Anti-EDM Stance?

I like anything that sounds good to me, and respect others' decision if they think something sounds good to them

OH! Also Lukas Nelson and The Promise of the Real are AMAZING!

I get what you're saying. I remember when I first started writing music, I got shot down for writing guitar melodies that were not in key. Now, I completely understand. Just about anything sounds better in key and following the rules. I would argue that there is a lot of science and math in music. I know it is isn't the be all and end all of arguments but: there is a reason it is taught at university level. Following the teachings and expressing yourself within that, is a beautiful thing.

Edit: to make my point of view a little fairer, there are many artists from many genres of music that could use a good boink of the head with a theory book.

Sure is a lot of science and math in music probably why a bunch of us here are so much into both. It generally sounds better to us in key because the scales are fractal in nature; we are fractal beings. Still though there would be no reason for notating sharps and flats out of key as in accidentals. Accidentals occur in a lot of jazz music. Does this mean jazz music sucks? Most likely not.

Improvisation, using overlapping scales, or even producing something that has a psychodelic theme isn't accidental. It is very deliberate, and it works. That is far flung from someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

I think it does go past the point where you look back on your old self and think "did I really think I was good?". I've listened to songs I composed years ago, that lacked anything academic. People can listen to out of key music, I don't know what to call it, but it's not for me.

I do have a diverse taste in music, so don't confuse anything. I am not bashing any particular genre :)

I am struggling to sum this up. I have had friends that didn't have a clue. Tried to give them a few pointers, without being mean. They would always throw it back in my face, give me the "music is about freedom" speech. They look back, having taught themselves how to write music, and realise what I had been saying.

It's not wrong, but it's not right. Not trying to sound like a "know it all". But, there is a line somewhere.

Edit: I hope that you don't think I am merely dismissing your argument, it can hold true. I just know what I prefer, if that makes sense?

Sure it's preference; but jazz sounds really good to me and there are tons of acidentals throughout, I can't explain why I like the accidentals but I do...Maybe because it is more organic? There are techniques for programming on a Roland drum machine that actually push notes out of time a tiny bit to make it sound more organic. Those little bitty "mistakes" can really add a certain depth to the music, Instead of being perfectly quantized.

I like many sounds like CFTPA, ATDI, NMH, MCD, TMV, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, and The Olivia Tremor Control. However, I have been an big[metal]headed person since ~4 year old.

I know what you mean. Though, I wouldn't call them mistakes. I do understand. I do like syncopated music, when people play in odd meters. You can often distinguish between different players by their own personal techniques. Midi drum sequences, computer inputs, do not sound as good as a skilled human player. It has that personal element to it. I think organic is a good word.

Same with dissonance. It is a bad thing, unless you know how to use it properly. So, I think we can definitely agree that you can break the rules. We both know that you have to use your ears, ultimately.

Even if someone lacks knowledge in music. If they produce something, I have to conceed that it would be called "music". It is an art, if we follow the dictionary definitions. So, I have to say that you are right in that sense. But, I will stand with my point that a little bit of theory will sound better than none at all.

who gives a fuck about what people listen to, if they like it let them listen, if you dont, simply don't listen

I would consider myself a metalhead, but I enjoy a lot of drum and bass and IDM. Flamewars are unnecessary. 

It's just a form of fanaticism. There are people in every "community" for anything that has a following that has this absurd devotion to whatever they like so they end up turning into assholes which makes the people they attack think that other people in that group or community are assholes. Just best to avoid them like the plague because convincing them that whatever you like is on equal terms is just a complete waste of time. Cause to them metal will always be the superior form of music until they become rational again. Them becoming rational again requires a huge step on their part to realize things like mutual respect and that maybe there is other music to listen to than metal.

also skrillex (not techno tho)

Any discrepancies I've heard from metalheads usually go away when I show them artists like TERRORFAKT or Dj Ophidian. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjeLOPEC7hs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=worZb2San64

Most commonly known EDM doesn't have that hard adrenaline spiking feel that metalheads want. 

Why are we reviving a 6 month old... Eh hell. I like all music except gangster rap and POP. When I say POP I mean those that are designed to be pop music not the ones that become it by being Popular.

I used to be one of those metal heads when I was young, only wanted to listen to stuff performed by a band everything else be damned but when I started really getting into playing music my mind opened up to beyond what I considered trve. point is, I was just a teenage black metal fanatic which I grew out of. Encountered just as many morons who tell me that what I listen to is just noise and shouting, and that anyone can do it (coming from the same people who "just listen for the beat" PAH!). I think its just part of the reaction to when you feel your musical preference is threatened or looked down on. 

Although lot of my friends grew out of listening to metal.
Fuck that. 

Phuture Doom and Seven Lions are two great EDM acts that draw heavily from metal.

http://youtu.be/sTjcPLWW2M0

http://youtu.be/Whf0iheP2GU

why do EDM people say metal is for kids? simple i don't like it because a hipster with a macbook pro makes it

Metalheads love hanging out and headbanging in concerts in open air - EDM people love dancing in overly loud,overly crowded clubs with flashing lights.

Metalheads love musicianship with guitars,drums,vocals,etc. - EDM is done mostly on computers and %99.9 of EDM vocals are weak.

Metal songs usually have a song structure - EDM songs usually don't have a song structure

This list can go on but you get my point.EDM is very different from Metal.Thats why some metalheads are hateful and dismissive about EDM.

I consider myself a metalhead and i don't like most of the EDM songs i listen to,i find some of them good.I have nothing against people who like EDM,its a matter of taste.

I'm a BIG metal head, own 12 guitars.  Play live shows, did my time with guitar, competed in national classical competitions and have lived and breathed metal since i was 5 years old listening to iron maiden in my dads car.  Metal heads that talk shit about EDM or other music are just fanboys with no real love for music.  Personally i'm not a fan of pop music but every now and then some sounds really good to me.

A real music lover will enjoy music that they understand has some genius behind it.  It doesn't matter if it's John Denver, Adele, Jimi Hendrix, Yngwie Malmsteen, Metallica, A7x, Deadmau5, Aphex Twin, Beastie Boys or whatever the music is.  If it takes real talent and some sort of dedication, it's definitely worth it and it's good music to listen to.

Having a bias towards certain music is only deteriorating from your enjoyment of music. I'm not too fond of rap because lots of shit comes out but that rule applies to every genre of music,  If i hear some biggie or Run DMC or some classic Dr.Dre ill sit and listen to it because it's genuine, serious and took lots of time to really build something instead of something like Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga where they talk a lot of shit and barely produce real music but something that just sounds good to the ear, very big difference when it comes to musicianship, people should look at that over anything.

Though, you may find me wrong, but hey...that's why there is variety.