that they can use it for backups as well. Or make some sort of similar arrangement.

Or you could mean “online” as in not offline, like tape backups. But I don’t think that’s what the OP was asking for.

46 TB - damn. In the G-suite it’s unlimited if there are a minimum of 5 users? So is it just setting up 5 users, and the use one of them for all the uploading? Are will it all have to be spread out between many users?

You’re not the only one.

I was/am considering this. I could park the computer at my parents house ~50 km away. But with an unlimited g-suite I could backup everything, and that appeals to me.
And transfer speeds between me and my parents would be good. Unlike in Murica, we have sane pricing on our internet in Denmark. You can get 500/500 fiber for 75 usd a month.
I have a 300/50, and my parents have a 300/300. No bandwidth cap.
The only thing we have bandwidth caps on in Denmark is our phones 4g. And if we use all our cellular data, it will only throttle down. Not cut off.

Well that would be cool, but unlike Linus from LTT, I don’t have 5000$ for a tape drive :slight_smile:

Edited for typos and such. And grammar mistakes.

You don’t need 5 users. They give unlimited space with just 1.

The only real limit is you can only upload 750GB per day.

1 Like

Where did you see this? I thought 10usd a month was like 2tb.

Edit: ohh. it’s that price for business users.

Edit 2: do you actually need a business to get google drive business plans?

I mean, I said “GSuite for Business” in my post.

No, you don’t need a real business. You do need a domain name. Go to namecheap.com and pick one up for $0.88/year.

Perineum.us is available!

2 Likes

Thank you!

And I’m sorry for not catching where you mentioned business in your post. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not a problem.

And beyond backup, there’s tons of stuff you can do with unlimited cloud storage. Like, for example, using rclone to mount an encrypted datastore with, say 30 terabytes of movies you legally ripped from blu-rays you own, and then pointing Plex Media Server to it to stream anywhere.

You could in theory setup a cronjob to rclone sync your fairly small NAS to the GDrive and then keep all your data permanently, never need to clean up.

All this would be a tremendous value even compared to buying 8TB drives, shucking them, and building your own very large NAS at home.

But of course you do need decent upload speed to really take advantage of it. I only jumped in when I upgraded from 30Mb upload cable to 1Gb fiber.

1 Like

I think you are golden with that. Ordinary HDDs are rather cheap these days, you could buy 3*1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM drives for 150 USD, set up a RAID-Z pool (kinda like RAID5) and have 2TB of usable capacity. ZFS has built in data compression and you can make file system snapshots.
As for security/privacy, the entire system is under your control, so it is up to you how secure you make it.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but what about answering the same question but with solutions involving your own server?

Say you have a cheap OwnCloud or OpenMediaVault, what would you guys use to sync your disk images over the internet to a server you control? (at a friend or relative’s house)

Using your own server(s) wouldn’t cost you any online storage subscription money and you could distribute it to as many internet-connected raspberry pi’s around the world as you’d like :wink:

I asked something similar here where I looked into duplicati and urbackup for OpenMediaVault, but they don’t cut it. I’d be excited to instead just have a system that syncs my own local backups incrementally to a server.

Rsync.

Rsync is an unintuitive black hole to me. Can it:

• track a large file that can sometimes be replaced on the client by a new version by a 3rd party? Like a local backup disk image file?
  • evaluate the diff between the local and the remote and push over the internet only the differences and then merge on the remote?
  • preferably also store some incremental versions of that file on the server (with automatic cleanup)?
  • Rsync is SSH/SFTP, right? Can it resume an interrupted internet connection on a large file transfer?

My remote server is in a dust proof enclosure cabinet located in a my detached garage in the event my home is lost my data is backed up and protected
the side benefit of this is no noise from the server cooling fans
connected with fiber optic cabling its isolated from electrical damage through the network.
a power conditioner is (ups and isolation transformer) are located in the bottom of the cabinet.
Im a bit paranoid and I don’t trust online storage services at all

2 Likes

I like how you think :stuck_out_tongue:
Is the enclosure also a good faraday cage to protect you from solar flares? :slightly_smiling_face:

I totally want that, but I’d also want redundancies in at least 2-3 different places on the planet, and maybe also on the moon and mars while we’re at it :smiley:

1 Like