Any ideas for 1440p 60fps ultra

I really like my r9 fury but I need more VRAM play stuff like Total Warhammer and bf1 and stelaris

Hard to find at the moment though for a reasonable price.

The GPU market is quite shitty atm. A used 980 Ti is also a decent option

1 Like

Used market is fucked too right now.

People hear “miners are snapping upcards faster than they can be produced” they assume that means their gtx 670 is worth selling at $100

1 Like

My 980 Ti is still going strong on my Acer X34 but I assume they’re also fetching a decent price 2nd hand.

Just looked at OCUK and yep barely a £20-40 difference between a 1070/1080 so why would you buy a 1070 (for gaming) assuming you want to pay that much of course. I’m surprised they have 1070 in stock not many but some.

if you can put a 980 Ti on water you can get it within 5% of a 1080 anyway without much trouble

bought up a ton of them on the 10 series launch for cheap as hell and threw waterblocks on them for my friends

If you are not in a hurry, you could wait to see how Vega performs. Even though I doubt it will obliterate Nvidia, I think AMD will offer a decent GPU for a decent price. So, my advice would be to wait a week or two, before making a decision.

2 Likes

MSRP announced at $499 for cheapest reference model (targeting 1070 perf,) and that’s instantly going to inflate because of miners.

The “wait for vega” meme only makes sense if you want to get into machine learning atm.

Missed that a MSRP has already been announced; I’d still wait for reviews and such though.

I’m not saying it’s a bad card, I’m saying it’s guaranteed to be fucked up on the pricing end of things the day of the soft launch.

Mining programmers bought up the FE cards to test hashing on, and the things are absolute monsters at Zcash and Ethereum. They punch way over their weight on most algos. Once we get an HBM/HBCC optimized OCL kernel in the mix, we’re talking nuclear amounts of demand from GPU farms.

If all he needs is 1440 a sidegrade to a 980 Ti is probably by and large the most cost efficient answer to his problem in the current market.

I just saw a GTX 660 for $100 on ebay. Its time to clean out the closet LOL!!!

1 Like

Really doubt any are gonna get bought up; only reason new cards are scarce is because of mining. Kepler and Mid-Low end GCN/maxwell are garbage at mining, so no one in the market for mining cards wants them.

I know that, but it never hurts. Like they say “a sucker is born every second”, besides its not like they are doing anything but collecting dust sitting on a shelf in the closet anyway. Might as well see what I can get for them.

You’re not wrong, just hedge your expectations. You can get away with 10% over reserve prices and get a guaranteed sale in the current market, but much higher and it’s gonna stay on that shelf

1 Like

Hopefully the mining currency drops soon

Yeah I’m not one of the guys to pay a premium for an extra single digit increase in performance. Thanks I’ll give it some time and wait.

Yeah, this is one of the absolute worst times to buy a high end GPU, especially if you already have one.

Ultra is stupid, drop down to high and you’re fine.

That is incorrect. The 1070 equivalent is Vega 56 and that card is targeting 399,-.

Ah, you’re right, typo.

Still, the hashing performance of Vega pretty much dooms it to massive MSRP inflation at launch.

Best case scenario those larger miners drop their 1070’s after buying the vega samples up and we have cheap cards on the used market again, but given how eager dumb hobbyists are right now, I wouldn’t expect a surplus of anything newer than a 280X to last.