Anybody had luck setting up OpenMediaVault on a Raspberry Pi 1?

I have a Raspberry Pi B+ and I was hoping to set it up with OpenMediaVault to make little NAS out of it. But I'm having constant problems. Has anyone here ever tried it on an RPi 1?

What sort of problems are you having?

The RPi 1 is a very ornery beast, the Broadcom chip has some "features" that can really screw things up if you don't know about it's quirks...

so if you could give detailed crash dumps (if there is any) or even just a highly detailed report of what you were having trouble with, then and only then will we be able to help.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I've been busy for a couple days and haven't really been able to mess with it since the original post. Frankly I haven't spent a lot of time on it, I was just curious if anyone had actually successfully done it with an RPi 1 who would let me pick their brain. I'll probably just give up for now and get an RPi 3 when I have a few bucks and do the project on that.

For what its worth though, I basically downloaded the newest RPi version of OpenMediaVault and extracted it to an SD card, put it in the Pi and booted it. It started up but I couldn't access the web panel because I was getting a 502 Bad Gateway. So I figured it was the php5-pam problem I'd read of with RPi 1, so I went and found this fix online, which was to download a different php5 package from my understanding, and install it, downgrading the newer version that apparently doesn't work on the RPi 1. Again, if I understood it right. So I tried that, and I was then able to get into the web panel, but any time I tried to log in it would give me a "communication failure" message. I did a little googling on that and apparently its basically when you've buggered up the packages, which I assume I did by trying to install that downgrade. So I'm not sure what to do since it doesn't seem to work with or without the downgrade.

Like I said though, I'm probably going to give up and just buy an RPi 3, unless someone happens to know a fix quickly. I don't want to waste a lot of people's time on here for nothing.

OMV is x86
RPi is ARM

"openmediavault is the next generation network attached storage (NAS) solution based on Debian Linux. It contains services like SSH, (S)FTP, SMB/CIFS, DAAP media server, RSync, BitTorrent client and many more. Thanks to the modular design of the framework it can be enhanced via plugins." -openmediavault.org

So... basically it's just a piece of software that pre-configures various servers. It makes sense to use something like that if you do not have a lot of time and it happens to work well. That said, complex software packages tend to fail catastrophically. If OpenMediaVault it is not working well you can also set up the services you actually need individually and that might save you time in the long run than trying to debug it for hours on end.

Not sure if this will be useful, but it couldn't hurt. Here's some copypasta from a guide index I wrote earlier:

That's everything besides "DAAP media server," whatever that is, and RSync. RSync can be set up using a shell script since it's basically just for automating backups. robocopy on windows over smb is a lazier alternative. Not sure about osx.

OMV has versions specifically for RPi. They just don't work very well on RPi 1 (although it can be done), which I knew going in, but its what I have so I thought I'd give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I'll come up with something else like I said above. But it was a free project I could do with stuff I had on hand so I didn't have a lot to lose.

1 Like

Didnt know that

Thanks for all the links!

I'll look into them a bit, but honestly this was an idea I came up with pretty fast and didn't have very high hopes for it working. I'll probably just come up with a different solution entirely, or just buy an RPi 3. It seems to work far better on that platform from what I have read. I just don't have one on hand, but I had an RPi 1 so I figured it was worth trying out.

Same with me. I had problems with the FastCGI process manager, the monit package, and the openmediavault packages on my Raspberry Pi 1 B.

@William_Wilkerson feel free to make a new thread and link to this one if you’re looking for help. Some of these people aren’t around on the forum anymore.