Any seasoned Whisk(e)y or scotch drinkers have advice on new-comers?

Had a feeling that was the case XD

Really ? because verbosity in flavors became a turn off as i got older.

If you are drinking good whiskey... do not put water in it. If you plan to do that... just buy cheap watered down whiskey. Fill a tumbler glass full of ice, and then half full of whiskey. Let it sit for a bit while you light your cigar etc. After a minute give the drink a little swirl. If you live in Canada, I would recommend 18 year old Gibsons Rare, with the red seal. They have been going through some name changes... and I believe it is now called Venerable now and not rare.

Might I add it is only 75-90 dollars a bottle. It only comes in 26 ounce bottles.
I have drank a lot of whiskey and this is by far the best, in my opinion.

This is reallllyy good

Also for a cheaper whiskey i like this, as i find Irish whiskey a lot better than the normal stuff :smiley:

I usually just have it either straight or with a couple of large ice cubes. Either one is fine. Depends on if you want the stronk flavor of the whiskey or less of it lol.

Just thought I'd chime in, I'm by no means an expert, but my 2c may be helpful. I enjoy a variety of single malt, some with ice, some with stones. All cold.

I'll preface this with

Glenlivet 12 is good for just normal drinking, I prefer this with ice over stones. I'd give it a 7.5/10. I drink this very slowly and by the bottom, it is a bit watered down, but in all honesty, it's a bit strong for my liking without a bit of water. Comes in around $45

Glenlivet Master Distillers Reserve is good for special occasions. It's the best scotch I've ever had, with a price tag to match. I can't remember where I got it or the exact price, somewhere around $120 for 750ml, but this one goes with stones only. If I remember correctly, this was a special edition that I picked up while flying through London. Their site says it's only available to international travelers.

MacAllan 12 another normal scotch, I'd give it a 8.4/10 It's quite something. Most people will probably disagree with me here that this is better than the Glenlivet 12, but I'm different. This one, I'll have straight or with stones. No ice for this, but it's of the same quality as the Glenlivet, so I wouldn't crucify you for putting ice in yours. Comes in around $45

1 Like

I'm a Glenlivet man myself.

Nothing to big deal with how I drink it. Little ice and that's about it.
Tastes good and relatively well priced.

My only advice is don't buy into the BS, hype or fanboyism. Find what you like and drink that. If it is cheap or "not the right brand" or not being drank in the right way who gives a fuck? Drink what you want how you like it. No need for special glasses or rituals.

Just stay away from JonnieWalker. Dat shit is expensive and kinda meh

Also take a look at mixed drinks. I'm quite a fan of the Rusty Nail myself.

2 Likes

Yep, Sometimes you can find them for a steal at the grocery store or local liquor. I've paid $30 for a Glenlivet 12 a couple times over the years.

1 Like

I believe you know the difference between Jack Daniels and straight up bourbon...

If you drink Good Whisky, don't drink with a cigar. The cigar will mask all taste.

I drink by the rule "Drink what you like, however you like it."

1 Like

Single Malt Scotch is the most difficult to get right and it is the most glorious when it is right. When it isn't right, it can be blended with other whiskey to soften the rough edges. Properly blended whiskey can be quite good and is generally less expensive than a good single malt.

The water used in the distilling process has a huge effect on the end product, so you will often see Scotch grouped together by their water source/location of the distillery, such as Lowland, Highland and Speyside.

I like The Glenlivet and, being a rather popular Scotch, nearly any bar, or fine restaurant will typically have it on hand. It's a good bet for when I'm out and about.

MacAllen is also pretty solid and worth a try.

I really like Laphroaig. CAUTION: Laphroaig is very peaty and, therefore, it is very much an acquired taste. Give it a go at a bar first before buying a bottle, as you may very well hate it. Lots of people will hate it, but that's OK, it doesn't make them bad people.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is a particular favorite of mine and it is not nearly as peaty as it's more famous (infamous?) sibling.

I always keep a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh around for special occasions. : )

1 Like

As a former smoker - 3 months after I quit smoking my tongue finally started to send some different signals to my brain. Now my food tastes different, my coffee tastes different, damn, the water tastes different now...
The whisky - pfff... Don't smoke, kids...

1 Like

there are a lot of glens, trust me.

1 Like

Considering the price/taste ratio, my wife and I enjoy the 15y Glenfiddich:

1 Like

Isn't 15 supposed to be green? Was the 12 green?

sorry for the off-topic

12y -> green
15y -> red
18< -> brown(ish)

1 Like

This:

Its expensive though, bout 110 a bottle. This is cheaper at about 35 euro:

Many members of this forum will be familiar with the electronics youtube channel bigclivedotcom
well his brother has a whisky review channel called ralfystuff

there are over 600 reviews, I'm sure you'll find something you like the sound of

2 Likes