Anime Culture Club

Is it just me or are light novels poorly written/translated? Is this something common with translations from Japanese to English or are the writers just not good (good ideas, bad execution)?

1 Like

seeing how the content is churned out i would go with good ideas but bad execution
can’t rule out translation though but i didn’t have any issue with NHK or any of the other japanese novels i have ( don’t have any light novels)

1 Like

The text on the cover of Overlord doesn’t read that bad at all, but the first few sentences don’t make me want to keep reading. And with ~19€ per book (granted, they’re hard cover) I don’t feel like paying that much for a nice cover and meh content.

Text from the back cover:

For twelve years, the virtual world of Yggdrasil has served as the playground and battlefield for the skeletal lord Momonga and his guild of fellow monsters, Ainz Ooal Gown. But the guild’s glory days are over, and the game is shutting down permanently. When Momonga logs in one last time just to be there when the servers go dark, something happens-and suddenly, fantasy is reality. A rogues’ gallery of fanatically devoted NPCs is ready to obey his every order, but the world Momonga now inhabits is not the one he remembers. The game may be over, but the epic tale of Ainz Ooal Gown is only beginning…

First few sentences of the book:

Before one girl and another even younger one stood a figure in full
plate armor brandishing a sword.
The blade swung, sparkling in the sunlight as if to say that taking
their lives in a single stroke would be an act of mercy.
The girl shut her eyes. She didn’t want to be biting her lower lip. She
just had no choice but to accept what was about to happen. If she had
even a little power, she probably would have been able to shove the
figure away and escape…

1 Like

Overlord is the only series that would be worth it, spend the money, forget all other series if they are like that.

Didn’t look at the comments till now and most of them are goblin slayer, huh wonder what started this if it was some other anime youtuber or people legit just thought of this song themselves.

I swear if youtube tries to link to my playlists when I try to share a single song one more god damn time

maybe its supposed to be one of those edgey japanese poems that don’t make sense in english, Tite Kubo loved to do that shit

such a god damn edge lord, i want him to make manga again

1 Like

With Goblin Slayer I understand it. It’s simple on purpose. I mean, the characters don’t even have proper names, they’re called by their professions.
But with Overlord it feels stupid. But the hype seems to have picked up and the shipping time is ~1-3 months for the first few volumes now here. Plus, the ~19€ pricetag.
The Monogatari series books have more pages, seems to be written much better (except for that shitty translation for “Platinum mad”) and are cheaper.

Not sure if I want to add another releasing series to my wallet (9 manga, 3 light novels already) or spend it on something bigger for once (like a better chair, better 2nd monitor, more HDDs, etc).

1 Like

Hentai

I suggest Dead Dead Demon’s Dededede Destruction base on these clips alone (yes the first one is a legit panel in this manga)

2 Likes

Sci-fi?

yup, there is an alien invasion that threatens the world but since it’s japan they still have to study for college entrance exams

AHHHhhh, I really want more edge lord manga, Kubo was so good at it

Not too keen on the whole sci-fi thing.

Bleachbot bite it slashuit? What does that mean?

Bleach 307
Bite it, Slash it

Eat my ass

No really wtf you talkin bout?

But it’s slice of life

series: Bleach
Chapter: 307
Title: Bite it, Slash it

What are we biting and what are we slashing?

it

1 Like