Any good 25Gb SFP28 (or better) PCIe cards for PC?

Which Mikrotik? My CRS309’s have no fans, the big heatsink doesn’t even get warm with 10GBASE-SR modules in all the ports.

ok meanwhile there are quiet 10GB switches. When I bought my Zyxel 1930, that was still a problem, let it be almost two years ago. 10GB is now coming more and more on desktop boards, so there are also switches for, which are usable at home. However, the market for 25GB/ office/home desktop switches does not exist, this is a niche and will remain so in the next 10 years.

I have the UniFi 32-port SFP+ 10Gb switch which also has four 25Gb SFP28 ports.

1 Like

Have you tried RJ45 modules like MikroTik S+RJ10? I tried them out in smaller CRS305-1G-4S+IN and it was unworkable solution.

Module had to kept on even spacing to not overwhelm the switch cooling (official guidance) and even then module idle temperature was around 85-90°C.

Only way to keep that setup running beyond few minutes would be forced air or air conditioning, which defeats the purpose.

Optics would be fine, but I cant pull new optical drops at home :frowning:

10GTek 10GbE RJ45 SFP+ modules rated for 80m run slightly cooler(~5°C cooler) than the 35m rated ones from my experience.

No temperature readout on 10GTek modules so I took readings of the external case using a K type thermoprobe; chip temp is probably higher, but external case temps read around 50°C+ to 60°C (ambient ~28°C) for the 80m module.

I also don’t run more than 1* 10GbE RJ45 module, so if you have multiples of them in the same switch it’s probably not gonna work very well due to the heat output…

Yes, I still have some machines connected using those modules, but current only on 1G. At 10G the modules got hot but the switch didn’t, ran for about 6 months with no issues before I redid the network with OM4 fiber and swapped to SR modules.

I believe there’s two revisions of the Miktotik S+RJ10 - the newer one runs cooler, but I didn’t find any measurements.

Dual 10gb SFP w/ 8x PCIe 3.0 on a 16x slot in a M720Q, I expect this will be more than enough bandwidth for such a little PC.

1 Like

Have you considered a PCIe flexible expansion cable for the NIC card. Will give you fan clearance for a 4090 and you can side-mount your NIC card out of the way.

Wouldn’t recommend it for the video card, but in this case would seem to be a solution for you.

I switched to UniFi 10Gb SFP+ modules. They have 2 models. One is 1/10, the other is 1/2.5/5/10 like the MikroTik ones.

The MikroTik ones get really hot; so hot they burned my hand. After switching to the larger UniFi 32-port SFP+ switch (which has 4 fans), I haven’t had issues, but I also spaced them out too.

The UniFi ones don’t get even close to as hot.

My direct-attach-fiber SFP modules have always been cool to touch.

Do you have any links to videos or images of someone using this?

I actually had this same idea, but I don’t know how I’d put this in my case.

I have the Lian-Li O11D XL (pc-o11d-rog). They have their own side-mount, but it’d touch the GPU because it’s meant to replace all PCIe ports.

I got the card today and put it in the x16 slot (running at x8 speeds).

I created a separate thread since I couldn’t figure out how to update the firmware and am not sure which package installs the drivers for Windows:

Seen it used repeatedly on JayzTwoCents video channel.

Never done this myself as I have lots of room in my case, but it seems to do the job.

1 Like

This takes up all the expansion slots, so it wouldn’t work for me. These side-mount systems are all-or-nothing.

I ended up removing the second GPU and moving the NIC down there instead. It’s low enough now that it’s no longer an issue.

ConnectX4s are cheapish these days. I just bought 2 within the past 6 months. I’m only using them for 10 Gig but they are actually faster then the Intel X520s they replaced even at those speeds.

1 Like

I bough a XXV710-DA1 card to fit into a x4 pci-e slot on my motherboard. It was the only available very bottom slot. Took a change if it will work, since card itself is x8, and it did. There is another version of this card XXV710-DA2 with two SFP28 slots with same 8x pci-e connector. So I figured, XXV710-DA1 must just use x4 lanes. Works perfect under Windows or ESXi.
Here is an eBay link: XXV710-DA1 XXV710DA1 INTEL XXV710 1-PORT 25GB SFP28 PCIE NETWORK ADAPTER | eBay

Mellanox CX4121A IBM 01GR253 Dual-Port SFP28 PCIe x8 3.0 25GbE Adapter FP

i bought this one of Ebay and it works just fine in my Unraid server.

I use one Port for my own LAN and one Port for my Grandparents LAN for PLEX