Android emulating on Linux: QEMU/KVM or Waydroid + KWin (both not working as of writing this)?

I’ve been trying to get Android on both PC n Laptop for specific software that my loved one suggested me for reference poses (Drawing n such stuff), but it’s android only, and I’ve already messed with it. Why do I need a VM? Cuz I despise using phones for this stuff, my eyes hurt after 5 minutes of staring at this sodding brick. Anyway. I prefer it over what I have on PC (And blender is sadly out of scope due to my pc being, crap, and not liking me running blender), but I can’t decide which to go for, since both have issues (QEMU n Waydroid)
QEMU: the installed version never loaded
Waydroid: No wifi or seeing my apps/apk files on SSD.

I’d like to find out how to fix both of these, so I can use waydroid on my laptop, since it’s weaker, and QEMU on PC. Thanks, and sorry if this is a bit stupid.

Not necessarily what you want to hear, but maybe…

Android x86 if you manage to launch arm apps.
Buy strong sbc and buy cheap lcd.
Make yourself a remote screen on your device with arm and connect to PC / Lap.

If only SBCs were easily obtainable here w/ not mental prices. cough 180$ for 8GB rPi4… :facepalm:

Sorry, I’m a lil late to the convo but wanted to chime in.

If you use Win 11, you could probably just use WSA?

Super simple to setup and you don’t have to be stuck with the Amazon Appstore. You can sideload apps or other app stores like FDroid with adb

If you’re running Linux, have you ever tried Anbox? I’ve used it off and on in the past. It’s been around for awhile. They basically do some black magic voodoo and integrate prebuilt images and Android kernel to run natively under the normal kernel on the device/machine. So you can get direct hardware access. No need to passthrough anything to a hypervisor etc.

2 Likes

Anbox is outdated as sin and… Let’s just say it broke me mentally from how horribly janky it was to get it barely working >_>