Just completed Trigun

Quick Review:

Story: 7.5/10
Characters: 8/10
Soundtrack: 9/10
Animation: 9/10

Overall: 8.5/10
Recommend: Hell Yeah!

Itā€™s as if Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop fused together on a desert planet or something. Absolutely killer first episode too!

2 Likes

yeah its widely considered a classic

now watch monster (the action really starts at part 5)

>.>

would probs give like 3~4/10 for story

based on how poorly they tied in at all the main story to whats happening in the series, the whole hes a plant not a human, second earth etc shit

that hes one of the oldest living beings on the planet but still immature as hell and willfully stupid etc. if they removed the flashback episode and edited/removed the episodes where he went back to the ship where them people are still living, could play it off like its just his bro is some badass crime lord or something, and basically have 90%+ of the series intact, while making the stuff happening more consequential as hes not some nearly omnipotent being

i mean how much do the travels with some insurance girls for weeks/months really matter when the existence of their society as a whole is like, some carnies setting up shop some random weekend to him

1 Like

Fair enough! It was my least favourite thing in the series to be honest.

Now that you raise the issue of him not maturing at all over 100 years is a good point haha although Vash being immature and naive is sort of ingrained in what makes him Vash. Still, I donā€™t think it detracted from the the overall experience of watching the show.

1 Like

mean id base that score on how well the story ties into everything else/how it wraps up etc

similarly cowboy bebop would have a lower score in this area, being if you said spikes story was the main one, its only in some of the series, but if you said it was more multifaceted in that, the background episodes and stuff are all main plot

its just more complicated/intertwining/switching back and forth between characters and stuff

so more like 6/10, being more episodic in nature compared to some other stuff thats more heavily main story driven

but in trigun feel they really dropped the ball when it comes to the whole plant/scifi stuff

him being immature idk, makes me feel like its just willful ignorance and stuff, being the end (havent seen movie so dunno), is like he finally grows up and punishes his little brother/take charge, but just mean of someone really old would think childish games could get old, but then maybe you just do random shit for entertainment, see what happens etc

but they never really explain much of anything about his motivations or whatever. i mean if people are specifically tracking you down and its an inconvenience why not just go into hiding/change your appearance, create an alias, skip town etc

if groups of people keep attacking you why not learn how to be good at stuff, like advanced tactics, psychology, warfare, tracking, investigation etc

would be like a version of dracula that just wants burgers and fries or something

not that it couldnt work/didnt have potential but for me was kinda nothing really there in substance to explain him bumbling around like an idiot, just wandering as if nothing in the world matters, he has no purpose/plan for anything

not that a being of many years couldnt have a period of time where thats what they wanna do, but that thats all they show, sort of feels like the tip of the iceberg but they never expanded

Anyone reading light novels? After progressively running out of anime to watch (and a certain disinterest, mainly due to impatience and being dissatisfied with the choices my preferred genres have to offer) I switched to reading manga. But now Iā€™m slowly running into the same problem as with anime. I like the art in manga, and a lot of the unofficial translations range from okay to terrible in terms of the translatorsā€™ English language skills. Is this an issue with light novels too? Does it get even worse? I mean, with manga itā€™s just a few sentences per page and a huge amount of ā€œah, I understand what they were trying to sayā€ comes from the drawings and context. But with light novels being text-onlyā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m currently reading:

This is also the first light novel I have ever read. It is very very badly translated (or at least itā€™s not very easy to translate in LN format as compared to a manga where you have more context as a translator) so a lot of times I struggle to know whoā€™s talking or whatā€™s going on, but I still find it enjoyable.

There is a lot that manga has to offer and about 3 years later of reading manga I have yet to run out of things to read, although I can understand your sentiment. I canā€™t say that much of the manga that Iā€™ve read has been badly translated but if youā€™re struggling to find something to fit your taste I can recommend some of my favorites.

These are manga that I wouldnā€™t call hidden gems but theyā€™re definitely ā€˜off the main roadā€™

^ This is regarded as the best manga of all time, and even if it doesnā€™t fall into your typical reading genreā€™s give it a read, I think everyone should.

^ Donā€™t let the art style fool you on these three manga. They are action packed and have very mature themes. The author is a genius.

^ Iā€™ve never seen the anime but I love this manga.

