Any Ubiquiti Litebeam M5 allignment tips

hello internet,

I got a set of Ubiquiti Litebeam M5’s.

I do not know that the technical name for this type of equipment is but they are basically transceivers attached to directional antennas used to make network connections over longer distances.

I intend to use for them a LAN connection a little under a mile away. I finished configuring them for my needs and tomorrow I go about the process of mounting and aligning them.
Obviously I know the basics you want line of sight with as few obstructions as possiple for best results. Exactly how to get them pointed at each other as good as possiple at this kind of distance seems to be something that will be quite a challenge. I was wondering if anybody around here has any experience with this type of equipment and could share some info.

One more thing, not to be a dick but also note if you have no experience with these but maybe know of a resource of information on the topic that I may have overlooked please do share. Do not try to act like an expert on something you never even attempted. I know this is the internet but that is obnoxious.

Try be slightly nicer to people who your asking for help. I get armchair experts suck, but being rude to people whom are yet to contribute time to help you for no return is not a wise idea.

I have a ubiquiti nanobeam M5 (19 dBi) and a powerbeam M5 300 (22 dBi) in Australia, not sure if products are localized in any way so your mileage may vary. In my experience the provided software with some trail and error was all that I needed to align them, although there is also a Linus Tech Tips video if you ever need to laugh at somebody failing at it worse than yourself to de-stress. However while aligning worked, they didn’t STAY aligned well, so I recommend using as sturdy of a mount as you can and once aligned tightening as much as your game to load on those threads or time and wind vibration will move it slowly.

Height from the ground seems ti actually help at long range, even when clear line of sight could be had from ground-level. Not sure exactly why though.

Also worth noting, 1 mile is a range where you’d get 100Mbps off VDSL2 over regular copper cable such as phone or cat5e, which depending on your needs may or maynot be a more reliable option.

Some reasources that can help figure out your setup…
http://wisp.heywhatsthat.com/
http://www.heywhatsthat.com/profiler.html

I got nothing but respect/admiration for those who spend there time helping others but at the same time I am getting older and I have less patience for the no nothing time burglars who waste my time. My comment was not directed at those who actually know things just at those looking to grow there e-penis without actually becoming knowledgeable on any topic

soo… how do you use the provided software? is it something included in the config pages when you type the ip of the devices into a browser? because thats all I got…

True but in between is not my land

Just to be clear I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to my topic here, thanks for your help.

By software I mean: https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/airOS/airOS_UG_V80.pdf

It pays to have a 2nd person if you can, one looking at the app the other up the pole adjusting. Also seems to update faster if there is some traffic over the link, so once you get a rough aim (which can be done by a compass (in phone app) and elevation with the bubble level build in) you’ll get a really slow link, set up a ping to run constantly or similar.

Also while its fine for testing, I really do advise you reinforce the mount if this is long term.

so how did you get them aligned good enough to connect to each other to fine tune with the software?
Did you just roughly point them in the right direction and they connected?
I haven’t started mine yet because I underestimated the cable length I needed, I have a box on order.

Like this I think:slight_smile:

so aim it say southwest? I do not know how to pinpoint the direction I need

If you need to align them then just use surveying equipment or higher a surveyor to line it up for you.

do you have any experience with this type of thing?

I was a former network technician, not specifically for RF LOS though, and I also have a degree in IST. So yeah.

Since you need to use long distance LOS the easiest way is to use a tool for that, surveying equipment was made for this sort of thing. Gonna have to do some maths to get your elevation and stuff like that so there is no easy COTS solution for your problem, but you should be able to get it to work.

Well it took some fiddling, persistence and most likely a lot of luck but I was able to get them linked up by just me and my brother moving each side around in the general direction of each other. it took about 4 hours for the initial connection and more for fine tuning.

1 Like

Glad you got it working

I see what you mean, one wind storm and I find myself having to climb up on the roof. Oh the things I must do to not pay an internet bill… I mean LAN connection for like busness or some shit yeaah I mean that.

1 Like