Any good laptops around 100$? Maybe up to 200$

What do you think is the best laptop available for about 100$ (can probably stretch to 200 if it turns out it's too much to ask)? It doesn't need to be amazing or anything, just capable of serving as a typewriter and web browser.
Probably, the most important part will be the battery. I won't be doing anything too demanding on it, I'll be mostly writing and browsing the web, watching Netflix, maybe playing some DOS games or some light Nintendo emulators.
I don't really care about the preinstalled OS, I'll just install Linux on it when I get it.
It could be a netbook or an Ultrabook, something not larger than 13". I really like the appearance of those MacBook air inspired ultrabooks
I have looked at some on Amazon but they all look kinda sketchy. I was hoping some of you would know of one that isn't absolute trash.

Thanks

1 Like

Depends. Are you look for something new out the box or are you OK with looking at second hand stuff?

For example I picked up a HP Elitebook but an older model with an i7, 4GB RAM and a 320 GB HDD for £150 (not sure exact conversion to dollars off top of my head) then threw an SSD in and Installed Ubuntu on it for another £65 though the HDD probably would have been fine I just like SSDs. So £215 total and this little machine is more than I could ever need from a laptop.

My point is you can get a lot for your money if you don't mind buying slightly older refurb machines as long as your careful and pick one that has a warranty/return period encase its DOA.

7 Likes

Pretty close to as good as it gets for $200-ish. It's not much bigger than a true 13" due to the slim bezel.

And what you can realistically get for around $100.

If you're considering only new laptops then good luck. :P

5 Likes

I have looked into some used machines.
@Fouquin That Dell Vostro seems nice.
But the used machines I find usually seem too bulky or too crappy.
I was looking more into stuff like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LT692RK/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=2W4CZHAVW1922&coliid=I2F91Z6AA6CA&vs=1
With a 128GB micro SD card

Or this one that
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K9HS4Q0/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_4?colid=2W4CZHAVW1922&coliid=IR4V5B6LLXQ8P

Or this one that actually has some storage and is cheaper
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E7Q04KI/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_3?colid=2W4CZHAVW1922&coliid=I3IBE4J4FNG13R

What do you people think of these options?

The ASUS looks good, although all the machines you linked are low-power Braswell Atoms and Celerons... Which is certainly not considered performance in any capacity of the word. They're about a third of the performance of the i5 in the X1 Carbon.

Which kinda leads back to my recommendation. The X1 Carbon is really a strong machine despite being a few years old. It's a $1,200 machine built as such, where as your other options are $200 machines built to that spec. I really do suggest going with the Carbon just for the quality... Not even to mention the performance benefits for essentially the same money.

X1 Carbon physical specs:

Dimensions - 13.03" x 8.9" x 0.74" (331mm x 226mm x 20.85mm)

Weight - 3.4 lbs (1.55kg)

So it's only about half a pound heavier than the MacBook Air and roughly 3/4 inch larger. It really is a great fit if the Air is what you're basing your criteria.

I don't mean to seem like I'm pushing but seriously if you put those $200 laptops up against the X1 Carbon and do a specifications showdown it's just going to wipe the floor.

3 Likes

2nd edition of the Core 2 Duo Macbooks. Or, a macbook with a GT330M in it (which are about 250). I say macbooks because anything else at that quality is made in a stamp press and will die unless its a Pentium M / 3MMX god machine like an IBM 600X or an HP NW8000 which can both be had for around 15 dollars at a scrap yard.

I think the best laptops are the ones people fuck up, you fix, and sell for profit to get the laptop of your dreams. Mine at the moment is an up-to-date macbook. I would honestly recommend scrapping shit, selling the useable bits, then buying the laptop you want. Save a pot, go for it later.

Or be a dumbass and buy a chromebook.

1 Like

Why the hate for a Chromebook that is a solid recommendation for what @holbot was asking for, good for browsing the internet and as a typewriter. I'd advise looking for a second hand laptop and budget to put in a 128Gb ssd with your favourite version of Linux will do the job easily plus plenty more of you need it to. Failing that a Chromebook. I just couldn't recommend a Mac for this purpose, they are expensive and if something went wrong you would have to throw it away as repair would be uneconomical, unlike an older laptop. Just my opinion, all suggestions are a compromise it's just which compromise @holbot is willing to make.

