Dropping out of college and going for certs? crippling derperssion

Degrees are for the sole purpose to weed people of the process since companies don’t want to waste time searching for good dedicated employees.

certs will , solely, not get you the job, at least in the IT field. Maybe consider a trade school? Many place will auto-reject for having anything less than a bachelors.

Certs should be used to enhance your resume in conjunction with a degree, if you really want to stand out from the crowd. However, they can be quite expensive so only get them when relevant.

If you want to get a good job, you will need to network. All the good jobs with fair pay and decent hours are very hard to get and quite often its “who you know” to get you in the door, provided you at least meet their criteria.

Firts i really apreciate your support.

reasonably accomplishable, got a couple g’s

sadly might actually be easier

Exactly
you have no idea how clumsy fucking retarded they are… the kind that demonize things they cannot comprehend bitcoin is lucifer.

definitely networking… but if i have to start off in a shop charging people to teach them how to attach a file to a webclient email… i guess well whatever. i felt sick doing that at a shop.

DrunkbyDefault you have to motivate yourself. This world will quite often do you no favors. Now like someone else said it often is who you know that helps. Also quite frankly you can take a break from education and go back to it. Nowhere does it say you can’t learn at any point in time in life. In regards to your parents it sounds like they are a cancer to you and so with you admittedly having disabilities of some sort I assume you can get on some sort of assistance and also get a part time job and live on your own and sort things out and then get back into school. In regards to certification it only matters if it comes from a recognized institution. Anyway best of luck.

If networking is your thing then koodos to you dude. I dont want to put you down, i just want to give genuine advice.

Keep your networking goal in mind and use it as the motivation to gtfo from that household by any means necassary. Rooming with strangers, living with friend, going homeless, or even random tbus/train/plane to anywhere, ill leave that up to you, but right now your biggest mountain is the household. Do that first and the rest will become much easier after.

@IBMods is right, you can always go back to school later. If your parents are putting you down then theyve gotta go. Its possible that your schooling isnt going well because of their helicopter attitude. Maybe you’ll do better once you’ve got no stress on your back.

Basically

1. get out of the house. I cant stress enough how important this step is
  2. establish at least a basic independent life that ensures parents have 0 control over it
  3. start working on both self-training, on certs, and on getting some sort of position, even if its unpaid. the employer reference will be extremely beneficial. Volunteer, look into other countries, find your own hustle and go with it
  4. once youve done enough of that and you feel ready, try applying to actual jobs. Cast a very wide net. hour travel? no problem. new city? move if its worth it. new country? same deal. Do what you must as long as its yourself doing it and not someone else
  5. ???
  6. eventually profit one way or another

everything else you’ll figure out along the way.

Take this advice with a grain of salt as always, everyones hustle is unique

for real…
its definitely difficult to make friends when they track your phone calls and location and call those numbers.

even rooted my phone… but the locator uses cell tower triangulation

holy fuck thats an understatement…

ever get crippling depression to the point where you pass that state of crying, loose interest in everything (anhedonia, lifelong dysphoria) and the feeling gets so intense you start choking internally? after that you pretty much lose your sense of self, cannot physically move your body because your mind is so dissociative (any minor feeling of content triggers you). most people with major depression commit suicide after 3 months let alone a recognizable lifetime…

Here might be your doorway. give it a shot

1 Like

better pack my bags and sachel them up to my 50cc honda ruckus. cant go far without a fucking license plate in CT. and no insurance… and dying brakes, and pancaked tread

whatever it takes man, ill let you figure out a way out. Dont need to travel far really, just enough where they cant come and mess things up

1 Like

they will literally call the cops claim im schizo suicidal and put a missing person alert nationwide.
no joke
its fucking insane.

i tried getting laid one time and my dad would just stare at my gf with holloweyes -he would get drunk intentionally just so he couldnt drive and id sit right where i am now and stare at the wall

at that point ill just throw acid on my face to burn the skin so i dont look like me

irl elliot alderson

talk to the cops about that and see if you can tell them about your situation and see if they can help you somehow, maybe let them know to ignore any missing persons requests filed by your parents. You can look into restraining orders as well though this may be costly.

Im no expert on these and i live outside usa so take my advice with some salt. ive thankfully never had to do these but i’d imagine at least one of these should do something

If youre over 18 you can voluntarily leave and if they find you, you can just tell them you willfully left an abusive household and will not return.

Once youre legally an adult and you leave the household, they really cant do much about it. Once you leave you technically have no reason to ever look back or interact with them ever again

i wish i did this years ago…

my midterm was due at 12am so this decision is definite now.

never too late my dude. Just pack your shit, get all your cash, documents and valuables, get some cheapo laptop off craigslist that your parents havemnt touched and then just walk out in the middle of the night and never look back.

Only thing stopping you is yourself

As shitty as USA might be, the thing its good at is letting people build their own life. Take advantage of that, youve got a massive country to find a new home

fucking have my passport, birth certificate and social security card.
my check goes into a bank account with his name on it

https://www.usa.gov/replace-vital-documents you can replace those documents if need be. Take them in the middle of the night if you must.

For bank, talk to your employer or whoever is giving the check. open a new account under your name and tell them to deposit it there instead

just…
JUST…

hi 911 my parents are the government in the book 1984

Either way you know your own situation best, so itll be up to you to figure out how to get out.

All ill say is that it probably wont get better unless you find a way out.

Best of luck with it man

Yeah, get out of there first. If you have some money, you can do it.

When I was younger, I worked at a call center between college courses. They were always hiring, and they paid well over minimum wage. One day I came in late and they didn’t have a station for me and told me to go home. I saw that IT was deploying new stations. I told them I could crimp RJ45 and RJ11 and I worked the whole night with IT wiring up the new workstations. I was working a summer during college, but they told me they would have put me full time on the spot if I hadn’t been seasonal part-time.

So based on my personal experienct, my advice is:

Find an entry level job (call center/level 1 tech support are good options) and then try to get into a situation where you can sustain yourself. Jump at any opportunity to show your worth. Once you feel relatively stable, look into things like certifications. If you’re good with network stuff, a CCNA can be less than a year away if not sooner. A friend of mine got a job at Amazon (AWS) after just 2 years as an entry-level network tech at a small business. Now he has guaranteed over $100k of Amazon stock after 2 years there.

I know you feel totally fucked now, but you can turn it around. I’ve seen it happen many times.

If my parents were to do that, I would probably go nuclear on them.

As others have told you allready, get the hell out of there!
Best of Luck to you!