Any way to set up the AverMedia Live Gamer 4K GC573 in Linux

I there a way to get the AverMedia Live Gamer 4K GC573 working on Linux?

I bought an AverMedia Live Gamer 4K GC573 on sale assuming it would just plug’n’play on my Ubuntu-based box. But while it is detected,

Multimedia video controller: Avermedia Technologies Inc Device 0054

it doesn’t seem there are drivers for it.

NOPE.

The 4K HDR capture card has zero drivers for Linux. Only works in Windows 10. (not even 8.1 or 7)

Doesn’t even work in PCI-E Passthrough.

The only one that works with 4K 60fps in Linux (reliably) is the Magewell LT HDMI capture card:

2 Likes

HOLY CRAP!! $900!!

Thanks, I think I will remove the Avermedia card and return it.

Was really hoping to do some game play captures and avoid the stuttering that seems to be caused by OBS at times raising my GPU temps by 15-20degrees celcius.

you can get cheaper epiphan, magewell or bmd products that work, as well as other, older cards up to 1080p.

was really hoping for 4K

The epiphan avio products and the magewell USB capture plus (and possibly the usb capture gen2) are options for a lot less money if you’re not dead-set on a pcie device.

most capture cards are hit or miss on linux though unless you buy from the 3 aforementioned companies.

IIRC Hauppage used to have decent support too.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that Magewell I linked is the ONLY 4K 60p option with a Loop Through for Linux. That’s literally it.

For 4K 30p, the Decklink Mini Recorder 4K works very well on Linux.

1 Like

OK, thanks.
I’ll return the Avermedia card and wait. I am actually now also thinking of going with the USB or other external option, if any, just for the portability.

I thought I would give ndiswrapper a try to install the Windows driver for the GC573 and have Linux use that like back in the day when we had to use windows drivers to get wifi and printers working. Sadly can’t remember how to use ndiswrapper and the capture card is not a wifi or printer device so it probably wouldn’t have worked anyway.

NDI hardware solutions might work, but need a hefty CPU for 4K 60p… and cost MORE.

But yeah, wrapping a Windows driver will most certainly not work.

that most likely wouldn’t work, but the usb solutions are generally ok.

I’ll save up and take another look in a few months. Currently using an i7-4790K so I know an upgrade will be needed at some point soon.

Thanks again

Cool, I wasn’t sure if USB meant increased latency, But it probably won’t be so much worse than PCIe to be very noticable.
Anyways, I guess I have time to save up now knowing what I would need to get for Linux compatibility.

Thank again

The Decklink Quad HDMI card might be worth looking into if you’re doing a full rig update. 4 inputs, with each supporting 4K 60p over PCI-E x8.

1 Like

SWEET!! Thanks, I will be on the lookout for the card. The 4 inputs make it a much better of an option that the other cards out there for the price

Got the DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder this week. It is a nice little card once you figure out how to set it up properly to work with ffmpeg.

The issue I have now is OBS settings. Using the FFMPEG-VAAPI with my Radeon VII turns into a pixelated nightmare. It is like the capture is stugling to keep up with the frames being loaded so leaves this pixelated mess behind till it then refreshes on frames where there is no movement or change. While using x264 results in clean images but massive frame rates drops to as low as 15fps and uses about 50%-60% of my Ryzen 9 3950X. This is just doing test by captures of a minute or so of playing back sample video clips on my computer. Haven’t even gotten to games yet.

AMD really need to do something about their encoders or work with people to get their GPUs working

Yeah, You’re better off with a RTX 2070 Super as Turing NVENC is really good, even on Linux.

I suspect, I may have to do that at some point but we’ll see; the FFMPEG-VAAPI may even be community developed and nothing to do with AMD which makes the encoder situation at AMD even worse.

After 2days of playing around with OBS, I finally managed to find passable settings ithat don’t overload the encoder (I still find this odd seeing that the CPU is hardly under any kind of serious load even when gaming).

Testing an upload to YouTube now to see if the file is recognized or accepted. I had to turn down the frame rate to 10 fps and use the bilinear downscale filter in the Video options in OBS to get it stable using

• VBR,
  • bit rate of 10000 Kbps,
  • CPU usage preset of superfast,
  • profile of high, and
  • zerolatency Tune

These seemed to get best visual quality results for game capture which I am treating as my stress test. Figured if that works, then other video capture should be fine and I can increase bit rates and other things as needed.

The problem is that AMD GPUs choke the encoder with more GPU usage. Try playing with Vsync on.

This article should help a little:

Thanks for all your help. Still reading the article but it is still baffling that AMD don’t spend as much time on their encoders and getting the GPUs to play well with the encoders. Especially seeing that they are selling WX and SSG class GPU specifically for video editing and media creation work.

I wonder if using my old Vega 64 purely for encoding and the Radeon VII for rendering will help with the GPU usage issue until I can find a cheap used RTX 2070/super. Had planned to put it up on eBay but then had to RMA my Radeon VII after it shorted out. So have been keeping the Vega 64 as a backup just in case.
It is ironic that Vega’s primary problem has always been GPU under-utilization but it still throttles the encoder.

EposVox recommends against using 2 GPUs for dedicating 1 to encode if you are using a non-HEDT and non quad-channel system. Just get a 2070 Super. With the OBS administrator priority fix, that makes the most sense for your system.