Anybody with a deeper understanding of TPM and Secure Boot

Does using secure boot and/or TPM put a drain on a PC battery at all when the system is off. Trying to track down a mysterious battery drain on my pc that causes battery replacement after about a month repeatedly.

If it drains even though the computer is connected to the mains then there is a serious problem with the board. It’s used as a voltage reference for the CMOS memory so the latches don’t let go and is powered by +5VSB when the computer is plugged in and on. They pull micro amps of current and should last years (as you probably already know)

Seems unrelated to SB/TPM. turn 'm off and you’ll soon find out

I tried removing the tpm and it still died after a month. Now, I have it disconnected from power when not in use, but all my machines are and the others are older with older batteries. But this is the only one using secure boot.

I have it disconnected from power when not in use

Then it will use power from the battery as the 5V standby rail is not available and will drain faster.

if your using windows check the status of hpet in windows itself.

open an elivated cmd and type:
hpettool /t
you should see a message saying hpet supported and enabled on this system.

then
bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
to disable hpet in windows.

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
to enable hpet in windows.

you should keep hpet enabled in bios.
in windows if its enabled it will increase the rate at which the clock tick is read by some x14 times which has a knock on effect of increased battery drain on the cmos battery.

that being said it normally takes about 6 months before you see an issue with eufi/bios clocks desyncing with a fresh battery.

on the off chance have you updated your bios/eufi recently.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.