Android data recovery in Bootloop (Xiaomi)

So today I turned on my Xiaomi Mi5 (I did not run any updates or anything before this, absolutely nothing) and all of a sudden, it was stuck in a bootloop. Now I want to completely wipe it, to fix this, but before that I want to recover my data. Is there any way I can access my files and recover my data? I can still access fastboot and the recovery (and ADB kinda). Also when I list the device in ADB devices, it shows up as b61077a4 sideload and im pretty sure it didnt always show up as sideload...

2 Likes

Update:I'm now installing twrp and I'll try to do it that way...

Something you can do is to try and get a working adb shell once you're in twrp and use adb pull to copy everything from your phone's memory to your pc, or you can just do backups with twrp. That's how I did it before flashing another ROM at least.

Thank you for your help, but I just fixed it. Because I installed twrp, I was able to access the files on my phone, through my pc (dont know why it didnt work before) and I recovered everything I needed. Though for some reason, I was only able to flash twrp using FWUL (a linux environment with a lot of android tools)

Update 2: For some reason my phone keeps turning off, making it impossible to actually flash the right rom (the flash process never seems to finish, so its definitely not supposed to do that)

What error do you get when trying to flash? This might be related to the fact that all 2016+ models have a locked bootloader.

Try flashing in fastboot with the Mi flash tool. Feed it a fastboot rom according to your device found here. Set clean all in the bottom off the tool and start flash. (I recommend the global stable versions)

If it errors out on something like "failed to write boot" then you need to unlock your bootloader with the tool found here. You will need a mi account for this and a reason why you want to unlock it. Mine was "To install miui 8 global fastboot rom" and I got my unlock code 5 minutes after applying. You will need a device that receives a text. If you got permission its just as easy as putting your phone in fastboot and clicking next on the screen. If you did this just try the flash tool again.

If you installed twrp to get root in miui i recommend to do fastboot boot twrp.img, install sysless root and reboot to keep getting updates.

Well, the problem was that my phone would always keep shutting down when in fastboot mode, the mi flash tool thought it was still flashing, not giving me any error. Also no my phone isn't rooted and yes I unlocked the bootloader long ago (came with some unofficial version of miui, that wouldnt get any updates, so I had to flash the proper version).
But now everything is fixed. I ended up installing twrp using FWUL, like I said before. From there, I could just wipe the device and flash the rom using twrp

If you have got stuck bootloop issue on Android phone, then you can fix and bypass boot loop issue using Custom Recovery mode. Below follow the steps how to fix boot loop issue:

• Enter into Custom Recovery mode by pressing Volume down and Power key simultaneously

• Select β€œAdvanced” option in Custom Recovery menu.

• Next choose β€œWipe Delvik Cache”. Choose β€œYes” when prompted for verification.

• Move to β€œMounts and Storage” and select β€œformat/cache” option. It will wipe out the cache files completely.

• Restart your device.

This solution is brought to you by: How to Fix Boot Loop Issue on Android without Losing Data

Like I said, i have already fixed it, but Im sure other people with the same problem may find this useful. So thanks anyway

1 Like

Yesterday my wife saw this post on Google, She introduced it to me since i am looking for some ways to recover deleted data on Android phone ,
P.S. I didn’t have a backup before the data was deleted

Necro’d thread. Feel free to make a new one to discuss!