Anime Culture Club

I like the way you think.
Variety is great no matter which way you slice it.
What would be a starter show that you would recommend? Something simple and easy to follow.

Yeah that’s cool. What would you prefer if the typical movies could do all the jazz and stuff? As in budgets weren’t an issue.
I know what anime is and don’t mind some of the artwork I’ve seen.

Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex are good ones to start with.

1 Like

I’d still prefer anime even if movies were limitless because I enjoy the art.

1 Like

Can I post hen tie here?

2 Likes

fuck there is the word simple.
Well there is Code Geass, Clannad and Made in Abyss (that last one you can watch it on Prime Video)
Not simple there would be Madoka Magica

Full metal alchemist. I reccomend watching the older version first then watch the newer version later on.

Hey! I have to learn to fart before pooping. I can’t just go swimming in … maybe I shouldn’t finish that thought.

I’ve heard of both of those. I’ll check them out thanks!

That’s another one I’ve heard about. I’ll add it to the list and give it a go. Cheers!

I started with Lucky Star and Angel Beats. Those are great anime to begin with imo.

I started watching anime by chance. It also so happened that I was burned out from all the re-reboots and sequels in western media. Anime gives a healthy dose of novel stuff in more than one way. Like different and diverse topics they cover. (Sure there seems to be a lot of your typical high-school stuff, yet even many of them manage to present it uniquely) As well as new art styles to explore. There’s also the whole thing that most anime is Japanese, so you can get a bit different perspective on some topics.

Really tho i stayed for hopes of finding myself one, true, kawaii waifu.

TL;DR; just watch a few that seem interesting to you, and let it consume you.

Welcome to the fold, I guess?
GIFs-charlotte-anime-39361274-500-281

EDIT:

On the topic about where to start. Personally I started with these two:

As I found out later, I am bit of a drama fan, so YMMV.

4 Likes

This depends on what you’re looking for. Action? Drama? Mystery? Comedy? Slice of life? Sci-fi? CGDCT? Romance?

Depending on your tastes the possible recommendations will vary greatly. As others have said, anime has seemingly infinite possibilities.

2 Likes

Any word on nekogirls IRL, yet? Asking for @anon11544174 ofc, not myself.

catgirl

3 Likes

Now I’m just confused.

3 Likes

Just to be clear, that’s one of the “inside” jokes of anime community. Please disregard. I promise we’re mostly normal. And there’s tons of normal anime as well.

@KoalaAteMySnack What genres are you into?

@TeckMonster image that’s a long reply :wink:

2 Likes

For me it’s the “feels”. I absolutely love it when a show tugs my heartstrings, and anime can do that so well time after time.

I always recommended Death Note (the anime series not the movie) for newcomers (mostly because it’s dubbed and on Netflix, which most people have access to one way or another). It’s easy enough to follow, and does a great job keeping you on the edge of your seat.
It’s one of my favorite series despite the second season.

There are lots of helpful sites in the OP including a variety of streaming services.
Use MyAnimeList.net to get a better idea of what you want to watch. Here’s a list of MAL’s highest rated anime.

On my phone.

2 Likes

Holy shit!

Seriously?!

I am so confused and disappointed right now lol.

Even if the teen drama is “necessary” in A Silent Voice, it’s still holding it back. It was an amazing show for me to give it and 8 despite despising teen drama.

1 Like

Confused about what?

People not sharing my opinions ofc. :smiley:

IMO 3-gatsu no Lion was a good show, and Koe no Katachi is a fucking masterpiece so there’s that.

But ratings don’t matter, anyways. :wink:

2 Likes

This, I don’t know why people are so hung up on sticking a number to things, it’s so vague.

4 Likes

Pretty much every Gintama is rates extrememly high. I won’t disagree that it’s decent as far as shounen trash goes, but it’s still mediocre at best.

2 Likes