^ If youā€™re into really in depth ā€˜gameā€™ series (where they break down every move in a game, think insane levels of strategy) read this.

^ Very interesting take on the zombie formula.

^ short but very good.

These are just a few of the finished seriesā€™ Iā€™ve read but there are a ton more in serialization that I read from month to month.

1 Like

So Iā€™m a Spider, so what? is among the ongoing series that Iā€™m currently reading.
Golden Boy is kind of a classic and Iā€™ve watched the anime several years ago.

As for the othersā€¦Iā€™m really picky and a lot of what I watch/read depends on my mood but generally I tend to avoid series that include ā€œdramaā€ (from experience Iā€™d say a lot of those artificially prolong a series and add story parts that arenā€™t necessary - to me theyā€™re annoying).

Hereā€™s a list of the ongoing series that Iā€™m currently reading (including those that havenā€™t had new chapters in a while):

• Barakamon
  • D-Frag
  • DanMachi
  • Gaikotsu Kishi-sama
  • Goblin Slayer
  • Goblin Slayer Year One
  • Hataraku Maou-sama!
  • Horimiya
  • So Iā€™m a Spider, so what?
  • Made in Abyss
  • Overlord
  • Shokugeki no Soma
  • Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii
  • Yuru Camp
  • Ajin-chan wa Kataritai
  • Boku no Heya ga Dungeon no Kyuukeijo ni Natteshimatta Ken
  • Brawling Go (might drop that one)
  • Danchi Majo
  • Dead Coffee Shop
  • EG Maker
  • Elf-san wa Yaserarenai
  • Happy Negative Marriage
  • Isekai Insen ni Tensei shita Ore no Kounou ga Tondemosugiru
  • Nyan Koi (no updates since 2014ā€¦)
  • Pochiyama at the Pharmacy
  • Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki
  • While Killing Slimes for 300 Years, I Became the MAX Level Unknowingly
  • Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to

I really disliked what I read of overlord and Goblin slayer, and that isekai bullshit. Re:Zero is the only isekai that has escaped my ā€œAnime was a mistakeā€ category. Go read Zetman, or Gantz. Zetman is really meaty, Gantz is more flashy.

Then best manga of the decade koe no katachi. Itā€™s all drama, and itā€™s so fuckin good.

But thatā€™s not what I came here for. Just finished binge watching FranXX, I actually ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. A-1 pictures never inspires hope for me, but I started with trigger/gainax. Not gonna pass it up.

I hear everyone really hating on the show after like, episode 14-15, and I have to wonder if they just missed the point? Itā€™s the total reverse for me. I almost stopped before episode 6 came around and jump started the story for about 5 minutes. They just constantly get droning on and on about the dangers of zero two, the kids act weird and have weird selective amounts of knowledge about things they shouldnā€™t just for tropes sake.

Odd thing is, a guy thatā€™s been doing animation at Trigger since the beginning and worked on animation for FLCL and gurren lagann is one of the main writers (and this show is essentially Aim for the Top 3. But Trigger does 6 episodes of animation.

Sounds like you have a bias towards isekai, which Goblin Slayer is not. There are definitely good isekaiā€™s but you may not have read them yet.

Shit. None of that manga makes any sense and simply exists to satisfy gore fetishes. There are series that incorporate gore and horror well, Gantz is not one of them. See https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=108409

Great manga

I didnā€™t like this part either, I just thought ep 15 might be the turning point for good (where it becomes a better show) and it clearly didnā€™t. The show is too full of loose threads for my taste.

1 Like

Ok wtf, perusing some manga and I come across Fuuka Special Edition and itā€™s basically cinemax type hentai so I check the author and itā€™s made by the original creator Kouji Seo. While searching for that info I come across news that he has a new series so I see what that is all about and itā€™s a fucking Bakuman knock off

@Kat

Just skimmed through it. Iā€™ve already concluded itā€™s better than the Original Fuuka story.

2 Likes

While that is true this is fanfic levels of garbage

At least heā€™s going to get that money he would of gotten not fucking up the Fuuka Story at its peak.

1 Like

well Fuuka peaked at chapter 35 just before she gets rekt

had these chapters been in the original story it would of been a 9/10 instead of a 6/10.

1 Like

inb4 just watch the ova