Another former console user needs build avdice

So here is my situation. I want to build a new PC mostly for gaming but also for music production. Finding the right CPU is something I can't really make up my mind about. I am leaning towards the i5 3750k right now knowing it's great for gaming and I also know it's good for Reason, the music software I use. But I don't want to have any regrets. I'm starting a new job soon so it seems like I can even afford to step up to an i7 potentially. I'm not so sure about AMD.

I'm planning to spend around $1500. One of my main concerns is noise, need to keep the rig as quiet as possible. I think I found the perfect case, the Fractel Define R4. And I really like the look and features of the Sabertooth z77 mobo, and thinking I'll get 32G's of RAM, maybe 16 at first well see. But I want reliability to be the most important thing here.

But I'm really lost when it comes to the GPU. seems like I need to spend around $300 for something that will be good for a few years, and I really have no idea what I'm looking for. Been looking at tons of benchmarks but that only proves most are pretty close in performance cept the very top/bottom of the line. I suppose I want the option to crossfire, but it's not a deal breaker or nothing.

And then fans and power supply are the other things I don't really know much about. I know I want quiet, reliability, and performance, but again I'm lost in all the options out there.

Overclocking? I don't think I really should have to do it, but it seems like it a popular thing for gamers to do. Is there really that much performance to be gained by doing it?

I think that about covers all my questions...Oh yeah I'm interested in running Linux along side Windows 8, but have no experience with Unbuntu, I guess I just need to see what games are compatable. I know Reason is not so thats why Windows is staying on for now. Guess what I want is opinions on what I have im mind and also suggestions on what else.

Hi, good to see that you've found the light side.

Have a look at this and let me know what you think. If you want windows 8, it'll be about another $100 extra. Ive only given you 8Gb of RAM as you probably wont need an more than that (gaming only really uses a max of about 4Gb). That powersupply is about average in terms of noise, but provides plently of juice and is really reliable. The GPU is one of the best value out at that price range i think. You could go NVIDIA (the other GPU manufacturer) if u wanted to, but i think the one that i have listed is probably the best value for what you want. Also, this motherboard is a bit cheaper and has all the features you would need and is oneof the most reliable on the market.

I thik you meant the 3570k for the CPU which is what i have listed and unless you aredoing stuff that requires some serious processing power, you wont need an i7. As for overclocking, its up to you. You wont really notice any difference in general use, and only a small difference in games but if you overclock, you can reduce render times by quite a bit if you are rendering stuff. If you wanted, you could get a basic watercooling kit if you wanted a quieter CPU cooler, but that would also be a bit more expensive (maybe another $80-$100.

Let me know what you think. :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KVRP

Hi, good to see that you've found the light side.

Have a look at this and let me know what you think. If you want windows 8, it'll be about another $100 extra. Ive only given you 8Gb of RAM as you probably wont need an more than that (gaming only really uses a max of about 4Gb). That powersupply is about average in terms of noise, but provides plently of juice and is really reliable. The GPU is one of the best value out at that price range i think. You could go NVIDIA (the other GPU manufacturer) if u wanted to, but i think the one that i have listed is probably the best value for what you want.

I thik you meant the 3570k for the CPU which is what i have listed and unless you aredoing stuff that requires some serious processing power, you wont need an i7. As for overclocking, its up to you. You wont really notice any difference in general use, and only a small difference in games but if you overclock, you can reduce render times by quite a bit if you are rendering stuff. If you wanted, you could get a basic watercooling kit if you wanted a quieter CPU cooler, but that would also be a bit more expensive (maybe another $80-$100.

Let me know what you think. :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

You forgot to copy the right address, so we don't have the build you are suggesting.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KdHT

I can't think of any particular reason that you would happen to NEED more than 8 GB of RAM, plus it is really easy to upgrade the RAM later. The rest of the build is fairly self-explanatory and gives you tons of performance features. I also didn't include windows because I don't like the idea of paying them to sell my info for me.

oops, fixed, sorry

Mndless' build is definitely more performance but its also $300 more. You might want somewhere in the middle such as using a 3570k but keeping the GTX680 instead of the 7950. Its up to you and depends on what you need really. We need a bit more information if you want u to really narrow it down.

About overclocking: A goodly deal of processors can actually clock to higher clock speeds running at voltages lower than stock. Most people just don't have the time or patience to find the chips "sweet spot" It's that zone where you get really high performance for the amount of energy it uses and the amount of heat it produces. Or you can go crazy and try to reach a maximum overclock. If you do go any overclock, you can expect anywhere from a 5-25% increase in CPU-related performance. It usually isn't particularly impressive, but it can be and it is "free" performance boosts. I say it that way because usually you have to spend an inordinate amount of money before you get a motherboard and processor that overclock well enough to be worth the risk.

Still an unreasonable build, but it gets you closer to what you asked for.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KW1f

Full 32 GB of RAM, a Graphics card that should manage the greater majority of games at between high and ultra settings at 1080p, depending on your filter selection. Although this board isn't exactly designed for overclocking, you would want to go through the BIOS to adjust the RAM back to its 2133 MHz XMP profile, this is very easily done though, so I wouldn't worry.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KW6P

Significantly cheaper, but it is still adequate with a bonkers amount of RAM... You could drop down to 16 GB of RAM using the same Viper 3 and save $118. The motherboard is really just a motherboard, it holds your components and gives you enough control over things to set your RAM back to its natively supported speed. It also happens to support Crossfire, or SLI.

why not a AMD FX8350 with a 7970 card, thats much better then a i7 build with 7950, and its cheaper?

and the 1155 socket is dead

Because the i7 is an amazing chip regardless of whether or not Intel intends to continue the LGA 1155 socket. And by that point, you'd probably want to upgrade most of the system anyway to get new connectors and standards etc. Although I do happen to like the AMD FX 8350, I still think there is room for improvement, and for at least the next generation of games, for the standard play, the i7 will still outperform it.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KZBY

Ok here is my current build. Thanks for the replies and advice.

My only concerns with this one is the RAM, I won't be able to upgrade to 32 but that Mushkin seems to have a slight performance over the Gskill. And is the PSU going to be alright at 600W?