Another booting problem, but with Manjaro

So I’ve encountered another boot loader problem, or maybe just a Manjaro problem. I installed Manjaro to a USB drive and updated grub, and now when I choose it in the grub menu it reboots and just freezes on the motherboard’s “MSI Grenade” logo. I tried a fresh install and everything, but it freezes like that every time. I know the install itself isn’t broken because it let me boot once from its own grub menu, but when I booted back to Mint and removed the USB and put it back in, Manjaro failed to boot again with the same result.

maybe a usb issue?

Like, what if the port gets reset and the drive is gone because of that?

I know my keyboards do get reset multiple times and probalby around the time you are describing.

No idea how to fix and diagnose that though.
Mybe ehci and xHci Handoff settings in the bios?

1 Like

I think it’s just a problem with the different boot loaders, but since it’s not messing up the actual computer’s boot loader I don’t mind manually booting via the command line, which works fine.

Could you explain that one?

If you are able to boot manually from the command line, then your need to update your uEFI and initramfs. If you include what you are doing when you are booting manually that helps. are you booting manually from the initram or by modifying your grub entry?

By default ArchLinux uses uEFI stub and you need to ensure that mkinicpio gets run after every kernel install or else you will not have the correct drivers to boot the initramfs.

I fixed the problem no worries,
I had installed it wrong.

2 Likes