Anybody overclock ASRockRack ROMED8-2T with EPYC?

Has anybody attemped to overclock an EPYC milan cpu on the Asrock motherboard?
It has the option to overclock P0 state in the BIOS.

Yes, it seems like it ignores things mostly. Ctdp seems to be the most reliable way to get the most out of a chip. 7713 with ctdp maxed out is a steal of a 64 core CPU

2 Likes

Rocking a 7713 here myself with cTDP set to 240W.

I diddled with the BIOS overclock settings and it ignored them all.

2 Likes

I’m looking at buying this board, so a question for the owners of one; is there anything you don’t like about it or reason I shouldn’t go with this board?

I haven’t got anything to complain about except its availability in its original release version. The 1.0 version has a USB-C port on the I/O plate which bumps the available external USB ports to 3.

The later 2.0 version which is labeled as the ROMED8-2T/BCM model which was created because of the limited availability of the original Intel i550-AT 10Gb chipset for the LAN ports had to substitute a Broadcom 10Gb chipset seems to be the only model that has good stock availability now. However that model dropped the USB-C port dropping your external USB port count.

Other than that development, I think the Asrock Rack iteration for the Rome/Milan cpus is a solid performer.

2 Likes

Thanks Keith, I ended up going Threadripper Pro and the Gigabyte G40 board.

Cool. Let us know how it goes for you as your preferred solution.
Never used a Gigabyte board, curious how their professional solutions work out.

1 Like

I have this board and a 7543 milan 32core chip.
Setting the Ctdp up to 240 is overclocking?

I am new to the epyc/threadripper scene. Been reading and set the Ctdp to 240. It has increased the cpu temp so i know it has done something. Sadly i am unable to see realtime cpu clock rates in unraid which is the host OS.
Everything i see (bios and unraid gui) report the same static 2.8ghz
I also set the bios to performance and kvm profile.
Any pointers are appreciated.

Don’t know anything about unraid. Can you install normal Debian/Ubuntu applications or compile applications from those type of sources?

I like zenpower3 and zenmonitor3 for looking at voltages, power, temps and clocks on my Epyc 7V12 and Epyc 7713.

zenpower3
zenmonitor3

1 Like

Thanks but i am not changing the OS to see cpu freq. Unless you meant as a VM in which case yes unraid does VMs and containers. Btw, i did find a cli output for near real time per cpu freq. I can confirm the cores spike up to 3.7ghz when pushed by an application.
Thank you, great community here.

Yes, you should always be able to look in the /proc/cpuinfo system.

watch -n1 “cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep ‘MHz’”

is simple enough in the Terminal.

1 Like

Over here, but it’s a very quiet thread, I think I might be on my own. :frowning:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/gigabyte-mc62-g40/