Antergos & KDE Plasma as a daily driver

I've been testing Antergos in a VM and I also have it running on a couple of machines at home (however I don't use them as daily drivers.) I've been running Mint with Cinnamon at work for a little over a year now. However due to some weird issues that I can't seem to get to the bottom of and wanting to get on the Arch bandwagon, and like that Antergos makes it easier to get things up and running. Since this is my work machine I don't have the time to build a full install of Arch just yet.

My main questions are these: are any of you guys (and gals) running Antergos as your daily driver? If so, are their any pitfalls that I need to be aware of? Also it looks like the newest release has finally updated to KDE Plasma, I've only heard good things about Plasma so far, however what has been your experiences if you're running it?

I am running Antergros on both my laptop and my desktop.

I prefer budgie more than kde, but budgie doesn't have a four corner window snap, so that can be annoying at times. I find Kde to be a bit more messy than budgie

As for pitfalls, make sure you switch the Display Manager to Gdm or anything other than Light DM. I have found that Light DM breaks pretty easily

I used to run Antergos + KDE Plasma as daily.

Rock solid. Not much you can do to break it if using it on a modern system.
Nvidia drivers + KDE plasma may sometimes lead to funky stuff with onhover infotext glitching.
And VERY featureful compared to anything else out there.

Manjaro + KDE is also great.

Even more stable is Fedora 26 + KDE Plasma right now.

Almost forgot....

The Cnchi installer as used by Antergos is an ABSOLUTE BROKEN PIECE OF VERKACKTE SCHEISSE!

1 Like

Antergos is probably the only Arch based distro that gives me problems in some form of fashion whether, hardware isn't detected or Wi-Fi being broken.

Manjaro works better out the box. as for Antergos vs Manjaro. there is no difference they are basically the same thing. Manjaro just works better out the box.

I can honestly say I haven't messed with Manjaro. I think I'll have to give that a spin, if for nothing else than to see how the install process differs since it's basically Arch under the hood anyway.

the install process is the same. it comes with an installer.

HOWEVER if you want to make it your mission to use Arch. I've made a tutorial that is still somewhat relevant a while back.

try manjaro first, the manjaro customizations to KDE make it a lot more organized than the Antergos version.
If Manjaro does not work(as in the installer does not boot), try Antergos

My machines are on the reverse of your situation, literally manjaro would not even boot to the live cd. Weirdly enough, antergos compatibility worked better than manjaro

When I was first trying to install arch, I tried to start with Manjaro, but the live cd did not work at all. Luckily the antergos enviorment booted and had no issues with wifi

I just finished installing Manjaro in a VM and I have to say the installer felt a little easier than Antergos. I like the way this looks so far. I'm going to beat on the VM for a day or two before moving forward. However so far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

1 Like

Just some things to look over.

They're old, but useful.

I've been using Antergos with KDE for about 8 months on two desktops. I've had only one issue and it effected both computers simultaneously. About 2 months ago there was an issue where updates started failing siting an issue with antergos keyring. It turned out there was issues with the certificates and it was fixed by a quick visit to the support page. The Antergos folks were really good a nailing down the issue and putting out the proper solutions. I use some programs from the AUR and every once and a while you may have to clean out unused packages that were needed only for installing something from AUR before you can get your updates to complete without issue. I haven't used Linux since back in mandriva days and found Antergos to be the ideal return to Linux distro for me. I didn't know what to expect from rolling releases and Arch in general but after having spent some time with Antergos and ArchWiki I have no reservations recommending it.