Any Tips For KVM Performance Improvements?

So I’m still seeing code 43. Haven’t gone through all of the xml yet, but i figured I’d ask - any recommendations?

Here’s my xml file: https://pastebin.com/nSuUxrLx

I’m passing through a GTX 970 with no Code 43. Compare the two and see if anything stands out.

Like I said, there’s the section you replace with the hidden state one, then there’s a line in the clock section. Maybe there’s something else I missed?

Downgrade drivers. Use 378.78 from Guru3D.

@FurryJackman I’m curious but why would I need to downgrade?

you don’t.

just add these lines to your XML:

@tkoham My God - it works! This is some next-level s**t right here.

My only question now is just how can I improve CPU performance? It feels like that, and the input method, are the only 2 things that need tuning now.

Also thank you everyone. I’m incredibly happy now X)

Edit:

@tkoham @marasm One last question. I’m getting an error 26 on the ‘Simple PCI Communications Controller’. Any idea what this is?

is this in the guest?

It’s an intel IME error, shouldn’t actually affect anything if so.

I only recommended 378.78 because it’s MY “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Nvidia driver. You always run a risk with the bleeding edge because of Nvidia’s hostility to GPU Passthrough on anything but a Quadro.

Anyways…

CPU performance once again gets tremendous boosts from nopti

As to some secondary things you could do, turn on Message Signaled Interrupts. It involves doing some registry editing, but once you get the pattern, you’ll know how to do it properly.

I’m looking for documentation/info on this. Is there a redhat guide that discusses the implementation of this?

It’s simply disabling the kernel page table isolation patch for Intel processors’ security vulnerability called Meltdown. It benefits high I/O circumstances like NVMe storage.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html-single/7.5_release_notes/index

It doesn’t do anything on AMD cause it’s already disabled on Ryzen.

so where are you at the moment; sorry the thread rose quite a bit - too much read.

@anon5205053 - Hey mate, sorry for the delay. Most everything is working well. Though I do have 2 questions:

• In windows, CPUz (probably not the best benchmark) recognizes all my cores as threads. Is this right?

• Mouse acceleration is weird in the VM. It either jumps all over the place, or when I hit the border it is leaving the vm. Causing a noticable delay. Any tips on this?

• Scratch the above. I figured it out.

its ok as long as cpu-z reports desirable performance.

Hey mate. Hope all is well. Need some advise. Was working in my Windows VM when it crashed. Now anytime I load the windows vm it’s stuck at the UEFI bios screen.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Edit: Stuck in Repairing Windows bootloop of death.

have you changed any settings? do you have same issues when you set up a new one?

I only added a usb speaker/microphone. But that was a couple of weeks ago.

And this only happened last night (2:00 am, give or take). I haven’t had time to configure a new one.

My VM blew up a few days afterwards. It was boot-looped and became unusable. I hadn’t backed up any of my settings or the vm itself (ouch).

I’m currently trying to rebuild a windows 10 vm but am back at error 43. Currently going through the hotfixes, and following the guides that have been shown above. But am getting nowhere fast.

Any advice is appreciated.