2 Likes

I have two drawers full of T400s with Core 2 Duos. I've got one running Linux Mint and it's a great machine for taking notes. They're solid business-grade laptops that can be had for wayyyyy under $100.

2 Likes

I myself own a T430 that was recycled, and honestly, it has been a great business machine for trying/testing out Linux distros and the occasional on-site visit I need to perform for work. Top notch machines hands down.

• AK
1 Like

only replies you'll get will be a flood of thinkpads. (not that that's a bad thing)

3 Likes

I guess im gonna join the list and suggest another Thinkpad, being the X220/X201. Its slightly smaller than 13.3", and will perform so much better than those complete shit $200 laptops that you showed us.

Honestly, you'd be an idiot to get one of those $200 brand new laptops. They're gonna last like 6 months, and be as slow as a netbook from 8 years ago. Take everyone's advice here, and get something like a used Thinkpad, heck, even that awesome X1 carbon linked slightly above, @holbot . We have no reason to lie to you.

2 Likes

I second the X220s. I have the X220 tablet and this thing is a fast little machine for what I paid, along with the added perk of being a Cintiq killer. Sure, IBM didn't make them, but they've still got the magnesium frame and the keyboard. Still as rock-solid as ever.

@holbot whatever you end up buying, at least go by the recommendation that you buy a business-grade laptop. Consumer-grade machines are built to the absolute cheapest standards possible with the expectation that the consumer will just buy another one if it breaks. Business-grade machines have to last for years on end in industrial environments.

3 Likes

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-10.1-Tablet-16GB-Quad-Core-Bonus-Keyboard-Case/38693695

Got this 2 years ago and it has been insanely usefull.
My wife's died soon after purchase however so quality is spotty. Of course her Nexus 6 did not last long either.

One time when the internet died I took my wife to the local Sheetz(free wi-fi), put it on the car's dash, and watched The Blacklist on Netflix.

I have beat the crap out of mine and it just won't die, and the cortex a9 is plenty fast and will handle 9 tabs or so in Opera.
I must reiterate that I may have gotten lucky so you may wish to look at a better brand name one. I know it is not a laptop but with the folio case w/keyboard it is just as usefull

1 Like

I landed an HP probook from a local pawn shop that was in a state of disrepair for $70, it needed a new HD and the wireless was burned out but that was only another $70 for parts and I had a relatively decent computer for $140 and some of my time.

2 Likes

Thanks
I looked at some more laptops and I figured it would be better not to buy anything. I can manage with what I have.
I think this desire to buy a new laptop is kind of compulsive and unnecessary.
But thanks for your suggestions anyway.

3 Likes

Sometimes that's the best option, just put the wallet away and stick with the stuff you have.

Keep in mind though the advice given in most of these replies. The really swanky new laptops of today become affordable powerhouses in only a few years on the used market. Sometimes it's financially strategic to stay behind the curve a bit.

2 Likes

Hello there @Allstockin welcome to the forum.

You should know that posting in a thread 1 year after the last post is considered a necro unless your comments gives a new possibility for a civilized discussion. However your post seems to be a self promotion.

Self promotion on the forum actually is allowed if you are a long time user or your product is something innovating. Also it seems like your account was made just to post this message could you please proof you are not a bot that registered to the site for your site promotion.

2 Likes

What is a good price for the the x220? I’d like one as well.

Based on prices in my country - between 170$ and 225$ depends mainly on if its with an SSD and Extended battery.
However stuff in USA are way cheaper so I would guess between 100$ and 150$.

2 Likes

X220 is a decent way to go but you’re relegated to dual-cores since I believe on the X series the processors are all soldered. If you need something reasonably small then that’s fine, but if you’re ok with going to a 14" Thinkpad, a T420 or T430 is a better option because down the road you can upgrade to quad-core processors should such madness ever take you (It has for me). You can cram some serious performance into these ancient laptops for practically nothing.

2 Likes