Android smartphone with keyboard are back <3

The HTC G2 has a REALLY small screen.
No other modern phones have a physical keyboard.
So if I wanted a physical keyboard, it’s either an old Blackberry, an old Nokia, or a phone that doesn’t do any of the features modern phones do.
if I wanted to use the G2 (I still have mine) I won’t because it’s worse than trying to play a game on a 13" Grey-scale monitor at 640x480.

Sorry i thoughts you mean this one had a smaller screen than what you where running :roll_eyes::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ahh idk why but this reminds me of my beloved Nokia N900 :’)

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks hardware keyboards on phones are obsolete because of the ability to enter to type text by sliding?

Edit: Oh damn, just saw that german video above, definitely a spiritual successor to the N900!

Edit: s̶o̶m̶e̶ more chinese companies needs to make a modern interpretation of the N900 with modern hardware ASAP.

Their first one is kinda the same:

And the Cosmo

Get “Hacker Keyboard” on Android.

If it’s still available. Swipe is… not good.
I’ve had more spelling errors, and wrong words since I switched to a touch screen keyboard.
I used to type at 60-70WPM on the HTC G2.
Could also SSH into stuff and didn’t have to go digging for special characters.
It was nice.

2 Likes

Wait, what? I can barely hit that consistently writing proper 10-finger system on my Desktop PC. That’s in the neighboorhood of 300 characters per minute, which is well in the range of what you’d need to be a secretary or such.
I can’t imagine hitting that on a phone. Must have taken a LOT of practice.

I type anywhere from 70-100WPM on my desktop keyboard.
Lots of CLI work, keeps you writing at supersonic speeds.
I also type in DVORAK, not that it makes you faster, but I went from 65-75 in QWERTY, to where I am now.

Granted the last time I really dove into measuring my typing speed was with the Kinesis Advantage2. Haven’t done it since I got the FreeStyle Edge… Should probably do that at some point.

1 Like

That phone looks pretty interesting.
I don´t have a smartphone atm, but this one got my attention.
But how likely that this phone is going to be sold world wide,
is yet to be seen of course.
i like the idea of having an actual keyboard.
Because i totally hate toutch screens.

I still turn on my HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2) from time to time to update LineageOS. The screen is just too small now and the single core can barely keep up now adays. I still rock HTC phones, but I wish they would bring us one keyboard phone at least on the level of the HTC One M10. I currently have one of those.

Definitely will keep looking at this.

what do you mean by worldwide ? it’s a UK company, so Europe is good, i don’t know about Asia, but they do ship in the American continent.

I’m pretty sure they ship worldwide.

EDIT: sorry you said world wise … which is something i don’t understand. Dumb brain trying to fix my ignorance :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah i made typo, sorry not native English. :smiley:
But yeah curious if that phone is also going to be sold in Europe.

i did bought it (shame), and i’m in France. They have a specific qwertz keyboard for Germany… so yea, They sell in Europe

Okay that would be interesting then.

At first I thought this phone is awesome, but the more I think about it, the less I find it appealing. For me is having a big ass battery king, I have 5100mAh and it is awesome, never died on me, when I needed it and charging every second day is huge, because the lifetime is doubled and then the flip keyboard prevents putting on a case for better fall damage protection plus the curved glass is the coffin nail for this device, this would not survive a long time. My Phone as a 0.4mm thick plastic protective layer and there are dents all over it :see_no_evil:
On the other hands it hits all other boxes:

• Headphone jack!
  • Root-able with support for custom roms, super nice
  • almost stock android
  • expandable storage

apparently they planning a hard case for this, I wonder how well this would function and what it will protect

I am also the kind of people with a thick screen protector and the biggest spigen i can find. So I’ll see what first party case there is. The screen is the same as another popular phone so i don’t worry about that.
When it come to batteries, i find it ok mostly because i always carry a 30K mah external one. But i can see that it is uncommon.

2 Likes

This was presented to me yesterday as an alternative.
But it’s more PDA than phone, but has all phone capabilities.

https://planetcom.squarespace.com/device

1 Like

@DeusQain I know they already honored a sucessfull campaign so that a very good point, but the way it look really don’t appeal to me. I want to be able to use the smart part of my phone without the keyboard in the way.

Take my money now! I was an avid Motorola Droid/Milestone series user. I have been wishing for tactile keyboards again. This phone hits every requirement I always wanted.

The only issue I see is the possibility of Google services support and security upgrades. Also support for US GSM/LTE carriers are important to me.

From what i understand they support most network band worldwide, just check with your phone provider :slight_smile:

NETWORK
Global LTE (FDD+TDD), WCDMA/UMTS, CDMA/EVDO, GSM/EDGE
Cellular Bands;
GSM: 2, 3, 5, 8
WCDMA: 1, 2, 4, 5, 8
CDMA/EVDO: BC0, BC1
TD-SCDMA: 34/39
TDD-LTE: 38/39/40/41(100mhz)
FDD-LTE: 1, 2/25, 3, 4, 5/26, 7, 8, 12/17, 13, 20, 28

When it comme to google services support and security fix, they do there best to be certified android one so eventif they aren’t, i’m hopfull they will still do regular update.
the good new’s is that if the company goes under some day, lineageOS is usually pretty up to date.