Anyone else interested in AMD 16 core

HEDT chips have always been renamed server chips, usually the lower bins.

PUHLEAZE

I'm interested in their 48 core 96 thread CPU in 2018.

2 Likes

U kidding right? 8 Cores host 8 Cores vm @ 4 Ghz wet dreams

It looking pretty exciting in the intel / AMD shootout. Thank god for competition.

1 Like

You do realize intel has also been jacking up the core counts every generation on the server side, right? I mean too be fair, AMD went from an 8 core HEDT line (fx 83**) to another line of 8 core HEDT parts (Ryzen 7).

2 Pages of AMD trademarks with several as yet unheard names.

Kyzen or Promethean anyone?

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/advanced-micro-devices-inc-2465522/

1. Grok
  2. Jitzu
  3. Joro
  4. Vara
  5. Threadripper
  6. Promethean
  7. CoreAmp
  8. Epyc
  9. Pharos
  10. Kyzen (Future part?)
  11. Aragon
  12. Zenso

What Is AMD Planning?

Was this perhaps once Vega?

Mainly becaue they had to push the reset button on the arhitecutre complete redesign. That's why we are where we are now. Fresh start.

Just don't pour 3000 into it again, it's not worth it IMHO (unless you need all that power for actual work). I'd wait a bit if I were you. Or just go fishing for a month instead of renewing the rig, but that's just me :smiley: ...

First of all, you already have a beast, it can definitely last another year or two.
Second: I have a feeling that the software side still hasn't fully gotten to the point where all those cores could be used efficiently.
Third: by the time software catches up, the platform will be mature and you can enjoy a more modern motherboard.
Fourth: You really need to test the hardware you want to buy and get an idea what kind of performance difference it is compared to your old hardware. Because if you pour a bunch of money and don't feel a huge difference, it's gonna be "and that hurts the ego somewhat" all over again.

Knowing Intel, even if this is real, they'll cost more than a new economy car!

1 Like

Have a look here, for what I'm pretty sure is going to be real with AMD. :wink:

Thread can be found here:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/list-of-interesting-amd-trademark-fillings/

The point that I was trying to make is that even if Intel builds these huge, multi-core server CPUs, it will be largely irrelevant, because the price would be stratospheric.

AMD, on the other hand, does have several monster CPUs in the works. They are based not only on the Zen core, but ARM cores, as well. IIRC, they've even been working on a hybrid Zen/ARM CPU. I just hope that they will eventually see the light of day, because they most likely will be affordable.

I'm a Linux guy (although I understand that Microsoft has been tarting up their Windows RT code base to support the latest ARM CPUs - there MUST be a good reason, eh?), so I confess that having a workstation running a couple of dozen ARM V8 cores holds a certain appeal. Something like that would also be a great replacement for my antique twin Opteron home server, too.

You have to be joking. AMD has had all this planned out for ages now. They have been demoing and talking about 32 core chips for a while now. The whole design of Zen was predicated around being able to scale it up as much as they want. If anything, Intel saw the 32 core server chips, realized they would make their way to the mainstream, and started working up the i9 and x299 stuff.

1 Like

I'm more interested in Naples when that hits. Price better be good.

2 Likes

They've already been doing this for a while. It's not about the cost of the cpu upfront in the datacenter as much as it is about power draw and power cost over the length of the server's usable lifespam, or until it becomes more financially sensible to replace that server with another that can perform the same role but at a lower cost of power. Pricing upfront matters, but performance per watt metrics can outweigh a more expensive upfront cost depending on how long those machines are going to be used.

You are absolutely correct; you have no argument from me. But, my antique dual Opteron server doesn't live in a datacenter, it lives at my house. And, not being independently wealthy, I will probably replace that machine with another AMD based unit, once these groovy new AMD server CPUs become available. So, the fact that Intel may also offer 32-core CPUs is completely irrelevant to me, because I can't even afford their 8-core products. Stupidly expensive Intel CPUs DO have their place, unfortunately that place just doesn't include my house.

3 Likes

Unless some amazing engineering breakthroughs are made to push ipc or clockspeeds up from here on out its all about the cores / threads baby :smiley: .

Hell Yes! bring it on......:relaxed:

1 Like

Very true. It like in the consumer desktop space we have been going through the quad core dark ages in history and now it time to move forward on core wars.

1 Like

Those were for server market. Who's to say, Intel thought they were the only one with a 16c HEDT and overprice it again. It's not a coincidence that we also see a 16c HEDT from AMD leaked soon afterwards. They're playing price games here.