So I started making a bot for the IRC channel. I know back in the day there was that "syndibot" but it seems to have disappeared, and it was in python which I am not so skilled in.
Here's what the bot can do so far:
- greet people when they greet the room
- show a list of the latest videos
- tell everyone when a new video is released (I'm not sure if this works properly)
- tell you the latest video when you ask it (this doesn't quite show the latest)
What I want it to do:
- print out tweets of Tek Syndicate staff live
- show the title of Youtube links posted
- give wiki links when you say wiki me
- be aware of the different Youtube channels (i.e. tekbot, whats the latest linux/enterprise/inbox video?)
- print out notification when any of the Tek Syndicate staff start streaming on Twitch
- print a link to a new site article when it is published
I'm sure you guys can think of some more features we can implement. There does need to be a new name as tekbot and syndibot are already registered on freenode.
If you want to help, let me know your username on Github and I will add you with collaborator access. I have a Digital Ocean VPS voucher that I was going to use to run the IRC bot from, this could give us a centralized location to have the code pushed to and the bot restarted whenever there is a change to the Github repo.
If we pull this off well, it will be like Tek Syndicates own little personal assistant and hopefully draw more people into the IRC channel (it's pretty empty in there). And hopefully the staff will ditch the Youtube live stream chat swill and use IRC when streaming instead.