Anyone else here dislike Anime?

first if you haven't watched it yet watch avatar the last airbender, its anime inspired and even though its from nickelodeon my favorite animated tv show of all time, it doesnt really count as anime is guess

second im currently watching cowboy bebop and i love it, its perfect for western audiences and it has a great dub

"Loads of things flying all over the screen"

Ever seen a Michael Bay film?

i think transformers was the worst. like wtf is even happening.

Yes and they're shit.

I gave Monster a go, but I just could not get into it. The dialogue made me wince, although to be fair that could be partly down to the voice acting. I am going to watch Ghost in The Shell though, as I remember hearing good things about that.

Personally, I prefer to just read the manga counterpart for the vast majority of anime. Manga allows me to go through the plot at my own speed, so I don't have to suffer through slow and awkward scenes, and i can cover much more in the same amount of time. Some of my favorite animated shows, though, just to provide some counter-points.

• Avatar the Last Airbender: This show is awesome and was an important part of my childhood.
  • Anything Miyazaki: I like Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle.
  • Rouroni Kenshin: nice and bloody, definitely a favorite. The manga is considerably longer than the anime, which stops at the end of the primary antagonist's death.
  • Ghost in the Shell, the movie, is pretty good.
  • If you're into really dark, messed up things, consider Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne.

I personally dislike Anime. The art style is just a total turn off and the voices especially on the female characters I find are extremely annoying. I did enjoy older shows in my childhood which I think are considered Anime such as: Pokemon, YuGiOh, Digimon shows like that. As of now the only enjoyment from those shows are purely nostalgia. Lots of my friends are into Anime and try to force me to watch some and I always refuse as I have tried multiple times to enjoy it and have concluded it is simply not for me. The most recent thing I've watched which is maybe remotely similar to Anime was a foreign film adaptation of a Manga called Ichi the Killer and I really enjoyed that.

Haven't seen anyone say this yet, but watch the subs. People tell me there are good dubs out there, but I have yet to come across any I find comparable to the original Japanese voices. Granted, I haven't seen that many anime shows, but the ones I have seen always sound better in the originals. I tried watching One Piece (don't shoot) dubbed, and that lasted for all of 2 minutes that I'll never get back.The sub, however is very good. Yes, it has a lot of fight scenes (which I think are very well-executed and are never for no reason), but it's also a very plot-and-character driven anime. The main characters all have very deep background stories, and I still find the show interesting after 600-odd episodes. If you ever do decide to watch OP, know that for most people it takes about 30ish episodes (first really good arc) for them to decide that they really like it, so stick with it. But, like I said, it's over 600 episodes and still going strong, so don't bother if you're not into stuff that long.

Right now, I'm watching an anime called Dennou:Coil, which you might like if you don't appreciate constant action. The art style is cool (imo), and I'm finding it very much to be a commentary on the technologicalized society that is taking over. It's nice to have a change of pace anime that's not about powering up all the time.

Don't think Im learning Japanese, dont think im learning Japanese, dont really think so.

Don't think Im learning Japanese, dont think im learning Japanese, dont really think sooooo.

Want a good plot driven Anime that still retains some action scenes, go check out Gungrave, it is a Mafia crime anime with some Sci-fi thrown in. If you prefer more action, with some horror thrown in I suggest Claymore. Both are fantastic anime.

You don't need to know Japanese, you just need to know how to read English. I know hardly any Japanese and I get along fine. Granted there are jokes that don't translate like plays on words or cultural references, but for the most part subs are alright.

I just dug up this post so I could eat crow. 

I decided to stay in tonight and was browsing on Netflix and came across a show called Attack on Titan. I'd heard somewhere that it was a pretty good anime. I clicked play and thought to myself "it's only twenty minutes long, give it a chance".

Holy. Jesus. Christing. Balls. I absolutely loved it. It was fantastic. I'm really tired so I decided not to have anymore tonight, but man I can't wait to watch the next episode.

1 Like